Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Highly_Autistic
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2023, 3:38 pm

Well, i dont make much effort to socialize, and i dont go to a social setting much. Even when i rarely go, i dont really fit in.

At the moment im super lonely and I dont have interest in people. I disgust most people. But finding some like minded friends may be helpful.

Anyways, in a month or 2, i might start going to university for second time. Im pretty sure i'll have hard time socializing. Why is it hard to find like minded friends and get along with them ? Did you naturally fit in at university / college or try hard?

Sometimes I fall into thoughts like "holy sh.. you are 25 and still cant have any friends"

Actually the difficulty of communicating and getting along with them bothers me more than loneliness.

Ok, now your thoughts, do you have any experience like this, how do you cope with these hardships ?
Thanks for reading

AnomalousAspergian
Raven
Raven

17 Aug 2023, 6:24 am

I'm a few years older than you but still share your frustration of feeling like you don't fit in. I attend a few local groups that are for people on the autism spectrum. There is a walking group, a pub meetup, a board gaming session and a few online talks that are held every month.

However, I tend to still feel lonely. While I do get on with most of the group members they tend to be a kind of casual friendship and I don't mee up with any of them outside of that group setting. As a result, I still tend to feel like I generlly don't fit in. I suppose it's difficult to find someone that is interested in talking about my interest: politics and philosophy.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2023, 6:28 am

When I was a teenager most of my friends were either way younger than me or way older than me. I didn't know how to be a teenager, or how to relate to other teenagers. But I knew how to be a kid.

I have friends these days, mostly online friends. But I find I get easily overwhelmed by too much social stuff.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2023, 3:46 am

The world can go #$%! Itself! It is unfair that we are not accepted for having Asperger's/High functioning autism. It should be a crime to discriminate against us. We are mocked, ridiculed and insulted. This world disgusts me.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2023, 9:05 pm

AnomalousAspergian wrote:
I'm a few years older than you but still share your frustration of feeling like you don't fit in. I attend a few local groups that are for people on the autism spectrum. There is a walking group, a pub meetup, a board gaming session and a few online talks that are held every month.

However, I tend to still feel lonely. While I do get on with most of the group members they tend to be a kind of casual friendship and I don't mee up with any of them outside of that group setting. As a result, I still tend to feel like I generlly don't fit in. I suppose it's difficult to find someone that is interested in talking about my interest: politics and philosophy.

Suggestion: Consider starting your own local autistic social group with a subgroup for autistic people interested in discussing politics and philosophy.

My own set of chat groups includes both a General Societal/Political Discussion Group and an Autism Politics Discussion Group. The general politics group is open only to people who have attended a few meetings of at least one of our other chat groups, to discourage people who join us just to propagandize.

If you or anyone else here is interested in the possibility of starting a group, we can maybe start a separate thread here on how to start a group.