ThePerpetualLoner says Hi (and a bit of waffling)

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ThePerpetualLoner
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Sep 2023, 2:52 pm

Hi

I'm currently on the waiting list for diagnosis for Autism and Arfid. (May have misspelled ARFID)

Referred by a nutritionist and psychiatrist after 15 years of misdiagnosis haha they kept putting down to pretty much the whole DSM...i was racking up quite a portfolio.

I am a complete an utter loner...have my baby and partner and thats it. I have somehow managed to make it through my whole childhood and life without a friend haha i use to sit with the dinner ladies at lunch.

Just came on here really to hopefully access some sort of human interaction. Also really trying to get back into work, but my social inability is making me fall flat, there is currently a massive focus on team building and a desire for social butterflies in the work force..obviously that seems to be setting me apart in the wrong way..also i have no social media, apparently employers think its a red flag..woops.

So perhaps i can steal some tips and tricks on navigating life going forward.

Gosh not sure how i sign off...don't think kind regards fits. Oh well..

Kind Regards,

PerpetualLoner

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2023, 2:56 pm

Welcome to Wrongplanet

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2023, 3:14 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2023, 8:48 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you find it a nice place to visit. You can interact with us, and some of us are kind of human. :roll:

I'll admit ARFID is a new one to me, but some of the issues you mention sound kind of familiar.

Recommendation? I think NTs like to talk and like to think they are the center of the universe. Listen politely, pretend to be impressed, and encourage them to elaborate. I'm guessing they'd like that.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2023, 10:19 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Welcome to WP! I hope you find it a nice place to visit. You can interact with us, and some of us are kind of human. :roll:

I'll admit ARFID is a new one to me, but some of the issues you mention sound kind of familiar.

Recommendation? I think NTs like to talk and like to think they are the center of the universe. Listen politely, pretend to be impressed, and encourage them to elaborate. I'm guessing they'd like that.

I did a quick look because I didn't know what it was I looked it up and found this
Code:
So then, how much of an overlap does autism have with ARFID?

Current research recognizes that autism is seen in those with ARFID at higher rates than the general population rate of 1.5%. Estimates of co-occurring ARFID and ASD range from 12.5% all the way up to 33.3% (Harris et al., 2019; Inouye 2021).

https://www.feast-ed.org/the-connection ... uye%202021).

ThePerpetualLoner
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Sep 2023, 1:43 am

Thank you :D

Thank you for the tips too!

Ah yes ARFID for me is i have sensory issues with certain textures, i also have a regimented order in how i eat. So it gets a lot of food groups cut out, so in the past i have suffered with malnutrition and they kept assuming that as a young teen girl it must be Anorexia.

My Dad is quite similar too and I do seem to be very simular to him.

Apologies if the human comment was insulting. (I dont know what rolling eye emoji means) I have always used terms that others find odd but I dont notice unless its pointed out.

Again thank you for welcoming me :)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2023, 1:45 am

You have a baby and a partner?
That's doing quite well, imo.

What is ARFID?

ThePerpetualLoner
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Sep 2023, 1:58 am

@IsabellaLinton thank you :) I am very lucky haha ARFID stands for Avoidant Restrictive intake disorder. Ive been like it since a child, issues with textures or a food that i dont expect, and i have set routine with my food. I get really stressed if i have a bad texture and i wont be able to eat again till next meal, it sounds silly but i get quite physical reactions so its not purposeful at all.

ThePerpetualLoner
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Sep 2023, 2:01 am

My partner has ADHD, we are sort of the outcasts. (I know its a horrible way to put it, but we are in a small village and growing up without people knowing about ND means your labelled as bad kids)
So we really get on and accept eachothers quirks, we have become eachothers stability and support :)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2023, 2:03 am

I'm moving to Devon. Well likely. My daughter is, and I might join her.

It sounds like you're very happy in your little Lonerdom.

Congrats on making it work.

ThePerpetualLoner
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Sep 2023, 2:10 am

Oh lovely, Devon is beautiful. Dartmoor is my favourite place to visit and picnic, rivers, woods, dramatic scenery. Give it a visit wherever you are in Devon. Also there are quite a few interesting seasonal events that take place like Tar Barrels.

I think your daughter will love it. Everytime i have moved away, i have always ended up back here.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2023, 9:01 am

Hello and welcome. I never was officially dx'd with arfid, but I used to check a lot of the boxes for it. It's not as problematic for me these days, but I still have a somewhat dysfunctional relationship with food...just not to such an unhealthy degree. Progress. I'll take it. And continue to work on it.

Anyway, welcome again.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2023, 11:45 am

Ahoy-hoy.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2023, 11:49 am

ThePerpetualLoner wrote:
@IsabellaLinton thank you :) I am very lucky haha ARFID stands for Avoidant Restrictive intake disorder. Ive been like it since a child, issues with textures or a food that i dont expect, and i have set routine with my food. I get really stressed if i have a bad texture and i wont be able to eat again till next meal, it sounds silly but i get quite physical reactions so its not purposeful at all.

OH! Thank you! I've not heard the acronym but that sounds identical to my daughter's issue with food texture.
She has extreme food aversions to the simplest of foods and she's so picky it's almost a nightmare to feed her.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2023, 6:00 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

spasmolytic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Sep 2023, 2:26 pm

Weirdly, I enjoyed the "team building" aspect of working in an agency setting, as long as I never had to go first on anything. If I got unlucky and had to go first/close to first, I'd just fall back on saying, "...and I have no idea what I'm doing! What am I supposed to be doing?", or any other way I could think to stall for time (or completely derail the vibes so someone else could sneak in and completely steal the conversation by accident) :lol:

Also, hello!