Page 1 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 6:53 pm

The term "woke" is highly controversial. When right wing writer Bethany Mandel, spearheading the intellectual basis of the anti-woke movement was interviewed she quite shockingly was unable to define "wokeness"
https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplac ... oes-viral/

So as a cultural phenomena the concept (largely a popular reactionary movement from western conservatives) is still quite fluid.

The anti-woke caravan is now doing it's rounds in various parts of the western world. In France its now considered that having short hair in a beauty pageant is considered "woke" aimed at the new Miss France winner
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real- ... 31c3792612

What is bizarre is that many of the most iconic symbols of fashion have always included the short hair look? Many in France are confused at the backlash.

So what is considered "woke" and who get's to decide?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 7:15 pm

Soon "woke" will likely mean "absolutely anything that doesn't 100% fit within the most extreme right wing agenda."

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 7:32 pm

It's called Rainbow Capitalism.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 7:44 pm

That's hilarious. I can't decide what's worse - right-wingers or "beauty" contests.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 7:47 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
It's called Rainbow Capitalism.

^ This

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 7:53 pm

Okay, it's like this.

Imagine a corporation takes your social identity and attaches it to a poorly written character then marketed to you as part of a poorly conceived product that pushes an agenda which is force identity politics down your throat. The Plot of the story? Who cares? It's about the message. Everything has to be about identity politics. A character is nothing outside of their social identity. It's a trend. Dig up old franchises, dust them off, and insert identity politics into them for a modern audience. Box office bomb after box office bomb because no body cares about this trend. I don't care about this trend. But Hollywood is going to keep trying because they've got nothing else.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 7:55 pm

Woke is anything any given reactionary is complaining about.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 7:55 pm

From what i can determine, 'woke' can be applied to anything you feel threatened by and wish to undermine.

If it has a meaning, that meaning seems to be: Feel free to dismiss this person/thing because they/it doesn't deserve serious consideration.

That generally makes me suspicious - why doesn't someone want me to give that thing serious consideration?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 8:16 pm

Well...its a no brainer.

"Woke" means "anything in the world that I dont like". :D

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 9:18 pm

Woke is also anything that annoying college-educated agist millenial-and-boomer-hating white liberals feel entitled to enforce on the world around them and if you don't join their cause they brand you a racist/sexist/transphobic and will say anything to discredit and shame you. :jester:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 9:49 pm

"Woke" or "Wokeism" is a general political worldview that looks at things this way.

The United States is systematically racist and has been from the get-go.

"Racism' and "privilege" are about groups, not individuals. A common example is a white person who has led a hardscrabble life but because of skin color automatically has "white privilege" and is probably if not definitely racist.

Racism and privilege are so hardwired into American society that most white people can not see their privilege and the racist acts they commit, they assume it is normal.

Presentism - Historical figures are judged by current "woke" standards. In judging these people nuance is not allowed, they are mainly judged on the racist things or things they said or did. If they have a statue or monument it must be knocked down etc.

If you are a member of a group designed as privileged in order for allyship to occur you must "do the work" which entails in part realizing many things you thought were normal were really racist. If you fail to do that you should be canceled.

"Merit" and "Colorblindness" are not goals but main problems because they deflect from truth-seeking thus enabling racism.

If you are not a member of an oppressed group you have no right to opine about that group, and no right if you are an actor to play of member of that group.

While I used racism it applies to many "isms" and "phobics".

What wokeness is not is anything and everything MAGA's do not like.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 9:56 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
"Woke" or "Wokeism" is a general political worldview that looks at things this way.

The United States is systematically racist and has been from the get-go.

"Racism' and "privilege" are about groups, not individuals. A common example is a white person who has led a hardscrabble life but because of skin color automatically has "white privilege" and is probably if not definitely racist.

Racism and privilege are so hardwired into American society that most white people can not see their privilege and the racist acts they commit, they assume it is normal.

Presentism - Historical figures are judged by current "woke" standards. In judging these people nuance is not allowed, they are mainly judged on the racist things or things they said or did. If they have a statue or monument it must be knocked down etc.

If you are a member of a group designed as privileged in order for allyship to occur you must "do the work" which entails in part realizing many things you thought were normal were really racist. If you fail to do that you should be canceled.

"Merit" and "Colorblindness" are not goals but main problems because they deflect from truth-seeking thus enabling racism.

If you are not a member of an oppressed group you have no right to opine about that group, and no right if you are an actor to play of member of that group.

While I used racism it applies to many "isms" and "phobics".

Funny thing about wokism is that even if you fit into the category of an "oppressed group" (for exampke I'm LGBTQ and I'm racially mixed but pass for white unlike my father) you're still not allowed by the white liberal kids who play moral police to say anything critical about this movement.

Talk about real "white privilage". :jester:

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 10:38 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

[...]

According to you.

But there is no authoritative, canonical definition of "wokeness." It's not a technical term, nor is there a "wokeness manifesto." The people who originally used "woke" in a political context (Black Lives Matter activists) used it as a general exhortation (e.g. "Stay woke!"), not as a reference to any specific well-defined set of ideas.

So it now means whatever any given person using it wants it to mean.

And, as far as I can tell, it has largely evolved into meaning precisely what you say it does not mean: "anything and everything MAGA's do not like."

And in France, it now apparently means "anything and everything deemed by French right wingers not to be traditionally French enough."

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 11:32 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

[...]

According to you.

But there is no authoritative, canonical definition of "wokeness." It's not a technical term, nor is there a "wokeness manifesto." The people who originally used "woke" in a political context (Black Lives Matter activists) used it as a general exhortation (e.g. "Stay woke!"), not as a reference to any specific well-defined set of ideas.

And, as far as I can tell, it has largely evolved into meaning precisely what you say it does not mean: "anything and everything MAGA's do not like."

And in France, it now apparently means "anything and everything deemed by French right wingers not to be traditionally French enough."

And I suppose anyone who disagrees with you on this is an evil MAGA bigot, right?

You know what I honestly think? I think everybody on the internet including me is a trash-talking terminally online know-nothing trying to be an expert on things they know nothing about but are being systematically brainwashed into hating each other violently because the powers at be are trying to start World War 3 for kicks.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 11:51 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

[...]

According to you.

A lot of learned people use it in a similar manner to me. As I mentioned in another thread very recently liberal Jews worried about antisemitism and anti-zionism are using the term often to describe a similar phenomenon as me. Many of those arguably similar to you were dismissive of the term three months ago.

It is not so much what it is called but what it describes which is a way of thinking I described. I am concluding many of those mocking the term or minimizing the term are really saying the type of thinking I described does not exist or is way overhyped.

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
Funny thing about wokism is that even if you fit into the category of an "oppressed group" (for exampke I'm LGBTQ and I'm racially mixed but pass for white unlike my father) you're still not allowed by the white liberal kids who play moral police to say anything critical about this movement.

Talk about real "white privilage". :jester:

They will often say you are "white adjacent" which describes not really white but gloming onto "white privilege".

Most of us here are in an "oppressed group", Autistics.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2023, 12:22 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
They will often say you are "white adjacent" which describes not really white but gloming onto "white privilege".

Pretty sure I'd self-identify under that label. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う