Trying to be more openminded to various jobs...

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2023, 12:21 am

But always with the you need to be able to lift 50 pounds or a valid drivers license.

Like I am weak it is hard for me to attempt to lift 50 pounds, and I do not currently have a drivers liscense I probably should at the age of 33 but I don't. So it's just like two disqualifications right off, thinking of just giving in and working at walmart, seems they will hire anyone so idk if I did get a job there maybe I could at least get more job skill experience. To put forth to apply to other jobs after.

But also every job that looks like something I could do is thrown off by the being able to lift 50 pounds part, like I cannot do that...too small and weak but still seems like its an expectation for half the jobs...so like do I lie about it and just when it comes up ask for help, or be straightforward that I may struggle with idk heavier loads and need a coulple strong guys or gals with me to help unload cause I am not very strong idk. Like Idk what do you do when you are working class but can't regularly lift 50 pounds, like f**k I am not a big muscular woman so yes I struggle to lift 50 pounds, so why do half of all jobs have to require that I get equality but it doesn't erase that weak women do actually exist. I am sure there are weak men to...

Idk are people who can't just constantly lift 50 pounds just doomed for life or what.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2023, 4:22 am

What are the barriers, for you, to getting a driver's license?

Do most of the jobs requiring a driver's license also require you to own and use your own vehicle, or would most of them entail driving a company-owned vehicle?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2023, 1:14 pm

Even in restaurant retail sales jobs, lifting 50 pounds is extremely common in the job description

Burger king manager job description said, lift 70 pounds

I work at home Depot as a lot attendant. A doctor wrote a letter that I am not allowed to lift over 50 pounds . Corporate said it was fine

Otherwise , data entry clerk and janitor jobs don't involve lifting 50 pounds

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2023, 9:51 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Even in restaurant retail sales jobs, lifting 50 pounds is extremely common in the job description

Burger king manager job description said, lift 70 pounds

I work at home Depot as a lot attendant. A doctor wrote a letter that I am not allowed to lift over 50 pounds . Corporate said it was fine

Otherwise , data entry clerk and janitor jobs don't involve lifting 50 pounds

If a fast food manager is lifting 70 lbs, they're doing something wrong.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 12:35 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
What are the barriers, for you, to getting a driver's license?

Do most of the jobs requiring a driver's license also require you to own and use your own vehicle, or would most of them entail driving a company-owned vehicle?

I just need to practice, and then go in to take the drivers licence test. I have a driving permit, and drove with my mom some in the past but that was years ago...I could drive with my boyfriend in his car though to practice, so I can be prepared for the driving test. Mostly I never was in a position to afford a car so I never followed through with getting my drivers liscence.

That said I was ranting a bit, its really just one particular job that I was about to apply for til I noticed it said I needed a drivers liscence, it was just frustrating because I live pretty close and have an electric scooter I could use to get there in like 10 minutes. And it was just a job for preparing food and doing dishes for the little cafe part of a gas station so seems stupid I need a drivers license for that.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 6:22 pm

Well so far no dishwashing job ads require a driver's license or lifting 50 pounds. I have been a bit hesitant to apply for those because first time I tried that job it sucked, That restaurant had awful management and was just kind of a nasty work environment. I was good at it though and kind of enjoyed the work, just didn't enjoy not even being able to take even a 5 minute break, being given full time plus crazy over-time when I signed up for part time.

It is a type of work I can do though, so maybe I should give it another chance.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 8:59 pm

The job environment can be more important than the job itself! So yes, try dish washing again if you can find a restaurant with a good reputation for looking out for its workers. One place that I go to shut down for the day because it got too hot for its workers!

I used to hate going to amusement parks because I was too small for anything but the little kiddie rides!
It would have been a much different experience if I could have gone on half the rides.

I never did any heavy lifting at work. I'd always get someone else to do that for me!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2023, 12:48 am

BTDT wrote:
The job environment can be more important than the job itself! So yes, try dish washing again if you can find a restaurant with a good reputation for looking out for its workers. One place that I go to shut down for the day because it got too hot for its workers!

I used to hate going to amusement parks because I was too small for anything but the little kiddie rides!
It would have been a much different experience if I could have gone on half the rides.

I never did any heavy lifting at work. I'd always get someone else to do that for me!

I have been doing a pretty physical job and yeah I feel like I am not cut out for it, I thought maybe doing it for a while I'd get stronger and be able to handle it better but it has been a year and that hasn't even started happening. And I do have an unnamed genetic condition that seems to mostly manifest in me just always having weak muscles no matter what, its not muscular dystrophy but has simular features. Like at least my muscles are not deteriorating the way they would do with MD, but they are still weak and seem resistant to gaining any strength whatsoever.

And idk maybe I am a bit self conscious about it, but never really thought of that.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2023, 11:18 am

Best to start looking for another job while you have one. If you aren't employed they wonder why and don't hire you.
Last time I had my hair cut the person cutting my hair said that I was unusual for working in one place a long time.
All the people she could think of changed jobs frequently. I'm sure she knew a lot of people!

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2023, 11:46 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
But always with the you need to be able to lift 50 pounds or a valid drivers license.

Like I am weak it is hard for me to attempt to lift 50 pounds, and I do not currently have a drivers liscense I probably should at the age of 33 but I don't. So it's just like two disqualifications right off, thinking of just giving in and working at walmart, seems they will hire anyone so idk if I did get a job there maybe I could at least get more job skill experience. To put forth to apply to other jobs after.

But also every job that looks like something I could do is thrown off by the being able to lift 50 pounds part, like I cannot do that...too small and weak but still seems like its an expectation for half the jobs...so like do I lie about it and just when it comes up ask for help, or be straightforward that I may struggle with idk heavier loads and need a coulple strong guys or gals with me to help unload cause I am not very strong idk. Like Idk what do you do when you are working class but can't regularly lift 50 pounds, like f**k I am not a big muscular woman so yes I struggle to lift 50 pounds, so why do half of all jobs have to require that I get equality but it doesn't erase that weak women do actually exist. I am sure there are weak men to...

Idk are people who can't just constantly lift 50 pounds just doomed for life or what.

I used to work for UPS and unless there's a physical injury, lifting 50# is mostly a matter of knowing how to do it. We used to have some pretty tiny women that could lift that and more. The bigger issue tends to be when the weight is in larger boxes or ones that are oddly shaped.

That being said, I'd apply anyways or just ask how often that's going to need to be done. That 50# figure might just be an occasional thing, or more of a theoretical to try and avoid having a situation where nobody can do the lifting.
Sweetleaf wrote:
BTDT wrote:

I have been doing a pretty physical job and yeah I feel like I am not cut out for it, I thought maybe doing it for a while I'd get stronger and be able to handle it better but it has been a year and that hasn't even started happening. And I do have an unnamed genetic condition that seems to mostly manifest in me just always having weak muscles no matter what, its not muscular dystrophy but has simular features. Like at least my muscles are not deteriorating the way they would do with MD, but they are still weak and seem resistant to gaining any strength whatsoever.

And idk maybe I am a bit self conscious about it, but never really thought of that.

Body weight calisthenics is likely the way to go there. The exercises start out trivial to the point where pretty much anybody that isn't paralyzed can probably do it, and can work up to the point where hardly anybody can do it without years of training.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2023, 5:37 pm

Consider a pyramid model. At the base is where most people are. No qualifications. They mow lawns, wash dishes, flip burgers.
Add a certificate (maybe to drive a truck or forklift, mix cocktails, whatever) and you can move up a level, and there are slightly less people there. Less competition.
Add a diploma and rise. Add a degree and rise more.
Become a doctor or lawyer and you're near the top, and there's less competition. After all, an unemployed brain surgeon can mow lawns, but an unemployed gardener can't 'legally' perform brain surgery.

This is an illustration of a principle. The higher you rise, the more control you have over your career and the less competition you encounter (at least in theory). It's the first part of this that concerns us most. There's nothing wrong with menial jobs. They are there to be done. The only problem with them is the lack of personal power you have while doing them. You take what you can get.

Maybe you can aim to raise one level. That will give you options. A little more control. Getting your driving license would be a good start. Then make a choice about what work you'd like to do. Then write a list of as many things you could do to increase your value in that area. A certificate? Work experience? A club where you could develop your skills? Online resources?

Just one level. Unless you'd like to reach higher, in which case go for it.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2023, 4:07 am

It's very hard getting a job when you have Autism. Employers managers just do not want to deal with the drama of employing Autistic people.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2023, 2:37 pm

Rainbow_Belle wrote:
It's very hard getting a job when you have Autism. Employers managers just do not want to deal with the drama of employing Autistic people.

I don't disclose it in applications, yet people seem to have a sixth sense about me.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2023, 5:36 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

I don't disclose it in applications, yet people seem to have a sixth sense about me.

True. I drive, own my own house, have been married 20 years, and appear mostly 'normal'. Yet I visited one of our affiliate karate schools a couple of years ago, and being paired with another student for about 20 minutes to do an exercise that required pairing up, mid way through he asks me if I'm an Aspie.

It just happens. Weird.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2023, 4:26 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Rainbow_Belle wrote:

It is unfair that we can not be proud of having Autism. Discrimination against Autism is not going away.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2023, 3:50 am

Rainbow_Belle wrote:

Well, I don't mention the autism if the job wants to know of why I have been getting disability I'd just mention the PTSD the autism helped with getting disability but PTSD is more likely to get sympathy and understanding than 'oh I'm autistic'. But also saw a couple promising job adds today that I applied for...one is a smoke shop that sells pipes and bongs and such for sure something that I could probably do, as I am intersted in those sorts of things but it is nearly impossible to find job openings for that so could be 50 people already applied before I even sent mine in because what weed smoker wouldn't want to just work at a head shop. Then the other was a laundry attendent for some sort of residential home for old people or rehab or something and I can for sure do laundry.

Obviously the smoke shop sounds more ideal, but I could also wash laundry and deliver it back to the proper rooms, so I guess it is a matter of which one I hear back from or which one offers the better hours and pay. Or maybe neither of those will be right in which case I just keep looking,