does anyone else get overwhelmed by the amount of media?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2023, 10:17 pm

recently i've gone through a bit of a burnout when it comes to entertainment, tv shows are the biggest culprit

all these streaming services coming out with must watch tv shows, reboots and live action adoptions of x, shows based on popular movie franchises (looking at you, the continental)

it seems that for every series i get through, several more make it onto my must watch list. and it's not like i can skim off the lower quality shows and stick to the high quality stuff, most of the aforementioned tv series have big budgets, high quality casts and stories to match.

it sometimes gets overwhelming for me

have you experienced this in your life?

how do you cope?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2023, 10:18 pm

I have largely given up on media-based entertainment.

Board games and TTRPGs are my thing.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2023, 1:48 am

Fnord wrote:
I have largely given up on media-based entertainment.

Board games and TTRPGs are my thing.

That's cool.
There's something to be said about the benefits of interactive activities vs sedimentary ones
I could see board games and tt rpgs having a greater emotional benefit, maybe this is something worth trying.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 6:02 am

When I am confronted with a lot of things I want to consume in terms of entertainment, whatever medium that may be - books, video games or movies or television programmes, I simply think of them as being in a queue until I get through what I want to get through.

That helps me cope with too many things.

WilliamK1997
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Oct 2023, 6:07 am

I get overstimulated and awkward with some entertainment so I can turn volume down and put on subs and ocd with entertainment and I’m always checking if I’m emotionally connecting with the characters and engaging with the story otherwise there’s no point, entertainment feels more and more like an ever waning compensation for my weaknesses/s**t character.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 8:18 pm

Yes.
I'm always trying to maintain some balance. Too much to watch, read, listen, and play, and that's just on my bookshelves. Add streaming services and "AH!" Then there is so much. Lately, I'm placing what is on my shelves has having a greater priority. That's different from over the summer.

When it comes to actually doing things, I keep thinking I'll likely break things down into block of time. Time measured by months. Several months writing and editing stories. Chunks of time painting and putting together my monster models. If I never get back to oil painting before I die, that would be a disappointment, briefly before I die. Although on the other hand, will I really be that disappointed? I don't let it bother me, and hopefully I won't let it bother me. Those things won't affect no one else. No one will see my models, stories, or paintings. No one will say "how disappointing he didn't finish that..."

I added the things I do because with the exception of reading and foreign films, I generally watch/listen while I "do things."

I do get overwhelmed by the news, politics, and world events. Throw in a dash of climate change and I get quite depressed.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 8:25 pm

I haven't owned a TV or subscribed to any of the many streaming sources for many years. Any media a do watch is by choice. I usually buy things I do want to watch on disc, even those are starting to contain advertising, so I have returned those for a refund. I refuse to pay to watch ads on principle.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 8:31 pm

DanielW wrote:
I haven't owned a TV or subscribed to any of the many streaming sources for many years. Any media a do watch is by choice. I usually buy things I do want to watch on disc, even those are starting to contain advertising, so I have returned those for a refund. I refuse to pay to watch ads on principle.

If you don't have a television, I'm guessing you use your discs in an optical drive via a PC?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2023, 6:25 pm

yes, usually blu-rays on a large(ish) monitor. I've also use VLC for regions 2-4 as well.

DirkGently69
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2023, 6:46 pm

I’m a person who watches A LOT of movies and series, but I am also experiencing media burnout. I’ve just cut my streaming services to just one, and even then I think I spend more time deciding what to watch than I do actually watching anything.

Also Jamie, you used the word sedimentary, but I think you meant to say sedentary.