Some dude with a big snake, and why is he here in my class?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2023, 4:23 pm

His name was "Dale" (Always!)

His credentials are impeccable, and you can ask any of his 37 ex-employers to vouch for him. Oh, except for the ones that have since moved, changed their phone numbers or developed very specific types of dementia that prevent them from remembering Dale at all, or instead, causing an incoherent, foaming-at-the-mouth rage at any mention of Dale's name.

Dale’s animal husbandry skillset is remarkable, though I recommend that you don’t use the term “Animal Husbandry” in Dale’s earshot, as he seems to have a rather offbeat and highly controversial understanding of that term.

Dale’s earliest experience with snakes goes back to when he was 5, and his big sister’s latest 39-year-old boyfriend (also named “Dale”, as one should now expect) introduced him to his latest reptilian barter acquisition, revealed to young Dale through a light haze of “home-rolled cigarette” smoke, and drawn slowly and cinematically from a feed sack in the trunk of the rusty ’74 Camaro that older Dale always referred to as “my ride”.

Young Dale asked in wonder what kind of snake it was, and what was the scientific name of this species?, to which his senior responded

“What do I look like to you, kid, some kind of f*****g NERD?!?”

“The dumb-ass I traded a 24-pack of PBR to for this here monster said It’s a God-Damned North Carolina Cobra!”

Young Dale’s life changed forever at that very moment, and after a quick trip to the local Urgent Care facility to treat his very first snakebite wound, Young Dale spent the next decades of his life acquiring, selling, pawning, housing, accidentally killing with a vacuum cleaner and arguing about every large snake within the Tri-County area.

Dale’s knowledge of the suborder Serpentes has grown to the point where he can now identify nearly 4 species, and he carries anti-venom for some of them.

Although Dale’s personal relationships with other humans have occasionally suffered due to his passion, none of the worst accusations by Charlene, Darlene or Cassandra have EVER been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt in a court by a jury of his peers, and Dale has the court papers to prove it!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2023, 1:34 am

I mean I like snakes just fine, but may not be an appropriate pet to bring everywhere.....as well not everyone likes snakes, I like them but not everyone does.

Also, back then who knows what the credentials were, of if it was just a random guy showing his snakes, not sure how the schools vetted those kinds of assemblies or whatever back then. But I certainly remember a few animal showings assemblies and field trips growing up.

spasmolytic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Sep 2023, 6:50 pm

Dale sounds like the kind of person who would have been invited to my school, so I'm sad that can't recall if he ever actually did.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2023, 6:56 pm

After my time I guess.

Cant recall big snakes being brought in to school when I was in grade school, or jr. High, or HS, either.

Must be some new fangled thing that...theyre corrupting our youth with these days...by cracky!

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 1:27 pm

In my day it was always the owl lady. It was never explained how the owl lady happened to have so many owls. To this day, I have no idea how one legitimately obtains even one owl in this country.