why is negative, emotional music so good

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2023, 11:07 pm

Listening to Breaking Benjamin's album Dear Agony at the moment.

Most of what I listen to is similar. Music that is about feeling bad and empty. Even if I'm in a good place in life, like right now, I still love this kind of music.

Why do you think that is? Are you similar?

Even if I'm happy right now, the song I Will Not Bow is my theme song.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2023, 3:14 pm

I remember that album.

Most of the music I have is of the angsty kind.
I guess I identify with the emotions and it's a way of processing feelings without having to talk to anyone about them.
It also forms a connection with the band and I think it just snowballs from there and becomes a bit of an addiction.
Music is meant to make you feel something and it's like finding your tribe when you find the music that makes you feel not quite so alone in the universe.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Nov 2023, 7:10 pm

I listen to a lot of EMO, punk, & grunge. I think the emotions seem more real & relatable to me. The upbeat happy songs seem kinda fake & superficial sometimes even when I'm in a good mood.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2023, 9:15 pm

Raleigh wrote:

Most of the music I have is of the angsty kind.
I guess I identify with the emotions and it's a way of processing feelings without having to talk to anyone about them.
It also forms a connection with the band and I think it just snowballs from there and becomes a bit of an addiction.
Music is meant to make you feel something and it's like finding your tribe when you find the music that makes you feel not quite so alone in the universe.

:heart:

Without music I would not be able to understand my thoughts or communicate in any way.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2023, 3:17 am

I'm not sure, but I sure do love Converge. :skull:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 2:27 pm

I have no idea why. I love Joy Division for example, i used to listen to them when i was suicidal a long time ago. Maybe it makes me remember how far i have come from these times.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 6:29 pm

Sometimes it "feels so good to hurt so bad".

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Dec 2023, 6:46 pm

I have quite a few emotional songs on my iPod. Some of them even legitimately make me cry.

Not all of them are even about sad things. For example, I really enjoy Leona Lewis, and many of her songs are love songs despite being very emotional in tone.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2023, 6:55 pm

We live in a society that frowns on emotional expression calling it "drama". Enjoying art of any kind is a way of self-expression, at least in my opinion.

playgroundlover22695
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Dec 2023, 7:52 pm

colliegrace wrote:
Listening to Breaking Benjamin's album Dear Agony at the moment.

Most of what I listen to is similar. Music that is about feeling bad and empty. Even if I'm in a good place in life, like right now, I still love this kind of music.

Why do you think that is? Are you similar?

Even if I'm happy right now, the song I Will Not Bow is my theme song.

I absolutely love Breaking Benjamin! I saw them in concert this past summer with one of my all time favorite metal bands, Disturbed. I think what attracts me to Disturbed is the fact that they sing about a lot of strong issues, including how to fight through the pain of depression so as to avoid suicide. They also talk about a lot of issues such as racial injustice and government control. Also, while I do love the song "I will not Bow", my new favorite song by Breaking Benjamin is "Blow me Away", which for those of you who aren't familiar, is a track from the video game "Halo 2." Metal is one of my all time favorite genres. The sad tone always makes me feel better for some reason.

Rainbowstarsxoxo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Dec 2023, 5:58 am

It’s because we empathize with the artist. I like sad music too. I have more emotions when I listen to sad music.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2023, 4:37 pm

Maybe the human race is characterised by its misery?

I've been known to enjoy happy songs, but most of my favourite stuff is either sad or vitreolic.