Does the average person need a PC?
Yes 69%  69%  [ 18 ]
No 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 26

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 11:13 pm

I had a conversation at work. We were talking about Mac vs PC and someone mentioned that most of Apple's user base is on iOS and not MacOS.

I commented that Tim Cook had said the average person does not need a laptop, just an iPad. I also suggested that Tim Cook might be sabotaging the Mac in favour of the iPad.

Someone else said that, while this may not hold true for us, given that we all work in IT, for the average person an iPad is all that they need. Not a laptop or a desktop.

Do you think that this is true? Who is the average person and what do they use their devices for?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 11:18 pm

I hate anything with a touch screen and I require a mouse & keyboard to not want to be frustrated.

I also play video games which run best on Windows, as do millions of other people. It wouldn't be comparable to play on something portable for me. And would present issues with games that are heavy on mouse or mouse/keyboard.

Also, a bunch of programs run best on Windows and some have poor compatibility with other OS's, so I'd rather keep them and stay away from iPad.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2023, 4:08 am

The Ipad does not support Adobe bookmarks, while the Android does.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2023, 7:37 pm

The iPad doesn't let you add srt files onto an existing video while the PC does.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Nov 2023, 3:32 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
I hate anything with a touch screen and I require a mouse & keyboard to not want to be frustrated.
Same here. I have bad fine motor-skills & bad vision. I also dislike android & apple OS partly cuz of all the spy & bloatware I cant get rid of. I have lots more control over Windows than I'm allowed with either mobile OS. A mobile OS would need to be rooted & some devices (like my current phone LG V40) can be difficult to root for lots of people who work in IT so it's impossible for a layman like me (thou I tried researching a bit & tried various approaches). I also do lots of file-sharing which would be problematic on mobile devices. However I do use my phonie a lot for basic net things because It's more convenient since I can use it anywhere instead of needing to be in my bedroom. I'm typing this reply on it right now sitting in the living-room watching Adult Swim :mrgreen: I do really wish I could get a big cellphone that had a physical keypad & a Windows OS instead of being forced to decide between Apple OS with no keypad & the antiApple that became so anti it completely sold out by becoming extremely similar to Apple :x

Talking about the average user needs, my girlfriend & her family use their phones for almost all net things except for playing Xbox & Playstation games.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2023, 2:17 pm

To answer the question - I need a PC. It's almost my only means of contact with the outside world these days. Then again, I'm definitely not 'The Average Person'.

:|

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2023, 6:39 pm

I guess it doesn't. But you should ask the average person. Personally I need a PC.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2023, 6:42 pm

I haven't used a PC for about 20 years. Even then it was only at work.

I use a Macbook. I've never used a tablet or iPad and wouldn't even know how. I don't know how people type on them at the right angle? I use my Macbook when lying on my back with it resting on my belly. I don't use chairs and desks.

I have an iPhone but don't know how to use it for anything but basics. I just realised I've had it for a year and hadn't noticed the ringer was shut off. No wonder I kept missing calls.

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Dec 2023, 8:52 pm

I couldn't live without computers. I remember whenever my parents took away computer as punishment, I felt like a drug addict on withdrawal without the computer.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 9:00 pm

iPads aren't computers, they glorified screens and keyboards that rely on actual computers to do the work and store the data. While its true the average person may not need anything more than that, its sad that that's true. I was really disapointed when the iPad was released to find it no better that a giant phone - without the phone. I wanted it to be better and more powerful that a PC nor less so.

As for Tim Cook not needing a PC, I would agree. He doesn't need tech to undermine and ultimately destroy what Steve Jobs built.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 9:03 pm

I use a desk/computer chair.

I can't imagine lying down whilst using a laptop. That would make me feel uncomfortable. I have used a desk/computer chair since being a young teenager.

Rainbowstarsxoxo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Dec 2023, 11:30 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I had a conversation at work. We were talking about Mac vs PC and someone mentioned that most of Apple's user base is on iOS and not MacOS.

I commented that Tim Cook had said the average person does not need a laptop, just an iPad. I also suggested that Tim Cook might be sabotaging the Mac in favour of the iPad.

Someone else said that, while this may not hold true for us, given that we all work in IT, for the average person an iPad is all that they need. Not a laptop or a desktop.

Do you think that this is true? Who is the average person and what do they use their devices for?

I have just a phone and an iPad and I don’t use a computer anymore. I may need it one day but not right now. I’m hoping to get a MacBook. I need a job first. I like using the iPad because it’s just like a computer. You can get a portable, separate, and wireless keyboard for the iPad. I really like the iPad more than my phone. I need my phone for emergency’s and to call my mom or for the police or driving services, but that’s about it.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2023, 7:24 pm

Though nobody 'needs' to own a PC or an electronic device, depending on your country, it is increasingly need to have access to something available at all times. We all may have interacted with an electronic information system at some point. Weather it be access to money, jobs or more 'forced' to use something because the old ways are increasingly reliant to be online only, self-service systems.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2023, 10:38 pm

It seems to me an iPad would be very inconvenient to use because you have to hold it with your hand. (I think? If you set it down on a table you would have to look at it from above.) A laptop holds itself up and allows you to see the screen (at any angle you choose) and to type without having to hold onto it. Can you even type on a tablet with both hands?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 6:29 pm

bee33 wrote:
It seems to me an iPad would be very inconvenient to use because you have to hold it with your hand. (I think? If you set it down on a table you would have to look at it from above.) A laptop holds itself up and allows you to see the screen (at any angle you choose) and to type without having to hold onto it. Can you even type on a tablet with both hands?

Sure, you just have to buy a stand, or a keyboard, and if you really want to get some heavy use out of it, a longer charging cord, and a wireless-enabled external storage device, and possibly a portable power-bank - and don't forget a stylus if you want to do a lot of writing...and a case to carry it all in is helpful too :D

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 10:22 am

DanielW wrote:
bee33 wrote:

Sure, you just have to buy a stand, or a keyboard, and if you really want to get some heavy use out of it, a longer charging cord, and a wireless-enabled external storage device, and possibly a portable power-bank - and don't forget a stylus if you want to do a lot of writing...and a case to carry it all in is helpful too :D
:D Exactly! So I am not wrong that it's very impractical, I guess.