Professor Accused of Being AI Bot Due to Neurodivergence

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2023, 11:32 am

CityLife

Quote:
A professor at Purdue University, Rua Williams, who identifies as autistic and uses they/them pronouns, recently faced an accusation of being an artificial intelligence (AI) bot. This incident occurred when someone requested information for a research project, mistakenly deeming Williams’ response as an AI-generated email.

Williams elaborated on how neurodivergent individuals and those learning English as a second language are often incorrectly flagged as using AI. While Williams couldn’t provide further details due to department protocol, they explained that their writing receives more scrutiny compared to people without autism or similar conditions. Consequently, this leads to longer review times for their work.

The Purdue Exponent highlighted that the current methods used to detect AI-generated writing fail to consider the writing styles of autistic individuals. Williams emphasized that these guidelines and AI detection software disproportionately impact neurodivergent students and those learning a second language. They pointed out the limited resources available for disabled students to protect themselves and suggested a greater emphasis on faculty pedagogy to prevent false accusations of cheating.

Colleges across the country are gradually expanding their support services for individuals with autism and other developmental disorders. This move aims to provide better assistance and accommodations for students who require additional support in their academic journeys.

I have a sinking feeling this is going to become the a new autism stereotype.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2023, 12:25 pm

As the article points out, it's not only autistic people who are impacted, but also people learning a second language. The common factor is that our speaking/writing styles are not completely mainstream.

Anyhow, as AI chatbots get to be more and more humanlike, I suspect that there will be an epidemic of false cheating allegations against culturally mainstream NT's too.

Yet another reason why the entire educational system needs a radical overhaul.