Has Ronnie ever worked again? I could end up like him

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mirabo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Sep 2023, 11:58 pm

Ronnie was a Boston Market employee who was on Undercover Boss 10 or 11 years ago and was fired on the spot for some badmouthing remarks:

[youtube video id : 3ED3z7YAG-o ]

Over the years, I’ve occasionally been concerned for Ronnie, and for myself. As an aspie who is often uncomfortably frank, I have to admit that under enough stress, I might easily have a day where I went to work, vented at the wrong time and ended up EXACTLY like him.

How badly did he f**k up his career here in your opinions? He'd be 30 or slightly younger now. Is it likely that he worked in hospitality again? Could he be hired in ANY field - construction, retail, anything? I'm oddly paranoid that he's lived on the streets ever since, and is destined to do so through his entire forties and fifties, etc. - is that a likely outcome?

Would talking smack about customers be considered “gross misconduct” in most states?

These questions probably sound pathetic but the answers are indeed helpful, even for my own career guidance… I'm in constant proximity to being Ronnie. Thanks in advance. - Marty

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2023, 12:04 am

Mirabo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2023, 12:04 am

ah thanks for that too, I'm too new

Mirabo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2023, 3:27 pm

Can a person ever recover from an act like what he did here? Is it as bad as having a criminal record and likely to make someone unemployed for multiple decades? I'm starting to panic here and would like either reassurance or bluntness

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2023, 6:43 pm

In the grand scheme of things, what Ronnie did was basically nothing. Odds are it barely affected him.

People do what Ronnie did all the time. Even managers and owners. It's not even like a big secret that service workers hate crappy customers. You generally don't get fired just for talking bad about customers, as long as it's not in front of the customers - and even then, there are exceptions. The only reason Ronnie got fired for it is cos the cat got let out of the bag, and the manager lady would have looked bad if she let him stay. For all we know, she may have even hired him back later - or never even actually fired him to begin with.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Mirabo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2023, 8:56 pm

This is the kind of response I was looking for, thanks so much. I wouldn't knowingly make a blunder like this specific one at work (and I don't work in service anyway), but just by accident I might easily do something or act in some way that I didn't know was forbidden, hence the concern.

Glad to know if something comparable happens to me, then it's actually worth going for a plan B or a new job instead of giving up

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2023, 9:45 am

uncommondenominator wrote:
In the grand scheme of things, what Ronnie did was basically nothing. Odds are it barely affected him.

People do what Ronnie did all the time. Even managers and owners. It's not even like a big secret that service workers hate crappy customers. You generally don't get fired just for talking bad about customers, as long as it's not in front of the customers - and even then, there are exceptions. The only reason Ronnie got fired for it is cos the cat got let out of the bag, and the manager lady would have looked bad if she let him stay. For all we know, she may have even hired him back later - or never even actually fired him to begin with.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

One of the managers where I work was showing a note beging for help due to being understaffed to various other managers. It's one of the grossest things I've heard about recently, and she has a job. I'm sure that Ronnie was fine, even if not immediately afterwards.