Anyone else baffled by finding a job?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2023, 12:10 pm

From fluid but somehow strict resume requirements, to networking with people you likely won't talk to again if you get the job, cover letters thar are somehow different but the same as resume summaries....

I feel like acquiring funds so I'm not homeless and starving is more complex than it needs to be. Is there a trick to this other than "talk to so and so but ignore so and so", ATS, linkedin, and so on?

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2023, 4:36 pm

You can safely ignore the job requirements as long as you can do the job. Nobody fits all the requirements. (I wish I had known that years ago)

Right now is a good time to be job hunting as there's a relatively large number of openings. Next year when we're likely to be in a recession, it will get tougher.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2023, 10:04 pm

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
You can safely ignore the job requirements as long as you can do the job. Nobody fits all the requirements. (I wish I had known that years ago)

Right now is a good time to be job hunting as there's a relatively large number of openings. Next year when we're likely to be in a recession, it will get tougher.

I dont know about that. I average 8 apps a day for a month now. Before it was 8 a week. Been huntin since January. I get a lot of "this job is closed" or "we're moving in a new direction." I have had a handful of "candidate with better qualifications" as well. I do ignore requirements as long as I can do most of them to some degree.

Got two degrees, a post grad cert, even a Homeland Security clearance. Nothin lol.