Do Others Treat You Like You're Broken?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jutty1224
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2023, 11:34 pm

Do ever feel like there are times when other, especially family, might treat you as if you are broken. It's when you're treated like you can't function as an adult, but you know in you're mind that you can. However in your own mind, you know you're capable of living independently, even though you might do it in your own way.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 11:44 pm

I do live independently, with my kids, and I own a house, but I still get treated like I'm broken and defective. My mother once went on a campaign around my neighbourhood telling people I was "incompetent". She even went into my vet's practice and told them I was incompetent. Yay ?

I get treated like I'm broken from just about everyone. Either they think I'm broken from my autism, or they respect me as a functional adult but treat me like I'm broken because of my trauma.

It's either condescension or pity.

Yuck.

It would be OK if they'd acknowledge that yes, there are some areas in which I struggle, if they were willing to do something about it and help me.

That seems to be too much to ask.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2023, 2:53 am

My mother was totally aware of my anomalies, pointed them out but took no further action.
My dad also has an abnormality but doesn't think it's a disease, so he thinks I'm just as normal as him.
Grandpa was wise and thought I just lacked skills.
Happy family, isn't it?
My dad lives alone in a weird way so I figured I'd do that too if I didn't have any better options

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 2:08 am

Not broken, but different.

Ranging from fragile and 'special' to cautious uncertainty because they genuinely don't know what to do with me.

So am I, I either treat others like fragile beings or with cautious uncertainty because that's just how I perceive basically almost everyone -- that, and I don't know what to do with them, either.

Well, if only telepathy is possible...
In which no one had to say what I can and cannot do, what I do and do not know -- and the same with the other way around.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 4:25 pm

No. Too high functioning and relatively intelligent. I never get cut slack as if I were broken. I just get flack for making mistakes when they happen as I’m expected not to f**k things up.

Count your blessings that others acknowledge you’re broken and cut you slack for ASD induced shortcomings, IMO.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2024, 2:57 am

Yes, but not in a bad or condescending way. I think my family just kind of knew that some things are hard for me, though it's subtle and kind of inexplicable. For instance I can't drive, which is one of the few tangible things I can point to that I can't do. A more subtle "for instance" is that I need to straighten out some local taxes that have been billed incorrectly and so far I've put it off for about two years. That's the kind of thing that many people who don't have deficits would also find burdensome or annoying, but that's not quite the same as it is for me. I'm not just annoyed by it, but so daunted that I don't think I can tackle it. It's the kind of thing that's hard to explain and could easily be interpreted as procrastination.