Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2023, 6:55 am

Jakki wrote:
11 dollars a gallon...Jakki feints dead away.... :smurfin: :bigsmurf: :|

Yeah it’s 2.74 cdn/L.

Regular is cheap right now at 1.819/L it was 2.039 or 2.139 last week - been mostly above $2 since the war in Ukraine started. X3.784 approx for price in Canadian dollars per US gallon.

Just did the math it’s $10.37 cdn per us gallon for local marine gas. It’s around $6usd so just South of the border.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2023, 10:35 am

back to Grief...am thinking a little different issue , Now hubby is long past ...over ten years now ..+ .....
And the bonding , when I think of it ...And the Loss of someone whom literally got me , and had good understanding
Was an impossibility to lose . Now time has come , that I must consider Cleaning out some of his possessions.
Particularily to this situation .. a single article of clothing . He shared things with me from his time in the AirForce, from early parts of the Veit Nam War..I was "in " late in the War/ Police action.His job eventually settled on being a crew cheif on board a C-130 Aircraft.
After years of being flightline mech. for Many fighter bomber squadrons . But the details he share inspite of really serious appearing PTSD. He had no immediate contacts from his time in the AirForce.So I was obviously a safe choice. Fall of Saigon type stuff. !, Ton sen Nut, In country LZ bases .. shellings bombardments . Taking US soldiers bodies back out from these same bases .His experiences , became mine . He was quite detailed in his sharing .
He earned and was twice decorated . Which i never knew until his death,from miltary records .From flying across countries , Doing resupply from Thailand and The Phillipines , To being in country ,and having a starter motor on his C-130 quit , And repairing under constant threat of bombardment. When at that base the CO in charge of that LZ told him if no repaired by dark , must destroy his aircraft,So not to encourage further human wave assaults .
But without equipment and for some reason from being an old hotrodder, he kept spare parts for the engines unbeknownst to anyone else .And working upside down, got the engine repaired . For i do not think wanted to stay there or have to walk home ? Taking off From whatever base got destroyed by a volcanoe in the Phillipines? i think many years later . So one article of clothing was his personal flight jacket .Amongst other more personal things. His flight cap . but this flight jacket is decorsted with pins and "pin on buttons "that reflected the atitude of the common Air force soldier At that time .. It is a well wore jacket,, But everytime i think about having to let go of his things . It breaks my mind , And disables me mentally and emotionally. Inspite of having a new BF .
So maybe greif , does not go. away so easily . So many recollections and learnings all lost .Miss him dearly !

where ever you go ,there you are

Last edited by Jakki on 06 Oct 2023, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2023, 11:21 am

Oh gosh Jakki, that's a big step. Sending you love and light :heart:

Yes I think we've shown on this thread that grief doesn't go away easily. August is still a difficult month for me, 40 years on!! !

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2023, 11:42 am

Sorry kitlily 40 years is a long time 8O ..! thank you for caring :heart:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 7:02 am

Jakki wrote:
Sorry kitlily 40 years is a long time 8O ..! thank you for caring :heart:

Yes, no dad for 40 years. Oh well.

I do care about people :heart:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2023, 9:36 pm

Adults with Autism Grieve, Too

Quote:
In recent years, a lot of attention has been paid to the difficulties of children on the autism spectrum. Less thought has focused on the issues that these children may face as they enter adulthood.

Even with children with autism, there has been little emphasis on supporting these children when they experience loss. Thus, the issue of how autistic adults handle the inevitable losses they will experience is little studied or discussed.

After a death, in some cases, there might be little outward expression of sadness—which may lead others to think that the autistic individual didn’t understand the loss or is unaffected by it. Yet these external appearances do not mean that the adult with autism is not grieving.

Other autistic adults may experience regressive behaviors, such as sleep disturbances or nighttime enuresis, or engage in self-soothing behaviors such as rocking or pacing. The death may also cause profound anxiety; the autistic individual may struggle to know how they should react, feel nervous about the death rituals, or worry about how the death might change their lives.

Certainly, the individual with autism may have responses also found in neurotypical populations, such as ruminating about the death, as well as all the physical, cognitive, emotional, and spiritual manifestations typically experienced in grief. In fact, given the fact that many persons with autism find it difficult to express or describe their emotions, they may perhaps be more likely to experience physical reactions such as pain and aches, nausea, or headaches.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2023, 5:41 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Adults with Autism Grieve, Too
Quote:
In recent years, a lot of attention has been paid to the difficulties of children on the autism spectrum. Less thought has focused on the issues that these children may face as they enter adulthood.

Even with children with autism, there has been little emphasis on supporting these children when they experience loss. Thus, the issue of how autistic adults handle the inevitable losses they will experience is little studied or discussed.

After a death, in some cases, there might be little outward expression of sadness—which may lead others to think that the autistic individual didn’t understand the loss or is unaffected by it. Yet these external appearances do not mean that the adult with autism is not grieving.

Other autistic adults may experience regressive behaviors, such as sleep disturbances or nighttime enuresis, or engage in self-soothing behaviors such as rocking or pacing. The death may also cause profound anxiety; the autistic individual may struggle to know how they should react, feel nervous about the death rituals, or worry about how the death might change their lives.

Certainly, the individual with autism may have responses also found in neurotypical populations, such as ruminating about the death, as well as all the physical, cognitive, emotional, and spiritual manifestations typically experienced in grief. In fact, given the fact that many persons with autism find it difficult to express or describe their emotions, they may perhaps be more likely to experience physical reactions such as pain and aches, nausea, or headaches.
Interesting. Thanks for posting.

I do think that one thing that is missing in the article, at least based on my experience of grieving, is that NTs have the ability and tendency to re-frame events and tell themselves a story (not an untrue one, but one that makes sense of the events by putting them into a more manageable and digestible form) in order to cope with what has happened, whereas my experience is that I am hit with a ton of bricks and I just perceive what has happened as a raw reality that just hurts, and I am not able to create a narrative with which I can soothe myself.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2023, 1:36 pm

Grief becomes a very unwanted reality of Life...imho . and i had written in another thread about reframing things .. not clearly thinking ..that it was not reframing, i was doing but after many years of psyche suffering .. And even loss of hope. Had read that , if you can manage , to understand that perhaps these diabling memories had done enough of the regret thing..The formatting in the memory might benefit a person, with healing to place them in that imaginary part of the brain . That is long term storage .. Imagine a box for each problematic memory issue .
And a closet to put those boxes in . With the oldest ones being on the upoer shelf ,in the back . And when one of these old memory experiences , pop up into your mind , to try to catch it on the onset..before it gets to nest in your Frontal lobes Again . And perhaps note , that " this " individual memory has escaped out of its box, and mentally imagine putting it back in its box ,and back up on the shelf,in the back . You dont modify or change it . Just give it, its proper home . Not getting in the way of the prefrontal cortex thinking.
Just a thought for trying to deal with long term greif..Took me over a year to get this pattern down repeatedly of
getting things organized up into the closet..And still had to conciously do this mental routine. But much less now.
Not sure but hope this post helps someone ,? sometime..? 8O