Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Sailon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2023, 6:10 pm

What are the best ways to meet others who are non-NT for those of us in the U.S.A.? I am generally not accepted amongst the neurotypical crowds and would like to make some friends near my geograpic location.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2023, 8:10 pm

It'll probably be difficult to find local meet ups in the U.S.A due to geography.

You could always try and get creative. Join a chess club or attend video game events or make a social media account, join some Autistic groups and try to meet up with people.

Avoid overly sociable places like bars, pubs or clubs. Obviously those would likely be a waste of time in seeking out fellow Autistic folk.

Sailon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2023, 3:50 pm

Thank you for the suggestions blitzkrieg.
What is the best way to find video game events?
Do you think SciFI, comic book, or anime events might be nearly as good too?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2023, 3:58 pm

Sailon wrote:
Thank you for the suggestions blitzkrieg.
What is the best way to find video game events?
Do you think SciFI, comic book, or anime events might be nearly as good too?

Yep, all of those that you mention (Sci-Fi/comic book or anime) events are full of quasi-Autistic nerds or diagnosed Autistic folk.

You should just use the keywords "video game events in *insert the area where you live*" or something like that into a search engine.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2023, 4:28 pm

Try looking for local autistic adult support groups on Meetup.com. Also on Meetup.com, look for local groups devoted to your interests/hobbies, whatever those might be.

Also, as others have suggested, use a search engine to find "_____ groups near ______" (filling in the blanks as appropriate).

Also, here on Wrong Planet and in any similar forums you're a member of, I would suggest that you edit your profile to include your location. Don't be specific enough to endanger your privacy, but I would suggest mentioning at least your state and, if it's a large state, your general region within the state, e.g. your nearest major metro area.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2023, 10:17 am

You could always ask friends or family whether they know any autistic folk or non-NT folk via their places of work, if they work, and ask to arrange a meet up.

Maybe for a walk or something, initially.