Fed Up with Jobs Search. I Want to make My Own Job

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 3:03 pm

Hi!

I don't know about you, but with inflation being so high and paying the same, I have decided to look for a new jobs. I did get call backs from places outside where I live. But then after I got turned down for a few jobs, the number of jobs in my industry in that jobs dropped sharply in a month (by 25%), and it is one of the secondary cities for my industry and the main city is just wayy too expensive.

Because of this struggle, I decided to quit looking and work on a side business. I know it will probably not show fruit, if it ever does, but I am hoping with some luck it does, otherwise I do have plan Bs and Cs if this does not work. How many are you to the point of starting your own business because it is so hard to find a job?

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 4:01 pm

Absolutely. It's a nightmare! On the plus side, you're in a city. I'm in the middle of nowhere out in the countryside. Personally my main issue is location. I meant to sort out getting a new driving instructor but I kept forgetting about it.

I don't know whether to focus on lessons and try to get a car, or if I should just move to somewhere that's less rural and rely on public transport. Do I rent out a small shed / studio or do I stay with my parents and learn to drive with the hopes that one day I'll have enough to buy a car?

My friend is considering moving and I'm this close to asking if he wants a roommate.

It's difficult to know what to do. I've freelanced before on a couple of projects and I have an online store, but it's not enough to get by on and I don't know if I could ever get to the point where it's sustainable.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 8:14 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
Absolutely. It's a nightmare! On the plus side, you're in a city. I'm in the middle of nowhere out in the countryside. Personally my main issue is location. I meant to sort out getting a new driving instructor but I kept forgetting about it.

I don't know whether to focus on lessons and try to get a car, or if I should just move to somewhere that's less rural and rely on public transport. Do I rent out a small shed / studio or do I stay with my parents and learn to drive with the hopes that one day I'll have enough to buy a car?

My friend is considering moving and I'm this close to asking if he wants a roommate.

It's difficult to know what to do. I've freelanced before on a couple of projects and I have an online store, but it's not enough to get by on and I don't know if I could ever get to the point where it's sustainable.

I hear ya. I am trying to rank something that I ranked for 10 years ago, but with how Google is I worry it might not be enough. Congrats on the store!

Where I moved to (larger city), it has decent transport and was able to get a place before things went nuclear. I would say go where others are not going, but everyone seems to have the same idea these days and places that don't pay well are the only places left. It took me about 5 years to find a good place to move and moved someplace for 2 months. The only problem with the current city is prices went up, but wages did not and I felt like I outgrew it.

I know the UK can be tough as things have been sky high for years so I wish you best of luck. I took on a second job to pay down bills, but either I find something better paying or save capital and work on some other bigger projects that pay.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 9:34 pm

Autistic people who can, often do. But, starting a business is rather involved if you want to be successful. It's a large part of why I'm getting an accounting certificate.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2023, 1:34 am

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
Autistic people who can, often do. But, starting a business is rather involved if you want to be successful. It's a large part of why I'm getting an accounting certificate.

Good call on accounting. I would get my apprenticeship, but I doubt most firms would allow part time work with my job. Good on you and keep up the good work.

I am working on passion projects and hoping they turn out, but I am a little bit meh about them, but keeping the hope.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2023, 9:25 am

I think I could work as a gardener for rich people. They have estates and would like people to take care of pretty flowers. Landscapers typically don't have a clue as to how to properly care for plants or even know what plants they should buy! Most likely I'd get to work all alone when the guys who cut the grass aren't around. I have friends who do that who live on Cape Cod! A very nice resort town with pretty good weather all year. It gets cold but not that cold. Of course traffic is a mess during tourist season but I think I could adapt. I could start work before sunrise while the tourists are still fast asleep. Instead of using noisy power tools I could do my pruning with quiet hand tools. My customers would appreciate that!

Focus on customer happiness. Look neat and clean. Makes a good impression on the customer.

I tend to work too hard and get everything just right. Clean up after yourself. Customers like that.
Find customers willing to pay more for a good job.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2023, 2:02 pm

BTDT wrote:
I think I could work as a gardener for rich people. They have estates and would like people to take care of pretty flowers. Landscapers typically don't have a clue as to how to properly care for plants or even know what plants they should buy! Most likely I'd get to work all alone when the guys who cut the grass aren't around. I have friends who do that who live on Cape Cod! A very nice resort town with pretty good weather all year. It gets cold but not that cold. Of course traffic is a mess during tourist season but I think I could adapt. I could start work before sunrise while the tourists are still fast asleep. Instead of using noisy power tools I could do my pruning with quiet hand tools. My customers would appreciate that!

Focus on customer happiness. Look neat and clean. Makes a good impression on the customer.

I tend to work too hard and get everything just right. Clean up after yourself. Customers like that.
Find customers willing to pay more for a good job.

Doing people's lawns and windows and such seems like a good idea. Longer term once I get my debt load down I have been looking into a business idea in the town I grew up in, but just need to buy the land and speak it over with a friend about details. In the mean time I will be working on my stock portfolio and website portfolio. Good business idea. If I did not have two jobs already I might take a dive in.

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2023, 5:52 pm

Go for it! I've always done random side jobs (mainly for other people) and eventually threw myself into building up my own company 'properly'. I love it and wish I'd done this sooner. I still do random side jobs as well, as I need the variation. I still need to get better at sales though, as it's totally unnatural for me to act like that. I have so many products that I could make money from, but just don't know (or can't stand) the process of actually selling them online or elsewhere. It's my least favourite aspect of business, but obviously an important one!

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2023, 4:32 pm

ive also given up on jobsearching at least until interest rates die down and companies are willing to take on more workers. cos right now its more of a business is trying to cut down on staff making competition that much more fierce.
instead of going the self-employment route which i've no idea where to even begin let alone have a business idea, lack own transport, couch surfing, will just live on savings til i have nothing left