Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2023, 4:48 pm

Hi! My name's Bill. I got diagnosed with ASD level 1 earlier this year at age 57. For the last 15-20 years I have had a growing suspicion that I am autistic but didn't feel any need of a formal diagnose until the last 2-3 years.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 4:58 pm

Why did you feel a need for a diagnosis in the past 2-3 years, Bill?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 8:36 pm

Welcome to WP!

You were more astute than I. Until I was 64 I was oblivious to Autism and not only did not suspect I was one, I didn't even consider it a topic of interest. I got my hint and my Adult Autism Assessment when I was 64.

I hope you were as pleased by your diagnosis as I was with mine. It explained so much!

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2023, 5:40 am

blitzkrieg wrote:

I got covid in spring 2020 and was sick for a couple of weeks. After that I was physically and mentally tired, had a brain fog and couldn't work full time for half a year. Even after I got better I have never went back to be my stronger "former self". My autistic traits started to be a problem when I didn't have the same energy. Masking and "acting normal" became tiresome. At work, to save energy I started to cut down on the small talk with my co-workers and focus on doing my job. I forgot to ask people about their weekends or give a compliment about their new haircut. Some work colleagues complained to the boss about me being rude, blunt, inflexible and not being interested in their private life. Earlier this year it got to a point where I felt I neeeded a diagnosis to show my boss if I see the situation is about to get out of hand.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2023, 9:41 am

welcome, it was a huge relief to discover my autism in my mid 60s and get diagnosis at 3 days before my 68th birthday. It answered so many painful "whys" of my past. Glad you are with us, you are definitely not alone!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2023, 11:27 am

Welcome! I'm another old geezer who recently learned I'm autistic. Hope you find good stuff here.

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

Astryd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Oct 2023, 11:43 am

Welcome! I have never been tested formally for Autism. I suspect I am on the spectrum. I was told I was too "high functioning" once to warrant the exploration of it, but I think it would have helped me understand myself better than just called it schizoaffective disease alone, like lumping all the symptoms into one category instead of exploring the individual states and symptoms that caused the different problems. Like for example yes a lot of people with schizophrenia were high functional as children, that is also similar to autism and adhd in children correct? I still can see literally flashes of places in my childhood. Another thing is I am a lot like my dad--he does a lot of things that make me think he has it and so does his brothers. His one brother was mute and then became a private defender, he's nice but socially awkward and smiles but doesn't communicate right away.

Its probably harder as an adult to have to confront this but could be a sigh of relief to be able to diagnose and address.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2023, 12:33 pm

Astryd, I hope you found these online informal tests for Autism:
Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test (AQ)
Aspie Quiz

My AQ score convinced me it wasn't my imagination that I seemed to fit under the "Autism" description.

That's when I pursued a formal Adult Autism Assessment. My diagnosis was:
ASD-1 Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild)

But, by that time, I was 64 years old and comfortably retired. The diagnosis doesn't have much practical value for me. But it was still nice to know...it explained so much.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2023, 12:52 pm

BillyTree wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

I got covid in spring 2020 and was sick for a couple of weeks. After that I was physically and mentally tired, had a brain fog and couldn't work full time for half a year. Even after I got better I have never went back to be my stronger "former self". My autistic traits started to be a problem when I didn't have the same energy. Masking and "acting normal" became tiresome. At work, to save energy I started to cut down on the small talk with my co-workers and focus on doing my job. I forgot to ask people about their weekends or give a compliment about their new haircut. Some work colleagues complained to the boss about me being rude, blunt, inflexible and not being interested in their private life. Earlier this year it got to a point where I felt I neeeded a diagnosis to show my boss if I see the situation is about to get out of hand.

Those complaints that people made against you, are typical of NT's who discriminate against autistic folk. They think it is a personal affront to them, for you to not be interested in them socially, when really you are just getting on with things in your own way.

Yes, having a diagnosis does, at least theoretically, give you a layer of protection against employment discrimination.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2023, 3:34 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2023, 9:47 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. You experienced COVID very early, in the Spring of 2020. The early versions were very deadly but not as contagious. As the years went on, the virus switched to the point where almost everyone has had this condition. Many have suffered COVID several times. But the damage it now brings to people is much less severe and most people just return to their normal lifestyle habits quickly.

Since suffering the effects of COVID has altered your normal skill set that you used to blend into society, I think you have made the correct choice in unwrapping and documenting this autistic condition. You may find it beneficial to get a little bit more sleep at night. REM and deep NREM sleep can recharge you internal batteries and help you get yourself back to near normal.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2023, 11:48 am

jimmy m wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet. You experienced COVID very early, in the Spring of 2020. The early versions were very deadly but not as contagious. As the years went on, the virus switched to the point where almost everyone has had this condition. Many have suffered COVID several times. But the damage it now brings to people is much less severe and most people just return to their normal lifestyle habits quickly.

Since suffering the effects of COVID has altered your normal skill set that you used to blend into society, I think you have made the correct choice in unwrapping and documenting this autistic condition. You may find it beneficial to get a little bit more sleep at night. REM and deep NREM sleep can recharge you internal batteries and help you get yourself back to near normal.

I try to sleep 8-9 hours a night and take a 20 minute nap at lunchtime. I think the nap recharges my batteries. The quality of my sleep at night was better before I had covid, so the 20 minute nap is important to me. Besides of that I have exercised "like crazy" for the last 3 years. Strenght training at the gym 4 times a week. A fast 1 hour walk or 30 minutes at a spinning bike 3 days a week. To regain my cognitive ability I try to read from a book at least 30 minutes each night before bedtime.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2023, 9:18 am

BillyTree it sounds like you are doing a massive effort in getting back to near normal. Exercise and sleep are really important in recovery and you are utilizing these tools well.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2023, 10:50 am

jimmy m wrote:
BillyTree it sounds like you are doing a massive effort in getting back to near normal. Exercise and sleep are really important in recovery and you are utilizing these tools well.

Thank you! Yes. For the last 3 years I have put a lot of effort into trying to rehabilitate myself after my bout with covid by working from as many angles as possible. The downside to that is that it now makes it harder to find ways to "do better". I think my grit is thanks to my autism. On the other hand my autistic weakness here is my inability to communicate the impact of my post-covid problems to people around me - like my healthproviders which leaves me pretty much on my own here. My doctor is pretty much: "I hear you say you have a lot of problems but to me you seem pretty ok. For your autism I could refer you to a psychiatrist."

softlyspeaks41
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2023, 9:37 pm

Welcome and pleased to meet you Bill

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2023, 1:32 pm

Thank you to everyone in the thread for welcoming me!