New here from the Land of the Almighty Potato

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

AutieRob
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2023, 9:57 pm

This is my first post here. All my life I was associated with weird and the older I got, the worse the stigma got. I went undiagnosed because it was the late '60s and autism was seen as something different in society. In that era, the only mention of autism in pop culture was the Mannix episode "Chance Meeting", whereas a very young girl being raised by her father had it. She was nonverbal in the episode. This was when autism was a one-in-a-million affliction.

Throughout school years, the rep stayed with me. I was labeled as "ret*d" by many students and faculty between 1972 and graduation in 1986. I sought no further education because I'd had enough of people and just wanted to get into the job/vocation world. That eventually happened with contracting in 1988; by 1996 I was a flooring contractor and doing very well with performance and reputation. I got married in 1992 & became an instant stepdad, eventually had a daughter.

Things were going well enough despite many various episodes which interrupted my career & family life. In 2003 I was hit by severe fibromyalgia and both my career and marriage were finished. A formal diagnosis in 2007 ruled out MS, a prevalent condition in my family line, and established fibro.

I got custody of my daughter after her brother went into the Army; she was pregnant and her mother booted her out. So she came to me and I took her in. She had a wonderful little girl...and 2 years later, we'd noticed something was not right and she was eventually diagnosed with autism, major impairment. Eventually, she and her mom got their own place, her mom had another girl and she seemed to be doing well developing. "Mom" married, had a third daughter who also developed some signs and was eventually diagnosed with autism, minimal impairment. A boy was born in the family and is doing well, as is another granddaughter born 3 weeks before him. I never thought I was playing a part in all of this...

I also learned over time that I had a cousin, second cousin and nephew who were on the spectrum. On 14 December 2018 I was in MSP...and was diagnosed with autism, high-functioning. I brushed it off at first but shortly after the New Year, the reality hit, very hard...and I became sullen, sour, more distant than I already was. This went on for about 8 months until one day...the bad feelings inside just stopped. That shadow which both dogged and dodged me all these years now revealed its face, reached out for me. I took hold. I began coming to terms with this being, slowly. I finally just accepted it.

To treat myself to this revelation, I gave myself the gift of telling my implied masculinity good-bye. I'd had it with masculinity...I didn't fit in anyway. Good riddance. I also gave more into something else about me but I won't discuss that here; let's just say it's a lifelong quirk and leave it at that.

I am neither married nor am I in a relationship...and I want neither. Taking care of myself is a challenge enough, nobody should be saddled with my life. Relationships beyond friendship are completely out. I live alone and will continue to do so until my body can no longer live. In the meantime, friends who understand keep me busy.

Hobbies are: automotive maintenance & restoration, home improvement, mechanical tinkering, woodworking, sewing, aviation, collecting...just keeping myself healthy & amused. Taking trips is another hobby, infrequent as they are.

Guess that's as in-a-nutshell as I can make this. Hello, everybody, from Boise, Idaho!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2023, 10:48 pm

Hi Autie, and welcome to WP.

I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

We have a lot in common.

Issy

AutieRob
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2023, 11:31 pm

I'd also like to mention, which I forgot about in my first post, that I am asexual. Thank you.

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 9:56 am

welcome i hope you like it here and make many friends

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 1:40 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you find some comfortable socializing here.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 2:00 pm

Am guessing all Auties are welcome here on this here planet....and sexualities , as there seems to be a higher Variance of that in the Neuro Diverse population. So that being said , Welcome to Wrong Planet .
Your Auto restoration stuff sound particularily interesting..... :D , As am slightly in a tight situation with my 1951
Straight 8 Buick that needs a new or rebuilt starter... if you know a direction , i might look in ? please feel free to offer that info. ??. :D Just Askin'"?

where ever you go ,there you are

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 3:33 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 9:25 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 9:53 pm

Welcome to WP!

I love your signature! Nice to see another MST3K fan. :D

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

AutieRob
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Aug 2023, 8:50 pm

Well, thank you all for a wonderful welcome! Still a bit skitterish but I'll manage eventually.

Thank you, honeytoast, it's good to see more MSTies here and there. Just wish there was a place to easily access and keep viewing the old Joel/Mike era...sure miss it all.

And heya, Jakki! Afraid the best I could help ya on a starter would be for a Gen3 Chrysler minivan product or a last-generation Geo Metro. I've never owned a vehicle older than 1964. And that straight-eight sounds exotic! The era before the V8! Bet that's some torque!

Anyway, again: thank you all for the welcome, looking forward to the future here!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2023, 4:51 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I owned a fast car once, a really fast car. It was a 1970 hemi cuda. It moved like the speed of light and was a thrill to drive.

AutieRob
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2023, 11:14 am

I'm gonna just go, I think this was a mistake on my part. Thanks for letting me post. Goodbye.