Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TikvaBall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Nov 2023, 11:36 pm

Hi, everyone. I was on here years ago, but I have no idea what my password was back then and I lost my old email address because some human turd stole my phone and changed my password. I hope it's okay that I created this account, and if not, do you have any suggestions?

I have suspected, and pretty much anyone who knows me and actually knows what autism looks like suspects I'm on the spectrum. I mean heck, if you look up autism traits in females, they just literally start describing me. I've been trying to get the diagnosis since like 2012, but I have always lived in small towns with no resources, and the doctors in the big city only see kids and don't even work with adults. The doctor I did get to see didn't even do the assessment, but he just popped off with the stupid comment, "Do you want to be labeled autistic?" Well, genius, I'm not looking for a label, but the labels I've been giving myself were things like dumb and stupid and worthless because I can't figure out how to be what they want me to be, so heck yeah I'd rather "be labeled autistic" if that is in fact what I am. If it's not that, I'm pretty sure I'm very neurodiverse, so that's the term I use now so I don't have to deal with people telling me I'm self-diagnosing.

As far as other diagnoses that I do have, I'm blind and I have Tourette's really bad with very loud coprolalia. The Tourette's wasn't diagnosed either until literally 2021 because they saw all the strange stuff I was doing and just thought it was part of being blind. I have a video about that if you want to see it.

Regarding happy stuff, I'm going to college majoring in social work, and I want to be a therapist specializing in trauma. My main special interests are music and teddy bears, but I have a lot of things I've been obsessed with over the years that I come back to periodically. I'm not sure if it's okay to do this, but I'm The Ticked Off Piano Player on YTube, just in case you would like to see what I look like. Also, sorry if you see any typos. I use a braille display to type, and the phone is having some funky braille translation issues today.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 11:52 pm

Welcome back.

What sort of music do you like?

Plushies are great.

TikvaBall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2023, 12:02 am

Thanks. I tend to go for music that has a pretty melody. I play a lot of country and gospel (please don't judge. I'm not one of the toxic people). I'm also big into Irish music, 50s and 60s, all the way up to the 90s. I have a hard time with most of the music that has come out since the 2000s because I can hear the AutoTune even when you're not supposed to, and it's sensory overload. As long as it doesn't have that crap in it I'll probably dig it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 12:05 am

what do you think of music performed on a wurlitzer theatrical organ?

TikvaBall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2023, 12:10 am

I'm not sure if I've heard one of those before. Well, I'm sure I have, but I didn't know what it was called.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 12:31 am

TikvaBall wrote:
Thanks. I tend to go for music that has a pretty melody. I play a lot of country and gospel (please don't judge. I'm not one of the toxic people). I'm also big into Irish music, 50s and 60s, all the way up to the 90s. I have a hard time with most of the music that has come out since the 2000s because I can hear the AutoTune even when you're not supposed to, and it's sensory overload. As long as it doesn't have that crap in it I'll probably dig it.

Not really genres I follow, but I don't judge (among things, I realize I've been exposed to very little of either style so whatever preconceptions I have are probably inaccurate).

I'm with you when it comes to disliking pitch correction. Thankfully it hasn't become a thing in grindcore and adjacent genres. Unfortunately it seems to be used more in metal these days, which means there's a lot less current metal I can even tolerate listening to.

Most recordings these days (regardless of genre) are really tight to the grid and autotuned, which kinda leaves them sounding more like midi files and less like real music. Thankfully grind/mince/powerviolence/etc tends to reject modern production in favour of much rougher, lofi production.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 12:47 am

TikvaBall wrote:
I'm not sure if I've heard one of those before. Well, I'm sure I have, but I didn't know what it was called.

if you've visited a pizza & pipes or an old movie theatre showing a revival silent movie, you've heard them, they are a big old pipe organ with sound effects and "one man band" percussion instruments [including drum set] attached so it gains the sound of a full band plus organ.

TikvaBall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2023, 1:26 am

Unfortunately I've never been to either of those. I'm totally blind so I would get nothing out of a silent movie except the music. I've seen one silent movie when I was a kid, and I was bored almost to tears. Not sure why they even made me watch it. It was literally pointless.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 1:44 am

i hope you don't mind this question, but since you said you are blind, do you think that gives you better hearing for music, like you're able to more easily hear musical or sonic details that most other people miss?

TikvaBall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2023, 1:58 am

Well I don't know about better hearing for music. It's not really that my other senses are better, it's just that I use them more. I know I was hard core obsessed with music as a little bitty kid, and I'd get absorbed in my whole body by it. A lot of blind people love music, but NT's don't get excited like I do. When I was first learning to play and how to hear chord progressions and all that good stuff, I had a bad habit of trying to describe to non-musical NTs what they were doing in the song. I would either get told to shut the ― up, or the members of my family who weren't toxic would just look at me like I was speaking Klingon. Yipes, I was super cringey.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 2:16 am

TikvaBall wrote:
Well I don't know about better hearing for music. It's not really that my other senses are better, it's just that I use them more. I know I was hard core obsessed with music as a little bitty kid, and I'd get absorbed in my whole body by it. A lot of blind people love music, but NT's don't get excited like I do. When I was first learning to play and how to hear chord progressions and all that good stuff, I had a bad habit of trying to describe to non-musical NTs what they were doing in the song. I would either get told to shut the ― up, or the members of my family who weren't toxic would just look at me like I was speaking Klingon. Yipes, I was super cringey.

those folks just didn't get you and didn't understand that you were being constructive.

TikvaBall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2023, 3:03 am

Yeah, I was just trying to show them the beauty I was hearing. Also I'd get really excited when I would hear a certain musical lick, a tetrachord for the musicians here who would get that. I mean I would get so happy when I would hear that, but that's not normal, so they make fun of you for that. They do love when I play, though, they just don't want the music theory lesson.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 8:34 am

Welcome again to Wrong Planet. This sounds like you are one of us. Blind. Well I am almost blind. I wear glasses because I am almost blind. They are very thick glasses. Without them I would be blind.

I am an Aspie. This is short for Asperger's Syndrome.

About two and a half years ago, I suffered a massive stroke. I lost part of my vision. I am completely blind on the right side of each eye. The area of damage is located on the back of my skull. My eyes see but the information is not making it through to my brain. It is halted as it travels to my brain.

Were you always blind, blind from birth. Or did this blindness begin later? You have a good usage of language.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 11:12 am

TikvaBall wrote:
Yeah, I was just trying to show them the beauty I was hearing. Also I'd get really excited when I would hear a certain musical lick, a tetrachord for the musicians here who would get that. I mean I would get so happy when I would hear that, but that's not normal, so they make fun of you for that. They do love when I play, though, they just don't want the music theory lesson.

I am old. I am 75. When I was young music was available on records. They produced a special type of record, called direct to disk recording. According to the internet.

Most sound recordings for records before the 1950s were made by cutting directly to a master disc. To make a direct-to-disc recording, musicians would typically play one 15-minute "live" set in a recording studio per LP side using professional audio equipment. The recording was made without multitrack recording and without overdubs. The performance was carefully engineered and mixed live in stereophonic sound. During the performance, the analog disc cutting head engages the master lacquer from which sides of an LP record are ultimately derived and is not stopped until the entire side is complete.

These types of records are very rare now. But they provide perfect music. When you listen to one of these recordings, you can close your eyes and you are in a room of musicians creating a beautiful song. You can hear them all around you from all angles. It is so beautiful.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 12:07 pm

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 12:32 pm

Or this?

https://youtu.be/04lTKKsFknU?feature=shared

What were we talking about? Can't remember!