Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 5:38 pm

Yeah... I'm just really bitter. :|

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 5:42 pm

I used to be a very bitter, cynical person. I'm still pretty cynical, but a lot less bitter.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 5:44 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I used to be a very bitter, cynical person. I'm still pretty cynical, but a lot less bitter.

I was cynical long before I turned into a bitter jerk. Maybe that's why I'm so bitter about the world? :|

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 5:46 pm

I can be cynical and bitter. It depends on the day.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 5:51 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:

Imagine being like this every day? And any moment you try to genuinenly be optimistic and hopeful about life people come and pop your balloon reminding you of why you hate people to begin with.

I feel surrounded by toxic people but if I were to cut every toxic person from my life I'd be all alone and even more depressed.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 5:52 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I was cynical long before I turned into a bitter jerk. Maybe that's why I'm so bitter about the world? :|

A cynical outlook can contribute, but experiences and perspective do too. If you've been mistreated and if you struggle to see the good in the world, those three factors can make it a lot easier to become bitter.

That said, there's lots of positive in the world as well and it all occurs in spite of the negative. Actively overlooking that just does a disservice to one's self.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 5:53 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

Imagine being like this every day? And any moment you try to genuinenly be optimistic and hopeful about life people come and pop your balloon reminding you of why you hate people to begin with.

I feel surrounded by toxic people but if I were to cut every toxic person from my life I'd be all alone and even more depressed.

I am almost all alone. One gets used to it after awhile.

I think there’s something in between cynical/bitter and hopeful/optimistic. That’s where I usually am.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 5:55 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

Not only would it be a lonely existence, often when people are very quick to cut 'toxic' people out of their lives, they're doing it as a defence mechanism to avoid confronting their own toxic traits and behaviours.

Sometimes it's worthwhile to focus more on what one can change about themselves, vs. how everyone else is flawed and broken. It's not that everyone else doesn't have issues, it's just that internal changes are easier and generally make more impact to one's well-being.

Making one as*hole less of an as*hole doesn't help when the next as*hole shows up. Having better coping mechanisms for as*holes helps with every as*hole you meet.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 5:56 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I think there’s something in between cynical/bitter and hopeful/optimistic. That’s where I usually am.

I'd like to think I'm cynical/hopeful. :nerdy:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 5:58 pm

:lol:

I think of myself as a realist, but it depends on the day. Some days are better or worse than others.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 6:02 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:

I think of myself as a realist, but it depends on the day. Some days are better or worse than others.

I'm not sure I believe in 'realists', if only because when two of them are in the same room they never agree. :lol:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 6:03 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

I'm not sure I believe in 'realists', if only because when two of them are in the same room they never agree. :lol:

I’m not sure if I’ve ever experienced that. :lol:

Minuteman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Dec 2023, 6:13 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

I think we all have toxic people in our lives. The key is how you deal with them. But many of us (including me) have a hard time identifying toxic people and lack the social skills to handle them.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 6:22 pm

I think you guys are right... I really do need to work on my own toxic behavior instead of just cutting people out. Besides some people I think are toxic probably arent really as bad as I think.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 6:27 pm

RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
I think you guys are right... I really do need to work on my own toxic behavior instead of just cutting people out. Besides some people I think are toxic probably arent really as bad as I think.

Sometimes even, they're genuinely toxic too, but improving your coping skills reduces the costs of interacting with that person. If the cost isn't too high, all of a sudden you can tolerate them enough to get along adequately.

Everyone's got some toxic traits to work on, everyone's got room for improvement.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2023, 4:51 pm

I went through a bitter stage when I was in my very early 20s. I'm now a Sweet Pea.