Avi Loeb: the Harvard Physicist Who Thinks Its Always Aliens

Page 5 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 5:04 am

funeralxempire wrote:
When someone crosses into the latter they should expect to be derided by experts in the field, even if they themselves are also an expert in the field.

It's not unexpected, just disappointing in this day and age.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 5:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
When someone crosses into the latter they should expect to be derided by experts in the field, even if they themselves are also an expert in the field.

It's not unexpected, just disappointing in this day and age.

It's disappointing for people to point out that weakly premised arguments are weakly premised? :scratch:

How dare scientists of all people express skepticism of an unsubstantiated claim.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 5:20 am

funeralxempire wrote:
How dare scientists of all people express skepticism of an unsubstantiated claim.

Skepticism is one thing (in science it is expected) but ridicule is just a poor attempt to undermine his reputation.
Avi Loeb invites his detractors to debate him and/or present countet-evidence. So far no one has.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 5:35 am

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Skepticism is one thing (in science it is expected) but ridicule is just a poor attempt to undermine his reputation.
Avi Loeb invites his detractors to debate him and/or present countet-evidence. So far no one has.

You mean he's forgotten how burden of evidence works?

If I claimed I had a dragon in my garage you'd expect me to prove it and to provide more evidence than something with scorch marks that at best could potentially have resulted from a dragon, but don't actually amount to evidence of a dragon.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 5:35 am

An impartial and open minded interview with Loeb given by Lex Friedman a PhD graduate from MIT in neural networks and worked for Tesla to develop autopilots.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 3:58 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
If I claimed I had a dragon in my garage you'd expect me to prove it and to provide more evidence than something with scorch marks that at best could potentially have resulted from a dragon, but don't actually amount to evidence of a dragon.

There are many examples of paranormal events (insert) here on earth but again that's not what Loeb is saying. An object has entered our solar system. form outside the solar system. Has there been a precedence? No, Has conventional science come up with an explanation? no? So everything is up for grabs.

There is only one other example of an object detected by NASA which wasn't a comet and moved against gravity and it turned our to be an old booster cylinder from the US rocket program. THis is why Loeb is saying we need to keep an open mind that the cylindrical object (yes that's the shape) could be spent junk from another solar system that for all we know could be 1 billion years old.

You can't have it both ways. Scientists ridicule Loeb but concurrently say it's statistically likely advanced civilisations exist elsewhere but its impossible that junk from another solar system could end up here.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 5:41 pm

This object moved funny and requires further investigation is not the same as this objected moved funny, therefore aliens.

He's mocked for the therefore aliens part because it's not substantiated. Pointing out a lack of other proven explanations doesn't strengthen the therefore aliens part either. If he wants to claim aliens he needs to prove aliens, not just an object that moved oddly.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 4:53 am

funeralxempire wrote:
This object moved funny and requires further investigation, so there is a remote chance it may be of alien origin[/i]

Fixed it for you

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 4:59 am

funeralxempire wrote:
If he wants to claim aliens he needs to prove aliens.

I think that's what he's trying to do

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 4:58 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
This object moved funny and requires further investigation, so there is a remote chance it may be of alien origin[/i]

Fixed it for you

That's a very charitable interpretation of his claims. If that's all he was actually appearing to claim he wouldn't be getting torn a new one by so many of his peers.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 8:07 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Fixed it for you

That's a very charitable interpretation of his claims. If that's all he was actually appearing to claim he wouldn't be getting torn a new one by so many of his peers.

One of his colleagues quietly confided with him that "he wished rocks entering our solar system from outside did not exist", Perplexed he asked his colleague "aren't you at least curious?" to which he got no reply

Herein lies the problem, while phenomena exist which require a questioning of one's world view then these clowns prefer to stick their heads in the sand and wait for the commotion to be over.

But, if Mr alien really did appear on the front lawn of the whitehouse saying "take me to your leader" then 99% of these clowns will change their tune faster than the velocity of the aforementioned space rock and take over the narrative as if they always knew.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 9:37 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Herein lies the problem, while phenomena exist which require a questioning of one's world view then these clowns prefer to stick their heads in the sand and wait for the commotion to be over.

But, if Mr alien really did appear on the front lawn of the whitehouse saying "take me to your leader" then 99% of these clowns will change their tune faster than the velocity of the aforementioned space rock and take over the narrative as if they always knew.

Yes. If concrete evidence of aliens emerged, skeptical experts would change their tune.

So far persuasive evidence that conclusively points to alien life as the only explanation has not been encountered. That doesn't mean it won't ever be encountered, but it hasn't been presented so far.

Maybe it's aliens, but that doesn't mean aliens have been proven conclusively. Until they are, insisting it must be aliens is silly.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 11:17 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yes. If concrete evidence of aliens emerged, skeptical experts would change their tune.

So far persuasive evidence that conclusively points to alien life as the only explanation has not been encountered. That doesn't mean it won't ever be encountered, but it hasn't been presented so far.

Maybe it's aliens, but that doesn't mean aliens have been proven conclusively. Until they are, insisting it must be aliens is silly.

I think Avi is being brave, he is using his high profile to destigmatise this avenue of investigation. Kudos to him.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 5:39 am

Professor Michio Kaku a prominent physicist also saying....it's aliens...

How is it hiding one's head in the sand?