What do you can't find something in your field?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

29 Aug 2023, 12:09 pm

KitLily wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Oh, I'd love to do a degree in Sociology, it's my dream!

Good luck finding a job!

so what do you like about sociology?The sociology classes I took were real interesting.I know its a low-paying field for most people but you learn a lot about of the world with it.

That's exactly the reason: I want to learn about people, the world, why they behave as they do. And it sounds more interesting to study groups than individuals like I would in psychology and I like collecting data and seeing what it means. So collecting data about people would be interesting too.

Social Psychology is the mixing of soc and psych. Also super interesting. Its how individuals function in and can change dynamics of groups.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2023, 12:58 pm

GeekyFreak wrote:
Social Psychology is the mixing of soc and psych. Also super interesting. Its how individuals function in and can change dynamics of groups.

It all sounds interesting tbh.

For A level I studied Social Biology, which is just the biology of humans, not other organisms. I really liked that subject.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2023, 1:48 pm

Sounds like a place to escape from.

Spending $100 in travel costs to earn $300 is pretty bad.. BUT, if it's the best option one has available then it's still worth doing for as long as it takes - if it covers the bills, keeps you alive, and allows for Some savings towards an eventual escape.

Do you have a pc/chromebook or something vs just a smartphone to get online? I'd consider any/all online gigs to make a bit of money however I could. Selling stuff on eBay, completing surveys to make an extra $10-20 here and there, doing some sort of digital work whether proofreading/editing, writing, graphics etc literally anything you might have the skill set to complete and deliver via email that could get you paid. I've never spent time on online freelancing sites, but I'd be tempted to click around a site like fiverr and see if there's a segment you could participate in. Might find some sort of niche that you could do with an internet connection that'd make you a bit of money here and there.

Could also use the internet to find real world things.. like paid gigs on craigslist or via a Facebook group or via an app like task rabbit where people look for labourers, skilled tradespeople/technicians etc to hire for various tasks from gardening to construction, moving to auto repair etc. Might be some gigs offered within driving range of you.

I'd put ads and offers out for everything that's possible to do where you are.. window washing, fence painting, home cleaning.. whatever - literally take on any and all small jobs rinse & repeat until you have enough money saved to gtfo and relocate to anywhere better. Might not be much of anything in terms of real world physical jobs and gigs, but thanks to the internet you might be able to find weird random gigs like proofreading someone's new ebook they paid someone to produce for them who might not have perfect grammar/spelling, or editing instructions for a product that have been translated from another language, heck there's even people making money just posting product reviews. You could be an online tutor to someone studying in your field etc etc. There's bound to be unlimited numbers of strange little niche ways to make small amounts of money over and over on the internet - just gotta explore until you find one or five different ones that you're able to do and find enough volume of them being offered from around the world in order to rake in a few dollars for as long as it takes to make the money you need.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

31 Aug 2023, 10:41 am

That $300 gets eaten up by utilities pretty fast. Not to mention car maintenance and such.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 1:22 pm

GeekyFreak wrote:
shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Granted my work history is pretty bad, but I think that there are a lot more sociology degree holders than sociology jobs.

While I might be wrong it seems to me like the vast majority of sociology jobs are in research at universities. Those jobs are extremely competitive

How about a job that requires any degree?

Teaching and insurance

Marketing

Restaurant retail sales

Again I am not a career counselor

If I am totally off base, please just ignore my post

Not gonna ignore you cause they're great ideas. In fact I've tried em lol.

K12 does often require an ed degree. In my current state it does not but Walmart pays more and is less stress. Walmart made me want to go postal. I have applied to be an adjuct professor at 6 or 7 different colleges in multiple fields including CIS intro, Sociolgiy, Psychology, English, and ESL assistant.

Actually just has an insurance firm ghost me (underwriter) which sparked this post!

Tried marketing. LionsGate loves to send me job openings for it but never hire me lmao. No response on why. Just rejection letters.

2007, Bachelor's in Cognitive Science

all the jobs i got after that, did not require that degree, or any other degree.

teaching credential, requires 2.67 GPA (out of 4). mine's too low.

applied for some marketing jobs. did not get them.

been working minimum wage jobs. menial labor. good thing: zero student loans. zero debt. zero children. zero car.

some fields (such as sociology and cognitive science), have a lot more graduates, than jobs. besides, my degree has been "stale" for a long time. furthermore, no matter how many job skills you get, someone with a better personality will always get the job. (limiting reagent).

and now costs are skyrocketing due to Coronavirus.

been applying for other jobs. they won't hire me either.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 1:45 pm

GeekyFreak wrote:
That $300 gets eaten up by utilities pretty fast. Not to mention car maintenance and such.

So instead you let utility bills go into the negative instead of having Some income to maintain a neutral balance until you can increase your income?

If treading water is the best option you have for now, it's better than giving up and drowning in debt.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

01 Sep 2023, 6:45 am

goldfish21 wrote:
GeekyFreak wrote:

So instead you let utility bills go into the negative instead of having Some income to maintain a neutral balance until you can increase your income?

If treading water is the best option you have for now, it's better than giving up and drowning in debt.

My house payment alone (no taxes) is like $500. Electric tends to run $150. SNAP does not cover all food and medical still requires copays. SNAP goes down with income while cost of medical goes up.

So lose everything and be horrifically overworked and no time to do better interviews (spot I was stuck in for 3 years) or lose my home with time for interviews?