It takes me forever to determine whether I like someone

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

nomral
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Sep 2023, 8:53 am

Has anyone else had a similar experience? How do you determine who to date if it takes forever to develop feelings? How does one go from "yeah I'm gonna need to be friends with you for about a year first" to being in an actual relationship?

I'm definitely not demisexual--I can tell when I'm physically attracted to someone. But sex on its own isn't enough for me to want to date another person; I want some kind of emotional spark. Plus, I prefer to have a sense of someone's character before I try anything romantic with them, and that takes time. A long time.

Other people seem to move so quickly and I feel like I get left behind. At best, they assume I'm not interested and start dating someone else and then I find out years later that they had a huge crush on me back when I was still trying to learn their name.

Side note--it's been forever since I've been on here and I'm glad this site still exists! Ahh, the nostalgia. :alien: I checked my old posts and literally every single problem I was angsting about back then has been solved...so that's encouraging.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2023, 9:01 am

nomral wrote:
Has anyone else had a similar experience? How do you determine who to date if it takes forever to develop feelings? How does one go from "yeah I'm gonna need to be friends with you for about a year first" to being in an actual relationship?

I'm definitely not demisexual--I can tell when I'm physically attracted to someone. But sex on its own isn't enough for me to want to date another person; I want some kind of emotional spark. Plus, I prefer to have a sense of someone's character before I try anything romantic with them, and that takes time. A long time.

Other people seem to move so quickly and I feel like I get left behind. At best, they assume I'm not interested and start dating someone else and then I find out years later that they had a huge crush on me back when I was still trying to learn their name.

Side note--it's been forever since I've been on here and I'm glad this site still exists! Ahh, the nostalgia. :alien: I checked my old posts and literally every single problem I was angsting about back then has been solved...so that's encouraging.

It is good to hear the problems you were having back when you joined have been solved, nomral! Welcome back to the forums!

You have to do what is right for you in terms of the pace of dating, so try not to compare yourself with other people. :)