NTs thinking we are doing 'power moves'

Page 5 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2023, 6:44 pm

KitLily wrote:
Unfortunately the only thing we *can't* get are friendships. Those do not happen at the click of a button. They take time, work, presence, empathy etc. Not something you can get at the click of a button. The same goes for love relationships I suppose.

While this is still true, the nature of friendships have changed. For those of us who don't have a social media presence (like me) it is next to impossible to sustain friendship beyond one meeting with a person under the age of 45.

When you meet a 18-45 year old meets each other F2F they will (I guarantee) share their Whatsapp, social media account (via their phones). You are then judged on your social media history in addition to your qualities you present F2F.

Then older people > 45 are fixed in their ways and are less likely to make long term friends. When I was on holiday back in November we were on a boat with tourists. The younger tourists largely kept to themselves but the older ones (in our age bracket) tried to make small talk. I remember a an older English couple we kept running into on the boat with their 20 something daughter. The girl seemed to be embarrassed to talk to us :lol:. But the parents wanted to keep talking, After a while it seemed we ought to swap contacts but I know from experience travel companions don't make for long term friends, Ironically they were equally embarrassed about keeping on running into us (including the airport :lol: ) but they incessantly felt the need for small talk even though we all knew this relationship was going no where.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2023, 4:54 pm

I think real life friendship is dying out tbh. Even families aren't close anymore, they are more competitors.

People are separate entities now, they don't need each other because they have computers, endless entertainment and online friends/ parasocial relationships. People need to work as much as possible, they focus on money and careers, paying bills etc. There isn't much time or need for friends anymore.

Let's just hope the internet doesn't suddenly stop working, we'd all be very suddenly floundering.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2023, 6:15 pm

KitLily wrote:
I think real life friendship is dying out tbh. Even families aren't close anymore, they are more competitors.

People are separate entities now, they don't need each other because they have computers, endless entertainment and online friends/ parasocial relationships. People need to work as much as possible, they focus on money and careers, paying bills etc. There isn't much time or need for friends anymore.

Let's just hope the internet doesn't suddenly stop working, we'd all be very suddenly floundering.

Yes I think this is called "hyper individualism" and yes you are right. Of course there are still "old boy" networks and "buddies" and "girlfriends" (plural) but the trend is moving away from that direction.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2023, 6:08 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Yes I think this is called "hyper individualism" and yes you are right. Of course there are still "old boy" networks and "buddies" and "girlfriends" (plural) but the trend is moving away from that direction.

I agree, and I think people are very lucky if they still have a close family or community around them these days. I suppose eventually no one will have those, everyone will be alone. Especially as only about 50% of people have children these days, they will not make their own families so will be more alone as they grow older.