Do all men ''have'' to be and look muscular ?

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2023, 7:44 pm

There are a lot of Youtube icons that go to the gym and I don't think many, if any of them are gay.

When I visited the gym a couple of decades ago, there were a lot of seemingly heterosexual men & women there.

A lot of 'alpha' type dudes overcompensate with physical strength and muscles to try to make themselves extraordinary as opposed to just.. regular human beings.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2023, 7:45 pm

I'm sure there are straight guys. I don't go to the gyms to check, so I was just giving an observation. I've known at least five gay men who went regularly because they could meet other men there, and they also wanted to look buff.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2023, 7:47 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm sure there are straight guys. I don't go to the gyms to check, so I was just giving an observation. I've known at least five gay men who went regularly because they could meet other men there, and they also wanted to look buff.

I am sure there are many gay dudes & gay women, amongst the straight folk.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2023, 5:44 am

chris1989 wrote:
I seem to find myself sometimes comparing to other men because I feel like as if I haven't got as much muscle as the guy I'm looking at and yet despite it still doesn't inspire me to want to get to a gym to get muscles. It just makes me feel like I'm the only one that's not really that interested in it as though every man is into it, even though I have weights at home I use on occasions and that seeing all these other men who are my age or younger on social media and so on just fuels the negative comparison thoughts even more and makes you seem like you are the only one out of the crowd.

I have ever only known one man who was obsessed with going to the gym and he was a right weirdo. By that I mean he was obsessed with himself and how he looked. Whenever I went to visit him (this was at university), he was always half naked and wouldn't put clothes on. He had no friends and people generally avoided him. He was nice to me but I think that was for other reasons.

Most men are normal and just do a normal amount of exercise e.g. playing football or running or tennis.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Oct 2023, 1:49 am

There's been lots of TV shows with an overweight husband who's wife is a normal weight.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2023, 4:53 am

nick007 wrote:
There's been lots of TV shows with an overweight husband who's wife is a normal weight.

Yes, can you imagine it the other way round! It would not be allowed.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2023, 5:57 am

KitLily wrote:
chris1989 wrote:
I seem to find myself sometimes comparing to other men because I feel like as if I haven't got as much muscle as the guy I'm looking at and yet despite it still doesn't inspire me to want to get to a gym to get muscles. It just makes me feel like I'm the only one that's not really that interested in it as though every man is into it, even though I have weights at home I use on occasions and that seeing all these other men who are my age or younger on social media and so on just fuels the negative comparison thoughts even more and makes you seem like you are the only one out of the crowd.

I have ever only known one man who was obsessed with going to the gym and he was a right weirdo. By that I mean he was obsessed with himself and how he looked. Whenever I went to visit him (this was at university), he was always half naked and wouldn't put clothes on. He had no friends and people generally avoided him. He was nice to me but I think that was for other reasons.

Most men are normal and just do a normal amount of exercise e.g. playing football or running or tennis.

This post gave me a 'lol'. :lol:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Oct 2023, 6:32 am

I just had a thought that some fit guys might be considered attractive due to their presumed personality traits instead of being solely based on their physical appearance. Physical appearance & personality traits can sometimes get connected to each other like wearing thick coke-bottle glasses is associated with being a nerd/geek & being very muscular is associated with being mocho. Just because those things are associated does not mean it's true but people still may have those assumptions.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2023, 7:19 am

nick007 wrote:
I just had a thought that some fit guys might be considered attractive due to their presumed personality traits instead of being solely based on their physical appearance. Physical appearance & personality traits can sometimes get connected to each other like wearing thick coke-bottle glasses is associated with being a nerd/geek & being very muscular is associated with being mocho. Just because those things are associated does not mean it's true but people still may have those assumptions.

I think you are correct there. Unfortunately there is still a strong connection between physical beauty and good character traits, in people's minds. This started with the Ancient Greeks, I think, and modern advertising/marketing continued it :roll:

david_tay
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Oct 2023, 9:26 pm

I don't think so, Men should choose whatever body sizes they want. as long as they are healthy and love their self. Being less muscular won't make you less as a person.

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2023, 9:54 pm

We do not

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2023, 3:38 pm

Men don't have to be muscular, thin, fat or have any other body shape unless they want to. To be "attractive" I think the most important thing is to be yourself without making any apologies.

DH Rider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2023, 10:09 pm

I started going to the gym for physiotherapy. I absolutely hate being there, (people, noise, bright lights...), but I learned that it was the quickest, most efficient way for me to stay fit.

I can't think of any social benefits to size or muscles other than it makes bullies and crooks think twice about messing with you. If you're an autistic loner and don't like confrontation, that can help.

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Dec 2023, 6:37 pm

Not at all! I'm not muscular (I'm over 300 lbs.) and I'm 100% male. Muscles aren't everything. There's nothing wrong with a guy being skinny or fat instead of muscular. I don't care much for muscles for the most part, but I feel like lean muscles (like those that runners and swimmers have) tend to be a lot more attractive than big, bulging muscles.

Men (and women) come in all shapes and sizes.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2023, 3:42 pm

That's like asking if all women "have" to look no older than 21 and have perfect hourglass figures. The answer to both is no, but human society refuses to accept that and wants us all to look completely perfect and the same like robots or clones of each other.

chasingfitness
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Dec 2023, 5:59 pm

Intense exercise and a healthy diet have been 2 of my special interests for over 40 years. I alternate between more endurance exercises and bodybuilding. I feel like they calm me down better than anything else. The original motivation for these activities was to either get away from or defend against my persistent bullies. It worked and I never stopped.
As an adult my weird still shows but being over 6' 2" and a lean 225lbs people continue to treat me different. I don't think anybody needs to be like this to be manly as outside of the gym almost nobody is. On the negative side I lean to the demisexual side of things and being very fit looking got me some female propositions that were highly inappropriate and made me super uncomfortable.