Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2023, 9:47 am

Mona Pereth wrote:

Had any of the Western colonial powers decided to exile all their Jews to some other, more obscure place in the world, like maybe some south Pacific island, and had said island then eventually become a Jewish state, then it would not have gotten nearly so much worldwide attention, pro or con, no matter how brutally the indigenous people were slaughtered or displaced.

Madagascar was proposed.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/th ... car-plan-2

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2023, 10:29 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
Because of the Holocaust and things that the Nazis did to the Jews. I stand with Israel myself.

Even when Israel does horrible things like this?

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RihPfMEBluI

Israel Spokesman Stuns CNN’s Wolf Blitzer With Brutal Admission

I absent-mindedly used "quote" tags where I meant to use "youtube" tags:

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2023, 11:02 am

I'm not sure why this thread is still going, it should have been one post asking the question and other saying that it's definitely not wrong to criticize Israel for the numerous things they do that are worthy of criticism. Same as any other country really. How many more decades are they going to milk the holocaust and say you can't criticize them because of Nazis. Not to minimalize the pain and suffering and horrors of the holocaust, but it has been nearly 80 years since the end of the war, if we can't criticize the country now, then at what point is it long enough?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2023, 4:11 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Strategic interests align.

There's the real reason.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2023, 5:18 pm

Cataclysmic Psychlone wrote:
Once again, humans - no doubt predominantly NTs - need to assert a hierarchy. Jews and Moslems are coming from two different angles.

I don't assume it's on purpose, but 'Moslem' is dated and might come off as insulting to some. Kind of like 'Mohometan'.
Quote:
Israel are attempting to defend themselves with Western values - and firepower.

Whats this even mean? Is the US constitution written on their artillery shells? Are they giving Palestinians fatal amounts of paper cuts with billions of copies of Plato's Republic?
Quote:
Palestinians do not hesitate in making themselves martyrs and draw attention to their suffering to Western media.

As opposed to the multi-million dollar pro-Israel lobbying apparatus which has spent decades throwing unreal amounts of cash at the media and politicians and civil society etc etc.? Which constantly pushes the narrative that: Jews are victims therefore Israel is always the victim. It plays on the un-nuanced perspective the center has wrt oppression. Just because you were horribly oppressed before does not mean you are incapable of oppression yourselves--or that that oppression is in any way necessary for your survival.

Quote:
Frankly, any society that is willing to use their own children as human shields and sacrifice them for attention is not that highly evolved. Not to mention utterly despicable.

This 'human shields' narrative is loaded with contradictions. Palestinian """society""" is not willingly using themselves as human shields. Especially not to get attention (I'm shocked I even need to say this). There could be a whole thread devoted to addressing this pervasive, insidious narrative used to justify the Israeli military's mass murder of Palestinian civilians.

Quote:
Let's not forget that Hamas started this war. Imagine how you would feel if your kids died at a music festival.

Israel and its allies started this war in 1948 and have continued it with the continued violent subjugation and oppression of Palestinians. Any regime that engages in imperialism abroad or apartheid at home is actively endangering its own civilians. Zionists endanger the very people they claim to protect with every Palestinian denied civil rights, every Palestinian executed without trial, every suppressed protest, every Palestinian village bulldozed, every Palestinian child shot for throwing a rock, every illegal settlement, and every desecrated holy site. Israel started it. Never, ever forget that. They create horror and call it peace. Resistance to that peace is then treated as the true aggression. What a Lie. Resistance against violent oppression is not and can never be "starting it".

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2023, 9:22 am

In a sane world it would not be wrong to criticize any nation that is actively being cruel to another group people. Unfortunately we do not live in a sane world.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2023, 11:29 am

roronoa79 wrote:
This 'human shields' narrative is loaded with contradictions. Palestinian """society""" is not willingly using themselves as human shields. Especially not to get attention (I'm shocked I even need to say this). There could be a whole thread devoted to addressing this pervasive, insidious narrative used to justify the Israeli military's mass murder of Palestinian civilians.

Perhaps you could start a thread devoted to debunking anti-Palestinian narratives?

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 11:32 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJAhmIu ... nieSanders

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 5:41 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
roronoa79 wrote:

Perhaps you could start a thread devoted to debunking anti-Palestinian narratives?

Not a bad idea.

- Thucydides

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 1:56 am

roronoa79 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
roronoa79 wrote:

Not a bad idea.

Actually, yes bad idea. This is an emotionally draining subject and writing in a social context is an emotionally draining activity. So I'ma post links then crawl under a rock.
This is a contentious subject. Am I asking you to believe everything you read here? No. Read and reach your own conclusions.

Here's an Al-Jazeera article from 2018.
Decolonize Palestine has a page on their site addressing the narrative.
And here is a quote from this article that I found salient.
Quote:
Progressive commentator Ana Kasparian recently appeared on the popular right-wing podcast PBD. The interview ranged over several subjects, but her most intense debate with the two hosts was about Israel’s assault on Gaza.

Kasparian expressed horror at the civilian death toll, which she compared to historical atrocities like the Armenian genocide during and after World War I. In response, one of the hosts accused her of falling for a liberal “media narrative.” The Israeli military didn’t want to kill civilians, he told her. The problem is that Hamas uses civilians as “human shields.”

In response, Kasparian asked him if he had any kids. When he said no, she switched examples:

OK, your mother. You talked about your mother. If an armed gunman grabbed your mother [and] had a gun to her head . . . and he is confronted by the authorities . . . they just decide, you know what? We’re not going to negotiate. We’re not going to do anything. We’re just going to shoot the hell out of both of them.

And then they come to you and say, well, your mother, sorry, was a human shield. Would you accept that argument?

The host refused to engage with what he called a “random story” about his mother. But Kasparian’s point was clear.

The problem with the “human shields” defense of Israel’s actions isn’t just that the factual premise is often dubious — although it is. It’s that even if that premise were completely correct, the use of the “human shields” dodge as a justification for bombing civilian targets would be absurd on its own terms.

- Thucydides

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 9:25 am

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-e ... c_team=crm

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 12:13 pm

Honey69 wrote:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67652494?at_campaign_type=owned&at_medium=emails&at_objective=awareness&at_ptr_type=email&at_ptr_name=salesforce&at_campaign=newsbriefing&at_email_send_date=20231211&at_send_id=4016692&at_link_title=https%3a%2f%2fwww.bbc.co.uk%2fnews%2fworld-middle-east-67652494&at_bbc_team=crm

This is a good report.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 2:24 am

Wrong? No. Hypocritical? Perhaps.. considering USA/Canada committed a near complete genocide of Indigenous peoples of North America murdering approximately 100,000,000 people over a couple hundred year span and then have committed further atrocities against survivors for the last century or so.

I know you and I didn't do those things, but the collective "we," of the USA/Canada Did.. so, IMO it's a bit hypocritical of us to criticize Israel.. yet still not wrong. We just need to remember to criticize our own countries for doing that s**t, too, and not pretend that we're any better than they are.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 2:39 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Wrong? No. Hypocritical? Perhaps.. considering USA/Canada committed a near complete genocide of Indigenous peoples of North America murdering approximately 100,000,000 people over a couple hundred year span and then have committed further atrocities against survivors for the last century or so.

I know you and I didn't do those things, but the collective "we," of the USA/Canada Did.. so, IMO it's a bit hypocritical of us to criticize Israel.. yet still not wrong. We just need to remember to criticize our own countries for doing that s**t, too, and not pretend that we're any better than they are.

Speak for yourself, I'm part Filipino and Hawaiian plus German and Irish. That means my ancestors were both on the recieving end of ethnic cleansing AND were participating in genocide and colonization.

I'm only going to say this: It's the right thing to criticize any country that does what Israel is currently. Period.

This whole eternity of collective guilt for the West BS thing really makes my head spin. It basicallty keeps us from making any true progress as a society which is why we are in the mess we are in today. :roll:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 3:12 am

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Speak for yourself, I'm part Filipino and Hawaiian plus German and Irish. That means my ancestors were both on the recieving end of ethnic cleansing AND were participating in genocide and colonization.

I'm only going to say this: It's the right thing to criticize any country that does what Israel is currently. Period.

This whole eternity of collective guilt for the West BS thing really makes my head spin. It basicallty keeps us from making any true progress as a society which is why we are in the mess we are in today. :roll:

This isn't ancient history. There's a reason that there's been a movement towards Truth & Reconciliation over the last few years. The last residential school system schools were closed in the 1990's, not 1700's. Senior citizens alive today suffered those abuses, and their children and grandchildren continue to experience the harms of intergenerational trauma.

The collective West needs to own its s**t and acknowledge these historical and recent wrongdoings and do better moving forward vs. pretending this was just some crap that happened hundreds of years ago and we don't need to answer for it. It's still going on, culturally, in selective law enforcement, in the courts & jails, in employment discrimination etc by a bunch of ignorant privileged descendants of colonizers that have the attitude that Indigenous peoples should "just get over it," and somehow be whole, happy, healthy, and productive. A bit hard to do when you're survivors of a recent and ongoing genocide. Many are doing the best they can given their circumstances, and I'm Certain would be doing even better with a little acknowledgment and effort put in by the general colonizer society.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 3:30 am

goldfish21 wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

This isn't ancient history. There's a reason that there's been a movement towards Truth & Reconciliation over the last few years. The last residential school system schools were closed in the 1990's, not 1700's. Senior citizens alive today suffered those abuses, and their children and grandchildren continue to experience the harms of intergenerational trauma.

The collective West needs to own its s**t and acknowledge these historical and recent wrongdoings and do better moving forward vs. pretending this was just some crap that happened hundreds of years ago and we don't need to answer for it. It's still going on, culturally, in selective law enforcement, in the courts & jails, in employment discrimination etc by a bunch of ignorant privileged descendants of colonizers that have the attitude that Indigenous peoples should "just get over it," and somehow be whole, happy, healthy, and productive. A bit hard to do when you're survivors of a recent and ongoing genocide. Many are doing the best they can given their circumstances, and I'm Certain would be doing even better with a little acknowledgment and effort put in by the general colonizer society.

Translation: "I want to see all of Western Civilization completely destroyed because the internet people told me it's all bad!" :roll: