Do you think it's childish to refuse to play M-rated games?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Dec 2023, 6:26 pm

I'm 31 years old. Despite my age, I really dislike M-rated games, and I refuse to play them. I feel like M-rated games tend to go overboard with violence and horror, and I generally prefer quieter, less violent series with non-gory combat (if any combat). Most games I play are rated E or E10, although a few are T. I also tend to like cute games because I'm fond of cute things.

Do you think it's childish for a 31-year-old man to dislike M-rated games?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 6:28 pm

No.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 6:35 pm

I'd say that it depends a bit on why, but generally speaking it's not childish to refuse to play. That being said, not doing it because your parents said no or because you want some superiority over the folks that are playing them would be childish.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 6:39 pm

I can’t do violent video games. Graphic violence bothers me. I’m not against M rated games from a moral standpoint. I just can’t do violence in books, TV, movies, or video games. If a movie is rated R because of violence, I can’t watch it.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 6:53 pm

Maybe, but who cares?

I don't think any of the games I have installed right now are rated M. I wouldn't refuse to play a game based on it's rating, but I don't really care for horror themes or gore.

I used to enjoy the Battlefield series, and Star Wars BF2 (the original, not the 2017 version). I would have enjoyed them all the same if they were rated M, mostly because more gore wouldn't have made a difference either way. I'm not there to stare at the details of my fallen foes, I've got still living foes shooting at me to worry about. That might be the difference between tactical shooters and other shooters though.

That said, the main game I play is an old racing sim. I like it because it's as challenging as trying to drive a real car on the limits.

I think I'd be more likely to perceive a gamer as childish if they insist on playing with the difficulty too low to represent an actual challenge, rather than the content of what they play.

For the most part video game violence doesn't bother me, it just holds very little appeal to me.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 8:09 pm

I like violence and gore in shooting games. It gives them a sense of realism. But at the same time, one knows it isn't real.

I really don't like irl violence. Any kind of violence that has consequences disturbs me.

Since video game violence is inconsequential, taking place in a virtual world/machine, it seems okay to me.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2023, 6:26 pm

As one who is very into body horror... I don't think it's childish at all. Gore and violence aren't for everyone, and there's nothing wrong with that. The real point in playing games is to have fun, and that is a very individual thing - everyone's tastes are different.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2023, 7:10 pm

No. That said, some games with an M rating only just barely deserve it. Persona 4 for example is very tame overall, I think the reason for the M rating is because one of the boss battles involved a pole dancing boss.... still, nothing terribly indecent was shown. Persona 5 did a little more to deserve the M rating, several uses of the word "f**k" for instance.

Overall, I think I'm more with you on my preferences. I dislike heavy horror and I like cuter things.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2023, 11:31 pm

No. Saying it's childish to not want to play M rated games is like saying it's childish to watch PG-13 movies and that only 13 year old kids should be watching them. You do you.

I'm almost 50 and all the games I play and enjoy are either E or T rated and have cute or cartoony characters.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2023, 12:06 am

What is an M rated game

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2023, 12:31 am

It's what rated R is for movies. There's more stuff like gore, swearing, and sexual content. It depends on the game.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2023, 12:41 am

I don't think that's immature at all. You've got to do what's right for you and not what's right for everybody else.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2023, 12:54 am

Not at all. If it isn't fun why waste your time?

I enjoy the challenge of playing golf but a lot of people find it too hard or frustrating.

jeh666452
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Apr 2024, 10:04 pm

I might be wrong but I don't think I play many M rated games either. Besides the obvious shooters, I don't play any horror games, which to me seem to be the stereotypical M rated game.