Do all men ''have'' to be and look muscular ?

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 11:03 am

nick007 wrote:
There's been lots of TV shows with an overweight husband who's wife is a normal weight.

And TV is such an accurate portrayal of real life 8O

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Dec 2023, 3:15 pm

ProfessorJohn wrote:
nick007 wrote:
There's been lots of TV shows with an overweight husband who's wife is a normal weight.

And TV is such an accurate portrayal of real life 8O
TV cares about ratings & if they thought women viewers majorly cared about sex appeal there would be a lot more muscular guys on TV.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 12:00 pm

No. Does seem to be a bigger part or young adults lives than it did in the past though.

I have always been a gym user (25+ years) and love it. Got really into weight lifting around 8 years back but an injury and covid derailed it. Just signed up for a new gym 2 weeks back and am going to try and get back into weightlifting again

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Dec 2023, 3:44 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
No. Does seem to be a bigger part or young adults lives than it did in the past though.
I would expect being & looking muscular to be less important today. Due to technology advancements fewer jobs involve physical manual labor & suciety is more friendly towards geek & nerd culture these days.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 5:19 am

nick007 wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
I would expect being & looking muscular to be less important today. Due to technology advancements fewer jobs involve physical manual labor & suciety is more friendly towards geek & nerd culture these days.

Maybe it's the smartphone/social media generation. Much more used to seeing pictures of themselves and image feels more important. Plus just lots more info put there about how its good for you.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 10:50 pm

I don't think people in general care whether or not men look muscular. There might be a few sub-cultures that think it's good, but that's about all. Personally I always thought muscular men kind of ugly, especially beyond a certain point, but I try not to let it prejudice me against them.

PassingThrough
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2024, 12:55 am

Some people prefer that lifestyle, and you'd probably have to be similarly built if you want to be in that crowd. For most other people, it doesn't matter.

I spent some time lifting weights in pursuit of that muscular look. Looking back on it, I spent too much mental energy on it. These days, my approach is to eat well, keep my cardiovascular system in good condition, and do a bodyweight workout (with a few kettlebell exercises) three times a week. Having low bodyfat, good cardiovascular fitness, and good strength are my goals. The physique I get from that is simply a byproduct.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2024, 10:18 am

A man can look however he wishes. Some men want muscles and others are happy with being small.