Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Doggle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2023, 12:21 pm

Hi, I'm recently a very late self dx, so still learning and looking for ways to connect and work out what this new understanding means for me.

I've found a lovely community on Mastodon (an alternative to Twitter) which lead me here.

Feel free to say hi, offer advice, ask questions etc. Here's the intro I've started my profile with:

Self dx in my sixties in early 2023 (after watching The Accountant!) and omg does this explain my life, which is one big coping strategy. I live on a boat in Gloucestershire UK.

Retired ex digital designer, engineer, programmer, briefly teacher and counselor but essentially explorer. Have traveled widely inside and out.

I've done ok but at some cost and now learning and working out how to make the most of autistic me with my dog.

No longer sure I can do relationship but ever hopeful. Scared about aging, and losing independence and the space I need. Openness and honesty are my thing.

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2023, 12:32 pm

Welcome! Good to have you aboard. Hope you enjoy the forums, there's a wide range of folks here and topics to explore.

Would be cool to hear about your experience living on a boat some time, if you ever feel like sharing.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2023, 3:09 pm

welcome, sounds like a good fit for the group. Lots of self identified and recently diagnosed retired folks here, glad you are with us. (<3 dogs too)

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2023, 3:53 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you find it to be a nice place to frequent.

When I was 64 some observations by my relatives caused me to read about Autism...I thought it very unlikely I was Autistic (since I knew virtually nothing about it) but already felt I was somehow"different". Reading about Autism was a surprise: It described me! I got my bride to read about it and she agreed, it sounded like me. Of course, neither of us were well-educated on the topic so I didn't feel sure. I was able to get a formal diagnosis, however, while I was still 64. (I'm in the U.S. I gather getting a diagnosis in the UK is more of an undertaking.)

Oh, and I'm retired from IT. There are many reports of it being a good career field for us Aspies.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2023, 7:29 pm

Hello. Some of us from Britain here.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2023, 3:44 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2023, 11:59 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. "The Accountant" is also one of my favorite movies about Aspies. Like other aspies, when I grew up, I just found my own way. I developed a skill set that gave me traits that allowed me to run wild and free. I understand now what I am. You see I am a child deep down inside. I never became an adult. I can see all the pieces of my life and know how this trait happened.