What would you do after a bad interview like this?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

What would you do?
Yeah try it out! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Hell No 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
I don't know 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

08 Sep 2023, 11:32 am

Hey everyone! I just had the worst interview of my life so far. This organization is great overall. They strive to look at individual disabilities and place them. I was a little confused on the need originally given the state DOL office does the same thing but whatever. I wanted to help people.

I was sus at first because Interviewer couldn't get the time zones right and what seemed like could have been a 3 min call turned into 20 mins...of just figuring out how to schedule an interview.

So interview is going great and person gets a phone call. I get accidents happen but they answer it. What the heck! I dismiss it but then they get another phone call. I'd dismiss that but they then got a 3rd phone call where they muted Zoom and became very irate at whoever. Y'all this was a 10 minute phone call! Interviewer says they had an emergency. I thought to myself "I don't want to work here if they can't even have another person take over for emergency calls while the main person is interviewing."

I finished the interview for the sake of practice. I go on about how I appreciate the individual posts because I know from experience how hard references can be if you have certain disabilities or are ND.

I had 5 references and they asked for more by saying "don't you have any friends?" Ouch.

And then the phone rings a 4th dang time.

I don't want to work here. I think the red flags couldn't be any more clear. But I have a family to feed. They don't pay well and I'd have to move out of state on my own. I don't want to do it but I need to know I'm not crazy for saying not just no, but HELL no.

What do you all think?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2023, 1:17 pm

I dunno why anyone would relocate for work if it didn't pay well.

That said, is it your Only and best option? If so, I guess that's why.

Is the person that interviewed you going to be your direct report boss? That might be concerning.. but if they're just one cog in a machine and you believe the organization as a whole is a lot better, then maybe working there wouldn't be as bad as your interview experience since you wouldn't be dealing with that guy who doesn't know how to prioritize/time block/make a good impression/delegate etc.

On the working away thing: Maybe if you don't pursue this job the interview practice was good And you'll consider taking a Different out of state job that pays better than this one. If you're going to be away from your home and people, it may as well be to fill your bank account. Around here, mostly men go out of town for trades/industrial jobs in forestry, mining, pipeline welding, mill shutdowns, fishing, oil & gas etc. Possible for women to get that type of work these days, but it'd be a hard go I bet. The women I know that have gone out of town have done so to be cooks onboard ships and at fishing lodges where the pay is significantly better than working at a restaurant in town. There are also other "regular," jobs that try to get people to relocate.. even subway sandwhich shops in small towns where they have no workers. Then there are jobs in seasonal tourism, like working at a ski resort or something - pay isn't usually very high and living conditions are "you're lucky to get a roof over your head and be crammed in like sardines to sleep," But people get to live and work in beautiful surroundings while making a paycheque and figuring out some additional side hustle or service job with cash tips or online gig or cleaning Airbnb's as they turn over etc (my friend does this, she makes $40/hr and at the moment lives in her car in Whistler again but when she cleans an Airbnb that doesn't have guests arriving for a few days she swings a deal to stay there. Very resilient young woman!)

Going out of town could be great.. but if I were gonna do it, and I miiiight if the stars align, it'll be the make $$$$ not a pittance. If you're willing to travel/relocate, look into opportunities that pay better so it's way more worth while. IMO.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

08 Sep 2023, 2:41 pm

I'm from that area. Long story short, was forced out. Was in the process of filing a complaint with HUD (in law was the landlord) but he coerced my SO and took my kid. Murder is illegal so...I came along and tried to live where we do now. I hate everything from the racist comments, bad healthcare, god awful education, no jobs unless I drive an hour away through multiple tolls, etc. In laws continuing to harass my family (kiddo came home crying about not being girl enough, In law told my husband he should die, etc) and we're basically out of money. I'd prefer something mysterious happened to them and we could sell all their assets but that seems to be wishful thinking.

The reason I was going after it is so I'd have some sort of income while applying for better jobs with in state priority. Both me and my SO worked for that state and we're hoping that will help us get in. Even if I don't work in the social field, I'm a researcher and data analyst and would prefer to work with that. I would take something worthwhile in between though too. I've also been replying remote but these low payers are the only people calling me back.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2023, 1:34 pm

I'm having difficulty following your post and which state has which qualities/opportunities etc.

If you take this low paying job does it move you to a place you'd rather live? And then you apply for higher paying jobs in that state because you want to move there? If so, maybe that's your reason for taking the job.. a stepping stone to a better location, pay, and life.

If I'm not following your this state vs. that state stuff correctly, feel free to clarify. Also, if it's not in a state you WANT to be in, then if you're open to relocating for work keep applying to other jobs in other states with higher pay in a place you'd rather be vs. accept low pay in a place you don't want to be as that would sound like a lose lose situation if it isn't advancing you towards something better.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

09 Sep 2023, 3:37 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I'm having difficulty following your post and which state has which qualities/opportunities etc.

If you take this low paying job does it move you to a place you'd rather live? And then you apply for higher paying jobs in that state because you want to move there? If so, maybe that's your reason for taking the job.. a stepping stone to a better location, pay, and life.

If I'm not following your this state vs. that state stuff correctly, feel free to clarify. Also, if it's not in a state you WANT to be in, then if you're open to relocating for work keep applying to other jobs in other states with higher pay in a place you'd rather be vs. accept low pay in a place you don't want to be as that would sound like a lose lose situation if it isn't advancing you towards something better.

You are correct.
I guess my main issue is keeping my mental health intact. I know this place can be toxic already.

Edit: The post is more about accepting a job with possible signs of toxicity to get to a preferred state, not a random place I've never been. I'd absolutely say no under any other circumstances.

spasmolytic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Sep 2023, 7:44 pm

Oh man, this is a BIG hell no. Even if it will help you to skate into the general locale you desire, this level of toxicity will inevitably bleed into other areas of life and make it all seem like a giant regret. Unless you're, like, super-human at self-care and boundaries, at least, or find yourself able to find a different job fairly quickly upon landing.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

11 Sep 2023, 8:17 am

spasmolytic wrote:
Oh man, this is a BIG hell no. Even if it will help you to skate into the general locale you desire, this level of toxicity will inevitably bleed into other areas of life and make it all seem like a giant regret. Unless you're, like, super-human at self-care and boundaries, at least, or find yourself able to find a different job fairly quickly upon landing.

Tbh I think my mind was made up. I just needed to know I wasn't stupid for turning away bread.
Thanks. Can't even believe it happened.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2023, 8:28 am

GeekyFreak wrote:
spasmolytic wrote:

Tbh I think my mind was made up. I just needed to know I wasn't stupid for turning away bread.

Did you actually tell them you would not take the job if offered, or withdrew your application?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2023, 1:00 pm

What does it cost you to accept the job?

What does it cost you to quit and come back?

If it's a pretty low cost gamble, then if it doesn't work out and you quit vs. stick around while seeking a better job nearby.. then whatever - could be a gamble worth taking as a means to an end.

Depends what the costs of going there and then potentially leaving again are.

If it's going to plunge you deep into debt that you can't possibly afford if things don't work out, then maybe not worth it.. but if it's going to cost you very little money to go give it a shot and see if it's gonna fly for long enough to find something better, then whatever, you already know it isn't a career job you're going to stay in so there's no "I'm doomed to stay working here forever," kind of stress and pressure.. just daily ignoring stupidity while you make new contacts and apply for better opportunities.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

11 Sep 2023, 4:19 pm

rse92 wrote:
GeekyFreak wrote:
spasmolytic wrote:

Did you actually tell them you would not take the job if offered, or withdrew your application?

They never asked and I was sort of stuckin confusion or something. After she implied I had no life, she hung up. That was on a Thursday and I had 3 more interviews that week.

Didn't withdraw but I no longer have a number to call.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

11 Sep 2023, 4:22 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

If it's a pretty low cost gamble, then if it doesn't work out and you quit vs. stick around while seeking a better job nearby.. then whatever - could be a gamble worth taking as a means to an end.

If it's going to plunge you deep into debt that you can't possibly afford if things don't work out, then maybe not worth it.. but if it's going to cost you very little money to go give it a shot and see if it's gonna fly for long enough to find something better, then whatever, you already know it isn't a career job you're going to stay in so there's no "I'm doomed to stay working here forever," kind of stress and pressure.. just daily ignoring stupidity while you make new contacts and apply for better opportunities.

Its not enough to bring my family immediately so...a plane ticket, housing for self, housing back home, utilities for both, all for $21/hr.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 12:27 pm

GeekyFreak wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Its not enough to bring my family immediately so...a plane ticket, housing for self, housing back home, utilities for both, all for $21/hr.

What's the minimum pay you'd require not to go deeper in the hole every month? What would float those bills? $27/hr? I ask as you could always negotiate. Obviously no one else is accepting the role at $21/hr either and if you don't REALLY care if you don't get it, but would accept it if it paid just enough to skim by while you looked for a better paying job, you could respond and tell them that you're interested in the job but the pay scale offered simply isn't enough for you to accept it.. but that for $27/hr you'd join their team. Might be able to negotiate a better starting salary.. after all, they do say that this is the single best time to negotiate a raise.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

15 Sep 2023, 3:05 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
GeekyFreak wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

What's the minimum pay you'd require not to go deeper in the hole every month? What would float those bills? $27/hr? I ask as you could always negotiate. Obviously no one else is accepting the role at $21/hr either and if you don't REALLY care if you don't get it, but would accept it if it paid just enough to skim by while you looked for a better paying job, you could respond and tell them that you're interested in the job but the pay scale offered simply isn't enough for you to accept it.. but that for $27/hr you'd join their team. Might be able to negotiate a better starting salary.. after all, they do say that this is the single best time to negotiate a raise.

According to MIT I'd have to make $37/hr. I know the area well, how to file for aid, and where all the cheaper supplies are but I have to factor housing too. When I calculated it out, I'd need at least $24/hr. I was willing to make an exception given the idea of the position is nice (helping disabled and homeless people get a job) but I factored in my own mental health.

Had a job in college pay $16 (I got a dollar raise within the 6 years I worked there) and I made it work financially. Buuut also ended up in the psych ward 5 times. I take toxic work places very seriously. Can't believe I spent a chunk of my 20's doing that bs.