Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2023, 8:24 am

What does it mean exactley if you hear a 'negative opinion about someone'?

For example once I was at the pub and this girl who I just met for the first time pulled a mean face at me and did not speak/avoided eye contact with me for the rest of the night.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2023, 9:22 am

Maybe she was autistic.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2023, 9:27 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Maybe she was autistic.

No she talked/looked at other people for the rest of the night but she blanked me out completely.

Rotter
Toucan
Toucan

06 Aug 2023, 9:43 am

Do you mean that she said that you expressed a negative opinion? And then she avoided you for the rest of the night?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2023, 9:47 am

Rotter wrote:
Do you mean that she said that you expressed a negative opinion? And then she avoided you for the rest of the night?

No I am speculating that she might have heard a negative opinion about me from someone else in her social circle.

Rotter
Toucan
Toucan

06 Aug 2023, 10:04 am

Aha. That's certainly possible. Many people have a habit of criticizing someone behind his/her back. For example, many people are addicted to gossiping about coworkers. If that's what happened, then she is not the worst kind of person, because the worst kind of people continue to talk to you in a friendly manner while harshly criticizing you when you're not there to hear it. In your case, she pulled a mean face at you and avoided you. Therefore you know she doesn't like you. This is less bad than not knowing.

Alternatively, maybe nobody backstabbed you, rather she observed your body language or your manner of speaking, and she decided that you're different and "not normal", and then the discrimination center in her brain was activated, causing her to feel negative emotions about you, causing her to want to avoid you for the rest of the night.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2023, 10:08 am

Rotter wrote:
Aha. That's certainly possible. Many people have a habit of criticizing someone behind his/her back. For example, many people are addicted to gossiping about coworkers. If that's what happened, then she is not the worst kind of person, because the worst kind of people continue to talk to you in a friendly manner while harshly criticizing you when you're not there to hear it. In your case, she pulled a mean face at you and avoided you. Therefore you know she doesn't like you. This is less bad than not knowing.

Alternatively, maybe nobody backstabbed you, rather she observed your body language or your manner of speaking, and she decided that you're different and "not normal", and then the discrimination center in her brain was activated, causing her to feel negative emotions about you, causing her to want to avoid you for the rest of the night.

I asked one of my associates about that girl (her name is Meghan) not liking me and they said "I have not heard anything negative about you from her".

Coincidentally after I asked my friend about her Megan started talking to me and acting a lot more friendly :?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2023, 10:32 am

You need to have more confidence in yourself, Jamesy.

You have a condition (Autism) that essentially makes it difficult for you to socialize. Going to a pub full of what are probably NT's isn't going to yield positive results most of the time.

And that's perfectly reasonable & expected. Don't feel like there is something wrong with you.