Am I not supposed to explain everything I reference?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Suicidal_Vampire
Raven
Raven

17 Nov 2023, 11:59 am

My special interest is film and tv, so I reference and view things through a television lens to help understand everyday interactions and stand uncomfortable situations.
Anyway, when I quote things that are funny, I feel guilty because I'm essentially stealing their material and always make sure people know I didn't come up with it.
Idk, because a lot of the things I say seem like nonsense unless it's a quote but nobody else seems to do this.
I come off awkward and weird enough, so I guess what I'm asking is, is this normal and should I stop?

"Really? I'd like to meet him."

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Nov 2023, 12:35 pm

I don't think you need to stop. Folk do it all the time but one is better off if the other person knows the quote /reference and where it's from. My bf and I sometimes make references from favourite movies or shows. If its an obscure reference from a not very sell known source it might fall flat.

For instance most geek types will be pretty familiar with Star Wars or Lord of the Rings references, or from popular comedies.

It's not usually necessary to explain the reference. Most reasonably smart folk will just laugh if they find it funny and will pretend to know where it came from so as not to lose face. Explanations can get unwieldy!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Suicidal_Vampire
Raven
Raven

17 Nov 2023, 12:38 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
I don't think you need to stop. Folk do it all the time but one is better off if the other person knows the quote /reference and where it's from. My bf and I sometimes make references from favourite movies or shows. If its an obscure reference from a not very sell known source it might fall flat.

For instance most geek types will be pretty familiar with Star Wars or Lord of the Rings references, or from popular comedies.

It's not usually necessary to explain the reference. Most reasonably smart folk will just laugh if they find it funny and will pretend to know where it came from so as not to lose face. Explanations can get unwieldy!

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Nov 2023, 1:03 pm

A bit off topic but if you like dystopian movies you might be familiar with the Maze Runner movie trilogy. I also enjoyed Alita: Battle Angel especially the brief Dogmaster scene!

my blog:

Suicidal_Vampire
Raven
Raven

17 Nov 2023, 1:23 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
A bit off topic but if you like dystopian movies you might be familiar with the Maze Runner movie trilogy. I also enjoyed Alita: Battle Angel especially the brief Dogmaster scene!

I've heard of Maze Runner but never seen. I watched Alita: Battle Angel though, such an underrated movie!

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Nov 2023, 1:58 pm

Yes you're right about Alita.

I am certain you'd enjoy Maze Runner: I managed to find 2 of the 3 on YouTube which is rare for comparatively new movies.

my blog:

Suicidal_Vampire
Raven
Raven

17 Nov 2023, 2:02 pm

That's cool, I'll check them out. I suggest Red Dwarf if you like zany science fiction. Do you recommend any other sci-fi/dystopias?

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2023, 8:54 pm

I am always quoting obscure funny stuff. I only explain the source if someone remarks what a vivid/original/quirky imagination I have to come up with it.

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Nov 2023, 1:32 am

Suicidal_Vampire wrote:
That's cool, I'll check them out. I suggest Red Dwarf if you like zany science fiction. Do you recommend any other sci-fi/dystopias?

Can't think of more at the moment. On a lighter note I think you'd like Prince Valerian and the City of 1000 Planets

my blog:

Suicidal_Vampire
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2023, 11:17 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Suicidal_Vampire wrote:

Can't think of more at the moment. On a lighter note I think you'd like Prince Valerian and the City of 1000 Planets

Yeah, sounds cool.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2023, 11:45 pm

I make a lot of references to Kinks songs, but I don't explain anything to anyone. It's just me being myself.