Two months unemployed, half a dozen interviews nothing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

georgewilson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2023, 7:32 pm

I know it's a holiday weekend at least in the U.S., but I look forward to feedback whenever it comes. I'm two months into unemployment after my layoff from a 10-year job, the last 6 months my first ever 40 hours full-time though remote. It ended due to a client making us go in person after the site in town closed, and the nearest alternative is an hour and a half away in the transit-poor Midwest. I've been applying a lot and am dealing with some of my ADD and OCD sidetracking, even some PDA with the relatively harsh unemployment system of my GOP-run state demanding 3-4 attempts a week with trackers and consistent fraud prosecution threats, which they tell me I have nothing to worry about. Half my applications get interviews but they've all been rejections or clearly unsuited (bad conditions not up to par for the cost of living) such that I've dropped some before they could give clear offer that would cut benefits. Despite the bull market for job-seekers, I'm struggling to find a fit, and to boot I fear I'm undateable as a male unless I can fix it and am bummed not to be able to attend some of the events or take some of the trips I otherwise might this summer festival season. I have been able to develop some neglected hobby projects, though.

My friends are being nice and my references are great, but I can't see them between the resume and references the interview seems to be the weak link as I hear a lot on here. I have a humanities B.A. with no teaching certification and struggle to sell myself, though I can kind of script a decent patter for some situations. I'm not a "manager" type, and while I don't apply for leadership, I'm not sure how to convey that "just enough" ambition to clinch "thinking" jobs. Anything with my hands or skilled trades frighten me because of dyspraxic clumsiness that makes me fear injuring myself or others and damaging property, so I'm left with a shortage of entry-level work that I can do and feel I'm sort of developmentally in the same place as a high-school grad with an unimpressive, if long history. If I didn't have the ten years at the same job I think I'd be doomed, but I'm really wondering what steps I need to take to get something definitive without spending money I don't have. A friend on the spectrum recommended Robert Half so that might be a good start.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

05 Sep 2023, 5:16 am

That is because there isn't a bull market for job seekers right now.

There are more job listings than open jobs. In the US, you can post fake jobs. Many companies post so their stocks don't drop. If it appears they can hire more, investors won't complain. So they make fake job postings.

Gotta love the freedom of the good ol US of A.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 1:26 pm

Not sure it is correct that there is not a bull market for job seekers right now. There certainly is no bull market for holders of advanced degrees in psychology and sociology.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 1:35 pm

My son has a Master's degree and applied to 182 jobs since May.
Wrote 182 tailor-made cover letters.

Had three interviews.
Didn't get any of them.

He does have a job but he was looking for something better.

*His degrees are in Public Policy and Law.

alwaysRootingForTheAI
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Sep 2023, 6:43 am

I also had a really hard time being unemployed. The lack of daily structure, a place to go for most of the day outside my home, and aimlessness were all really difficult for me to deal with. I was getting increasingly miserable as time went on, and felt like I was just throwing my resume into the void. Talking to other job-seekers this is not unusual, now or in general. Wish you the best of luck.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2023, 9:00 am

rse92 wrote:
Not sure it is correct that there is not a bull market for job seekers right now. There certainly is no bull market for holders of advanced degrees in psychology and sociology.

Was that a crack at me? Cause I also do AI, ML, Full Stack, ML, AI, Data Analysis, and machine engineering lol. These are my highest degrees (although AI/ML is a grad level cert meaning I needed a Bachelor's to even get in.)

Also have a background in medicineand built a machine to help teach the citric acid cycle and how DNA turns into proteins. Working on a machine that can play piano with artificial limbs.

But ok dude :lol:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 9:06 am

GeekyFreak wrote:
rse92 wrote:

Was that a crack at me? Cause I also do AI, ML, Full Stack, ML, AI, Data Analysis, and machine engineering lol. These are my highest degrees (although AI/ML is a grad level cert meaning I needed a Bachelor's to even get in.)

Also have a background in medicineand built a machine to help teach the citric acid cycle and how DNA turns into proteins. Working on a machine that can play piano with artificial limbs.

I think the comment he made was a general one and may have been related to the OP who said they have a B.A in humanities.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2023, 9:11 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
GeekyFreak wrote:
rse92 wrote:

I think the comment he made was a general one and may have been related to the OP who said they have a B.A in humanities.

I made a comment in another spot about being a soc/ psych major so weird coincidence hence the honest question on top.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 9:13 am

GeekyFreak wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
GeekyFreak wrote:
rse92 wrote:

I made a comment in another spot about being a soc/ psych major so weird coincidence hence the honest question on top.

Oh, I didn't see that post. That may change things then? Interesting.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 3:09 pm

Whether or not there is a bull market for job seekers is in the eye of the beholder.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 3:10 pm

GeekyFreak wrote:
rse92 wrote:

It's not a crack. But I would ask what did all those degrees and all that learning get you?

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2023, 7:01 pm

rse92 wrote:
GeekyFreak wrote:
rse92 wrote:

It's not a crack. But I would ask what did all those degrees and all that learning get you?

1. Two government jobs at one point
2. A deep understanding of research methods including why most "research" in ads is bull
3. I'm qualified to start ASL interpreter licensing due to Deaf culture studies and immersion
4. Knowledge that tons of brain issues are hereditary and will happen whether we're eating "clean" or not
5. Brains are not squishy but rather hard. They are slippery af though
6. I can make an artificial brain (AI)
7. A project I did was brought to board meetings regarding how "gifted" kids really work. It was shot down because schools with GATE programs attract higher scoring pupils which means more money for the school. In other words, GATE is a shiny tag that doesn't do much but costs a lot.
8. The US government takes geography seriously. Higher cost plots are sometimes simply on better soil. Lower income neighborhoods are often on land that will have a tendency to wash away or be natural disaster prone. Wish it was a conspiracy but you can consistently see it using various GIS and Census data.
9. If you fake charisma, people will still believe you over anyone else.
10. Deception is allowed for the sake of studies as long as the study sponsor approves.

And so much more but I didn't spend all that time and money to give everything for free :wink: