Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

divisor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Aug 2023, 11:47 pm

Hello, new here. I'm quite shy...trying to be a little more social.

I'm NT with ADHD, possibly autistic. Getting evaluated for autism as an adult is difficult and expensive! The one place I've found wants 2400 and they don't take insurance. Whatever I've got is getting worse...starting to have selective mutism now due to overwhelming anxiety. People are a puzzle where the pieces don't seem to fit right and some of them are a little smudgy.

Outside of worrying about that stuff, I like programming, math, and video games.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2023, 1:13 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you like it here.

If you are in the U.S., I suggest you talk to your insurance company before proceeding too far on an Adult Autism Assessment. When I decided I wanted an Assessment one of the first things I did was check my insurance.

The folk who answered the phone there were immediately interested in helping. They promptly sent me a referral to someone to perform the assessment. Um...the referral was no good because they didn't do assessments! I called my insurance again and got sent a few more referrals...also useless. Then they said I could find someone to do the assessment and they would write a referral for it, but whoever did the assessment needed to be a licensed psychologist with ABA certifications.

It took me a few months to determine they were wrong. ABA certifications were not needed!

I suspect they were of such limited help because not many Adult Autism Assessments get done.

I did finally find a psychologist willing to do the assessment. She did not coordinate with any insurance. However, after the assessment I was able to submit the bill to my insurers for partial repayment of what I paid her.

In the confusion with my insurance company I got careless and went to a psychologist who was not on their network of providers. My insurers (I had two) collectively covered about half of what I'd spent. I do not know if they would've covered more if I'd stayed in-network.

So, my recommendation is to consult with your health insurance. You might be able to submit assessment charge to your insurer for at least partial coverage. (And find out if the part will be bigger if you stay in their network of providers.)

Good luck!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2023, 3:47 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I am sorry that you are enduring stress. Those who communicate on this site identify with feeling like we are on the Wrong Planet. We are very different. Many women are better suited for adapting but after several years, around the age of their 30, come to the determination that they do not fit in to the NTs of the world. (I know that you described yourself as an NT, but perhaps that is incorrect.)

You wrote, "I like programming, math, and video games." Another description of an ND. An ND or “neurodivergent” person describes a person on the autism spectrum, to someone whose brain processes information in a way that is not typical of most individuals.

Many people do not go through formalities and get diagnosed as autistic. In many countries, they may undergo tests as children but once they pass into adulthood, they are treated differently.

Anyways Welcome to the site.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2023, 5:51 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2023, 5:15 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2023, 5:38 pm

Welcome aboard.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2023, 5:49 pm

Welcome to WP!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2023, 7:03 pm

There is a forum here on Wrong Planet about games and video games.

softlyspeaks41
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2023, 10:19 pm

Hello and welcome. I hope things get sorted for you with the potential assessment etc.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2023, 7:02 am

welcome, glad you are with us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2023, 7:08 pm

divisor wrote:

Hello, new here. I'm quite shy...trying to be a little more social.

I'm NT with ADHD, possibly autistic. Getting evaluated for autism as an adult is difficult and expensive! The one place I've found wants 2400 and they don't take insurance. Whatever I've got is getting worse...starting to have selective mutism now due to overwhelming anxiety. People are a puzzle where the pieces don't seem to fit right and some of them are a little smudgy.

Outside of worrying about that stuff, I like programming, math, and video games.

If you have ADHD, you are some variation of neurodiverse which would preclude being NT.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2023, 7:20 am

Welcome

ShamanQueen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Sep 2023, 7:49 pm

Welcome here, if you want to be friends you know where to find me, :mrgreen: