Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 8:30 pm

So I've mentioned many times that I'm a slowly converting Catholic. (Slowly most cuz lack of transportation to get the process of conversion started.)

My current church (Protestant) allows me to go full mask-off during service. I can sit oddly, I can fidget, I can wear noise cancelling headphones, I can even nibble on chewelry. Nobody cares, they know I and several other members (mostly children tho) are autistic and they accept our differences.
And I am avoiding anything terribly distracting.

I'm not sure how this may change with attending a Catholic church. I did attend a Catholic service a couple months back, and I had my fidgets out for subtle stimming. In-ear noise canceling instead of over-the-ear.

I suppose something to maybe mention to the priest at whatever church I eventually attend.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 8:34 pm

Based on Catholic priests I've interacted with, it's probably something you can safely bring up. They'd rather have you there than not.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 10:43 pm

Screw either one, Catholic, or mainstream Protestant.

You should go to a mountain Pentecostal church.

If you stimmed and fidgetted and had full blown meltdowns you would just fit right in with everyone else there who would be "getting the Holy Spirit" and fainting and talking in tongues! :D

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Dec 2023, 11:01 pm

Nowadays there's a lot more awareness of autism. Most churches would probably be ok with discreet stimming. Probably best to avoid overtly distracting ones if possible, since not all the attendees are likely to be as informed of your needs as those in charge.

I find it great that more churches are streaming their services now. I am very touch averse, and it's hard to find a church were they don't love handshakes and even hugs. I actually wore a t shirt that said "Don't touch me, I'm autistic" to two different churches recently. I kept my hands in my pockets. People would actually look at the wording on the shirt, then touch my arm or shoulder!

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2023, 12:12 am

I’m a member of a Small Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod congregation, after spending 37 years, on and off, with one of the largest Evangelical Lutheran Church in America congregation. Frankly, I’ve been treated better in LCMS than I’ve ever treated with the ELCA. I’ve disclosed my mental and developmental condition to my pastors I’ve served under in Missouri Synod, and they didn’t seem to have an issue with my disability. I’ve also disclosed to a few members of the congregation, and they don’t seem to have a problem with my disability.

The only time I might have an issue is when the pipe organ, a slowly dying Moller unit organ, goes out of tune. The tech that takes care of this unit is not very reputable. I’ve tried talking the organist into dealing with Columbia Organ Works in Lancaster County,
Which has a very good reputation nationwide, especially with the leather used on the wind chests, since the formulation they use to tan the leather they found in the papers of the now defunct Aeolian-Skinner Company, but this is a congregation of stubborn York County Dutch, said congregation is quite tight-fisted when it comes to finances.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2023, 5:53 am

MuddRM wrote:
The only time I might have an issue is when the pipe organ, a slowly dying Moller unit organ, goes out of tune. The tech that takes care of this unit is not very reputable. I’ve tried talking the organist into dealing with Columbia Organ Works in Lancaster County,
Which has a very good reputation nationwide, especially with the leather used on the wind chests, since the formulation they use to tan the leather they found in the papers of the now defunct Aeolian-Skinner Company, but this is a congregation of stubborn York County Dutch, said congregation is quite tight-fisted when it comes to finances.

If you can afford it (or if some friends or relatives of yours would be willing to chip in on it), have you considered offering the church an earmarked donation for this purpose?