Do you tell white lies about your life?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BugsBunnyFan
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2023, 7:49 pm

I *hate* being asked about my life. So now I just tell scripted white lies. I try to be honest when I can, but I still give people scripted answers. One big example is work. I’m not working at the moment. So I just tell people I have this lame data entry job. Hopefully they’ll get bored and move onto something more interesting. It’s no one’s business that I’m not working, so I don’t feel bad about telling a little white lie.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2023, 7:53 pm

Not that I can think of. I tend to be an open book and give too much detail. I worry about infodumping and I need to respect the privacy of my kids and my partner, so there's lots of stuff I leave out. What I say is true, but there are lots of pieces missing from my puzzle. That's intentional.

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Nov 2023, 9:16 pm

Same here. I don't volunteer some things that aren't necessary for the person to know. But what I do say is almost always true (I'm not perfect). I have told several people over the years that I would make a lousy liar, because I don't remember who I have told something before. Having to keep track of which lie goes where would be too much for me. I find the truth much simpler. And yes, I have gotten into hot water over the truth, but I still think that was better than being found out in a lie later on.

I still tend to err on the side of giving too much information, but I try to keep most of my life on a "need to know basis" for most people.

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

BugsBunnyFan
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2023, 9:19 pm

Campingbare wrote:
Same here. I don't volunteer some things that aren't necessary for the person to know. But what I do say is almost always true (I'm not perfect). I have told several people over the years that I would make a lousy liar, because I don't remember who I have told something before. Having to keep track of which lie goes where would be too much for me. I find the truth much simpler. And yes, I have gotten into hot water over the truth, but I still think that was better than being found out in a lie later on.

I still tend to err on the side of giving too much information, but I try to keep most of my life on a "need to know basis" for most people.

I guess for me making up a fake job is easy because I just stick to the same fake job all the time. If people find out I’m lying, I’ll just question why they feel the need to be so nosy. Easy. But no one has accused me of lying so far. I think that can be true for all my white lies. I usually only lie if I get asked a nosy question.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2023, 9:33 pm

I don't.

But people around me assumed that I'm more than whatever I'm saying.
And I even deny those perceived status, it somehow persists.

They thought I have colleagues, all I have equal with.
I only have co-workers. And I feel more like a pet to tolerate than an equal. My job is more like playing catch up to a language that I likely will never master.
A role that I can work around with -- not necessarily a role that I want.

I'm just an assistant. Not a good one. Secretary is a sub job that I don't want to regularly play because it's just not compatible with what I could and would do.

Everyone thought my job is the same as my both or either of my bosses'.
They're professionals and masters of their respective job related to educations and medical fields -- absolutely not what I do, definitely not even what I 'have'.

I'm an OK arts and crafts person.
But not to a degree that I can make a job out of it. Not yet. At best, it's a former interests that I still try to hold so dearly... Now I couldn't because of my job and coping with that.

I'm at best a mediocre computer go-to person.
Not a full blown one that can do much more than basic troubleshooting, let alone something else entirely...
Not yet, as much as I wish I am, I've even yet to learn how even be comfortable with windows 11 and I hadn't had a PC or laptop, out of practice for over 7+ years.

I work for 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week.
This is not a exaggeration.

But not the way they will assume -- they all assume that I'm diligent and enjoyed my job, I have some responsibilities that it hinges on me.
No, no... It's because suck and the long hours is purely because of executive dysfunction and because I don't have any other responsibilities that could take those time away.

Also I am not paid by the hour. Some assumed the hours must be worth it.
Nope. Money is never my incentive -- my pay is basically half the average monthly salary. And my motivation for work is entirely something else; I'm looking for something.

And I'm leaving the job by the end of the year. I don't think I'll find what I'm looking for from where I'm now. I could no longer see that I will find let alone get what I wanted if I stay.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 12:47 am

I tell white lies to my mum all the time.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 4:45 am

My life is great, nothing wrong at all

...that is a pretty good white lie. lol.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 4:45 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I tell white lies to my mum all the time.

same here, but now a lot of stuff isn't a secret...ha ha I am sure my dad has spilled the beans that I have eaten magic mushrooms and acid before to my mom. But she has not asked about it yet.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 8:22 am

... I just don't tell white lies.
And I'm not easily impressed.

Heck, I even hide or deny if I like something.
Compliments? They're very, very rare coming from me and it really had to mean something to me...

Eh.
I get away with calling my own parents, uncles and aunts old. Or never do those ritualistic flattering.
So something from me is considered 'a treat'. :twisted:

Calling strangers weird, or flat out say "your X *insert something on someone's face* is huge, how did you get it?"

The closest I got?
Was obscuring the fact that I stopped going to school for over a year worth from few of my online friends.
I pretended that I am still going to school, that I'm on the same year as my batch mates. That wasn't a secret in real life.

And those were during my worst years -- dealing with puberty, burnout and whatever mental health issue that I overcame over a decade ago.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 9:03 am

No.

When I am unemployed I tell people that I am unemployed.

I am often too open and give too much info'. I try to not be too trusting nowadays.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 9:23 am

When I was in my 20s I would be tempted to ...to fit in.

In recent years its more the opposite...I tell the truth and folks think that I am lying.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 5:36 am

Yes bc it is absolutely necessary in order to not get used and abused or hated by people.
Esp. İf you are a naive person who can't understand social cues and red flags.

I esp. Lie at my job/workplace when ppl ask personal questions. Bc you never know what info they may use against you

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 7:46 am

Do you still wear the helmet

No

Have you been drinking coffee

No

The only person I lie to is my mum. I do it to save my ass.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 8:57 am

Occasionally, though never in any official situations, like to doctors or other officials. I mostly lie to my mom... "no, I didn't go to the beach alone, had a friend along" "Yes, I have eaten" "Yes, I stayed with my sister during the trip and didn't go off on my own" etc. Easier than listening to the nagging.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2024, 2:36 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Do you still wear the helmet

No

Have you been drinking coffee

No

The only person I lie to is my mum. I do it to save my ass.

I mostly lie to my sister when I’m very upset at her.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2024, 2:42 am

During the New Year reunion, my relatives would express their concern by asking me how I was doing, but they didn't care. So I just vaguely said that I was in school, had good grades, etc. If I worked, I would probably say that I have a job and the income is barely enough to live on.

Telling the truth to someone who can't help can make them embarrassed or jealous