Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 6:37 am

For the past few years, every week, been eating a couple of packs of frozen vegetables. A couple of days ago, got tired of it. Could use an alternative. Microwave only. Not expensive or fattening. Filling. But everything is too expensive, hard to cook, or fattening.

What kind of food could replace frozen vegetables?

What kind of food did you get tired of eating?

What kind of food did you eat for a long time and still not tired of eating?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 7:48 am

I know exactly what you mean... My diet is so restricted I basically eat vegetables, fish, meat, fruit, some gluten free grains. It's SO BORING.

What about fresh veg i.e. salads? They don't take long to prepare- lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber...whatever else you fancy.

The other thing I eat is cultured vegetables- sauerkraut, kimchi, kvass. Things like that are very, very good for your digestive system.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Dec 2023, 8:26 am

Fresh vegetables steamed or stir fried over regular pasta e g spaghetti or macaroni, add some fresh or dried herbs. The instant Chinese style noodles can also work well and are economical.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Dec 2023, 2:00 pm

I was an extremely picky eater as a kid (OK I still am but not quite as bad) & mom really hated having to cook special meals for me so she usually cooked the same couple foods for me 1ce a day & I pigged out. I got burnt out on instant mashed potatoes & cheese due to eating a lot most everday for at least a couple years. Mom made cheese sandwiches every school day since it was about the only non snack food I ate that could be a boxed lunch & she also packed a small bag of chips & can of soda. Eating the same cold sandwhich got very tirring & after I started high-scool I quit eating them & mom started giving me a couple bux to buy food at school. Some days I would just get soda & snacks out the vending machine or just soda because school wasn't serving food I ate & I wanted to put the extra money with my pitance allowance to buy Nintendo 64 games.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 2:26 pm

I never get tired of pizza.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 2:37 pm

I think the hardest thing is that its hard to get a variety of foods when one is on a tight budget - food prices are already crazy and getting higher every week.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 3:26 pm

I never get tired of chicken... or chocolate.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 5:35 pm

DanielW wrote:
I think the hardest thing is that its hard to get a variety of foods when one is on a tight budget - food prices are already crazy and getting higher every week.

And I only earn minimum wage. And I have to pay for medical insurance. And I could get made redundant any day now. And grocery costs skyrocketing

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 7:18 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
I never get tired of chicken... or chocolate.

Most days I eat a couple of pieces of microwaved chicken drumsticks. They taste good but not addictive

Have not eaten chocolate since August last year. Been craving chocolate a lot lately, especially when I think about all the BS I have to put up with at work, and that my sister is selling the house I live in and I have to move out. And expensive health insurance

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 1:32 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I like pizza but not that much. Also, don't want to gain too much weight. On the other hand, now that I am 40, and rapidly getting physically weaker and slower, sooner or later, will gain a lot of weight. Working a manual labor job. Exhausted all the time.

Have to eat food that:

doesn't make me so exhausted
Doesn't make me gain too much weight
Not $$$$$
Not hard to cook

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 4:00 am

I eat a lot of boiled millet. It is cheap and filling. Make sure you cook it til it's fluffy though so it's nice.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 9:25 pm

Don't know why, but I hardly ever get bored with my rather restrictive diet. Occasionally I think it might be fun to try something different, but when I think of the work involved in figuring out a new recipe, the thought of being stuck with the same old food somehow loses its sting. I'll probably try something new one of these days though.

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jan 2024, 10:03 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I like pizza but not that much. Also, don't want to gain too much weight. On the other hand, now that I am 40, and rapidly getting physically weaker and slower, sooner or later, will gain a lot of weight. Working a manual labor job. Exhausted all the time.

Have to eat food that:

doesn't make me so exhausted
Doesn't make me gain too much weight
Not $$$$$
Not hard to cook

I love pizza (in fact, I had pizza for dinner today), but I don't eat it all the time. I'm already obese as it is.