Veteran

02 Dec 2023, 1:07 pm

Mikurotoro92 wrote:
It all boils down to 2 things:

The disability itself

and

The loneliness and isolation caused by the disability

I will go into more detail later

Okay it's time to go into more detail about exactly why people with disabilities struggle with finding love and friendship!

I am Autistic, although high-functioning (Aspergers)

Most people with Autism tend to isolate themselves from other people which would make friendship or love harder to obtain since in order to get those things you MUST be social and get out there to talk to people

This is part of why I joined Day Program

I know people who have had success with online dating but it is too risky for a naive Autistic person like me so I would rather meet someone in the community (organically)

Also Autistic people struggle with interpreting social cues and knowing how to start conversations which is certainly hurting things too!

Romantic and even platonic relationships are built upon communication

How can you be expected to communicate with a partner or friend if you don't know how to properly start a conversation?

Luckily both Day Program and my therapist are helping me with this

Eventually they will get me to the point of dating and marriage!! !

But it's going to take time

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2023, 1:40 pm

You have time. I think when you meet the right person, one of you will talk! I have had entire conversations without talking and walking off wishing I had talked...
Starting conversations can be hard. Once started it is easier. Just do what I do and steer the conversations towards bicycles, or trains! :D

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2023, 11:18 am

its either normal or just very common among male aspies to far into their 20s, 30s and older and have never dated, never been in a relationship before.