Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Amicitia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Dec 2023, 9:10 am

Hi everyone - wow I have not been here in a long time.

I work for an environmental nonprofit that has its own magazine. I've been asked to write an article about disabled people doing outdoor recreation. Would anyone here be interested in sharing a story about what it's like to be autistic outdoors?

We're aiming to publish the article some time this coming year. The magazine goes to 40,000 people across the U.S. If this opportunity for representation excites you, reply here!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

07 Dec 2023, 6:21 pm

! Cornflake wrote:
Request approved, retrospectively.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2023, 9:21 pm

I'm probably just about the opposite of what you're looking for. I used to live and work in the back country during the summers in high school and have completed 50 miles by both foot and canoe, as well as climbing a mountain.

That being said, I am all sorts of ND and have had a lot of issues with psychosomatic disorder over the years on top of general mental health issues.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2023, 9:44 pm

Can I be pseudonymous, and can I talk about the negative aspects like raging Scopophobia, Agoraphobia, social anxiety, and the fact sunlight makes me want to die? How about the fact I was mimicked by bullies for my running posture as a kid, so I quit the Track and Field team despite being very successful? Or enjoying horseback riding on the horse my grandad got me, until he killed himself in a room overlooking the pasture?

Stuff like that?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 4:04 pm

l like taking walks outdoors. If find it is a great solitary activity.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Amicitia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2023, 8:12 pm

MatchboxVagabond - Nifty! Our readers are mostly interested in more low-key accessible outdoor recreation, but I sure would love to tell a story about how disabled people are capable of tackling true back-country experiences.

IsabellaLinton - Definitely we can use pseudonyms. And I want to push on how far my editor will let me go with acknowledging barriers to outdoor recreation for disabled people. Because if our readers are serious when they say they want to engage more people in outdoor recreation, they've got to get involved in dismantling those barriers.

ASPartOfMe - Walking is outdoor recreation! Are you interested in sharing a story about why it's important to you?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 8:14 pm

I try to avoid being autistic outdoors. Since I can't control the first part, it means I stay indoors. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 10:42 pm

Amicitia wrote:
MatchboxVagabond - Nifty! Our readers are mostly interested in more low-key accessible outdoor recreation, but I sure would love to tell a story about how disabled people are capable of tackling true back-country experiences.

IsabellaLinton - Definitely we can use pseudonyms. And I want to push on how far my editor will let me go with acknowledging barriers to outdoor recreation for disabled people. Because if our readers are serious when they say they want to engage more people in outdoor recreation, they've got to get involved in dismantling those barriers.

ASPartOfMe - Walking is outdoor recreation! Are you interested in sharing a story about why it's important to you?

Most often there is no social interaction to worry about. The outdoor air makes me feel better.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 1:14 am

Amicitia wrote:
Hi everyone - wow I have not been here in a long time.

I work for an environmental nonprofit that has its own magazine. I've been asked to write an article about disabled people doing outdoor recreation. Would anyone here be interested in sharing a story about what it's like to be autistic outdoors?

We're aiming to publish the article some time this coming year. The magazine goes to 40,000 people across the U.S. If this opportunity for representation excites you, reply here!

I know someone who would probably be interested and will refer him to this thread....

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 2:58 pm

My friend Mona Pereth referred me to this post.

I am self-diagnosed, having read about Asperger's in 1978 and have never had any doubt about it since. I too would not like my name used in the article.

Yes, I love the outdoors and have found outdoor activities to be very useful in living with ASD. I could write a book on the subject. I have participated in many outdoor sports, as long as it doesn't involve a ball. I think if my hand-eye coordination had been tested in school they would have realized forcing me to play ball sports is like forcing a fish to climb a tree ☹. Of course I was always picked last for teams, having been subjected to that socially cruel ritual. Furthermore when another (apparently) ASD kid was there, I would still, not surprisingly, be picked last, just after him.

Anyway, my body coordination is otherwise acceptable for most sports. So I have used many sports to socialize and meet people: skiing, autocross, road rallies, running, hiking, back packing, bike tours, sailing. The brain regulation that I get from a very active sport like hiking was useful in meeting people. I met my wife while on a group hike. Hiking also has the advantage that eye contact is less expected.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2023, 12:01 pm

Amicitia wrote:

That was my assumption, there's more variety in this than one might expect. It's probably the ADHD aspect that drove that. Also, I'm less clumsy than most

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 8:04 am

sent you a PM, I can participate if you accept email communications. thanks

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson