Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

dino jr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Oct 2023, 4:23 pm

Hi, names Dino Jr and I have all of the symptoms in the following paragraph:

Autism is typically diagnosed based on the presence of certain behavioral characteristics and symptoms. These may include challenges in social interactions, difficulties in communication (both verbal and non-verbal), repetitive behaviors or restricted interests, sensory sensitivities, and other associated features. The severity and combination of these symptoms can vary widely among individuals with autism.

I'm seeing a new therapist and want to discuss autism with her as a possibility. I'm 57 and I honestly think I am not just shy or introverted. I have had problems with socializing since as far back as I can remember?

How do I get tested or diagnosed?

Thanks.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 5:01 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope we can help you get some useful information.

When I first wondered if I might be Autistic my bride and I started reading about it on the Internet...and we both concluded it sounded like me. But, we were amateurs so I was unsure how much credence to attach to our opinions.

Then I discovered informal tests on the Internet:
Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test (AQ)
Aspie Quiz
It was my score on AQ that convinced me I really might be Autistic.

If you get that far then what you do next depends upon what country you live in.

I live in the U.S. so a diagnosis for me should come from a licensed psychologist who works with Autism. (Not all psychologists work with Autism.) They can do some standard testing to check whether or not you are Autism. (The tests were kind of fun and I think it is best to not try to learn about them yourself...you don't want to bias the test results with your second-guessing.)

You can find psychologists in your area using this link: https://www.findapsychologist.org/. It can tell you which psychologists work with Autism and take patients your age.

But beyond that you will probably have to call their practice to see if they do Adult Autism Assessments. I think there is limited call for that so they don't waste space on their web page mentioning it. After I found a nearby practice that took patients my age and worked with Autism I called them, and the person who answered the phone did not know if they could do an Adult Autism Assessment, they had to check.

You should probably check with your health insurance before you go too far. If you follow their process and use a practitioner they approve of then they might cover some or all of the cost of the assessment.

Good Luck!

P.S. I should probably note that most of the characteristics associated with Autism could alternatively be caused by something other than Autism. It takes a competent test to find out.

dino jr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Oct 2023, 10:42 pm

Thank you for replying, very informative.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2023, 5:50 am

I was formally diagnosed earlier this year. During the last 2-3 years I did several online tests, included the ones Double Retired provides links to in his post. None of them showed me to be autistic. On some of them I was not even close. I wouldn't write off being autistic from a "neurotypical" resultat on such tests. Thew outcome depends heavy on how you interpret the questions. I live in a EU country. The process to get an assessment was rather fast and not expensive. I booked a meeting with a licensed psychologist and explained my problems and that I thoght I might be autistic. She made me do a couple of tests for preliminary screening. She wrote an assessment that she thought I was a candidate for an assesement and send it to a private health provider. After 3 weeks they contacted me for my first meeting. In march I decided to go through with an assessement. This first meeting was in april. I got my diagnosis in june. I had to pay 100 Euros. The rest was covered by the public health system.

Lucyinthesky
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Oct 2023, 5:57 am

I live in the united states. The way your country has streamlined the process is really awesome. It's much different here. How do you feel now that you've been diagnosed?

dino jr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Oct 2023, 7:52 am

BillyTree wrote:
I was formally diagnosed earlier this year. During the last 2-3 years I did several online tests, included the ones Double Retired provides links to in his post. None of them showed me to be autistic. On some of them I was not even close. I wouldn't write off being autistic from a "neurotypical" resultat on such tests. Thew outcome depends heavy on how you interpret the questions. I live in a EU country. The process to get an assessment was rather fast and not expensive. I booked a meeting with a licensed psychologist and explained my problems and that I thoght I might be autistic. She made me do a couple of tests for preliminary screening. She wrote an assessment that she thought I was a candidate for an assesement and send it to a private health provider. After 3 weeks they contacted me for my first meeting. In march I decided to go through with an assessement. This first meeting was in april. I got my diagnosis in june. I had to pay 100 Euros. The rest was covered by the public health system.

Thank you for the info.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2023, 12:37 pm

Lucyinthesky wrote:
I live in the united states. The way your country has streamlined the process is really awesome. It's much different here. How do you feel now that you've been diagnosed?

I have mixed feelings and do a lot of re-evaluating of my former life. Who I am etc. I struggle a bit with actually identify as being autistic. I haven't told my employer, co-workers, my parents or siblings yet. But I have told my children. I'm on the fence about how to move forward.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2023, 1:16 pm

BillyTree, did that private health provider specialize in Autism?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2023, 11:36 am

Welcome to the site. As Double Retired wrote, there are on line tests that you can use to provide an assessment. Check them out and see how you score.

dino jr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Oct 2023, 3:33 pm

Thanks for the welcome jimmy m. I took the aspie quiz and I will talk about it with my therapist. I scored high enough that it is worth discussing.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2023, 6:29 am

Double Retired wrote:

They specialize in doing neuropsychiatric evaluations/assesements.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2023, 1:00 pm

BillyTree wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

They specialize in doing neuropsychiatric evaluations/assesements.

I hope their specialization in neuropsychiatric evaluations/assessments was solid on Autism assessments. It seems odd to me that you had so many indications of "not Autistic" but got the diagnosis "Autistic".

But, hey, what do I know? I studied computers.

There are others on WP that are better qualified to have opinions on this than I am.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 4:50 pm

welcome Billy, take your time and go through it bit by bit, you'll soon know in your heart ... mean time be kind to yourself, ask members here lots of questions. There are so many combined years of life experience with autism and other related neurological "things" lots of good insights, advice and info. Glad you are with us

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson