Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

LittleGreenAlien
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Dec 2023, 3:55 pm

Greetings! I'm Dell and I was diagnosed with ASD this year and it made a lot of things make sense but also made me very sad looking back and scared to look forward. I'm here to try and figure some things out and this community seems very nice and welcoming from what i've seen :] :alien:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2023, 5:15 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Your introduction was short. Perhaps you might tell us a little bit more about yourself. For example, what made you very sad looking back and scared to look forward?

Last edited by jimmy m on 13 Dec 2023, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2023, 5:16 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2023, 5:41 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you like it here...and find it useful.

Many here have expressed that getting their diagnosis helped them understand their life better. Certainly that was true for me.

"made me very sad looking back" because...it would've been helpful to have had the diagnosis sooner?

"scared to look forward"...the only way the diagnosis has changed you is it has improved your understanding of yourself. Problems in your future would likely have been there whether you had the diagnosis, or not.

But, I don't see your age. I was diagnosed at age 64. Not only did the diagnosis not create new problems. The diagnosis explained problems past but I was old enough and retired enough I didn't need to worry about future problems.

LittleGreenAlien
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Dec 2023, 6:31 pm

Double Retired wrote:
But, I don't see your age. I was diagnosed at age 64. Not only did the diagnosis not create new problems. The diagnosis explained problems past but I was old enough and retired enough I didn't need to worry about future problems.

I'm 18 and a college freshman, I'm mostly worried about how my autism will effect me being able to find a job, get an internship, or how it will affect the rest of my adult life. My autism already effects how I interact with the world and most of the time I find life's demands very tiring and confusing.

and the sad looking back is about how I was bulled a lot as a kid and treated as lesser or a joke for having autistic symptoms but I thought they were my friends because I didn't understand I was being bullied.

(also how do i display my age like you are doing :alien: i can't find an option for it in the my account menu )

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2023, 9:14 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2023, 9:57 pm

How do you display your age? That sometime isn't as easy as it you would expect (the WP software is shaky).

Try entering your birthdate (or approximate birthdate) in your profile in dd-mm-yyyy format. (Ignoring what the page says. In day, month, order with "-" between the parts.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 8:29 am

LittleGreenAlien wrote:
I'm 18 and a college freshman, I'm mostly worried about how my autism will effect me being able to find a job, get an internship, or how it will affect the rest of my adult life. My autism already effects how I interact with the world and most of the time I find life's demands very tiring and confusing.

and the sad looking back is about how I was bulled a lot as a kid and treated as lesser or a joke for having autistic symptoms but I thought they were my friends because I didn't understand I was being bullied.

I have Asperger's Syndrome. I was one of the first individuals in my large extended family to ever go to college and get a degree. (My major was nuclear physics). Life was very cruel to me, especially from 6th through 8th grade. I was both mentally and physically attacked on a daily basis by students in my school. They found out they could form gangs and they went wild. But I survived and when I went to high school, I learned to trust my instincts and by the end of 4 years, my classmates viewed me as the class genius.

So what advice can I offer you. I am 75 years old and I am happy. I lived a very remarkable life. So if you have Asperger
's Syndrome, know that you can figure out problems on your own, but you must learn to trust in yourself.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 8:44 am

welcome, glad you found us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 9:13 am

WELCOME.. to wrong planet ..
if you please hope you find some good conversations/ interactions here .. :mrgreen: my Alien arrival .!

where ever you go ,there you are