Yes 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
No 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 5

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 8:08 pm

JamesW wrote:
When any kind of treatment or therapy for children markets itself primarily as helping the parents, it is a very, very big red flag.

YES!! !! !! !

Wreck It Ralph

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 8:34 am

DOES APPLIED BEHAVIOR ANALYSIS REALLY HELP PEOPLE WITH AUTISM?

Quote:
The dramatic rise of autism diagnoses in recent decades has played out in a barrage of media coverage, from scare stories over an autism “epidemic” to claims of miracle cures. Today, this increase is understood to be largely the result of better screening to identify individuals with autism symptoms—in addition to evolving (and widening) diagnostic criteria. We now have a better understanding of the varied ways people experience autism spectrum disorder, which research has shown is significantly related to underlying genetics.

The public conversation about autism has long centered on one question—why?—with feverish scrutiny lavished on the potential “causes,” from debunked vaccine fears to genetics to dietary factors. For decades, autism research has reflected this focus, overwhelmingly focusing on the basic science of causation. This has included not just a search for the underlying “genes of autism” but also efforts to uncover environmental factors like atmospheric toxins, microbiome signatures, and telltale vitamin deficiencies. Other environmental factors being investigated include maternal immune response and complications during delivery.

Often lost in the search for genetic and environmental risk factors are countless other vital questions, says Eric Garcia, a Washington, D.C. journalist and author of the book We’re Not Broken: Changing the Autism Conversation. The United States continues to be more interested in finding out why people are autistic and less interested in “understanding what autistic people need right now,” says Garcia. “I want to be clear about this: I don’t think studying things like biological causes of autism is a bad thing,” he adds. “But when we spend that much of a chunk of research dollars on that, compared to services, that’s a problem.”

Services for people with autism have lagged far behind investments aimed at uncovering its cause, consistently accounting for less than 10 percent of federal funding, despite the fact that investment in services ranks as a top priority among people with autism. “We’re only in the womb for nine months!” jokes Garcia. “I think that it’s really crucially important that we spend research dollars for other things.”

Life expectancy among people with autism has been estimated between 36 and 54, with the broad range explained by injury, suicide, as well as conditions that are more common among people with autism, such as epilepsy. Meeting the service needs of people with autism and researching lifespan issues received just 6 percent and 2 percent of research funds in 2018. A 2021 review paper found that nearly a decade of advocacy by stakeholders in autism care had done little to drive up levels of investment in autism services by the National Institutes of Health, despite the 2012 Combating Autism Act calling for a more coordinated and comprehensive approach to federal investment.

What do these services look like today?

They are wide ranging. In different ways, they aim to tackle symptoms that impede day-to-day functioning and reduce a person’s quality of life, from relationship-based play time to occupational therapy that helps autistic people negotiate schools or workplaces. Given the diverse ways that autism spectrum disorder impacts the lives of children and adults, such a range of options is not unsurprising. But recent years have seen the growth of a single school of therapy, called applied behavior analysis or ABA, as the dominant, one-size-fits-all treatment. Its emergence is one of the most surprising—and controversial—realities of autism treatment in the United States today.

Although it was developed by psychologists, applied behavior analysis is distinct practice, which acts at the level of behavior. Rather than delving into the brain’s workings., it teaches skills and pushes modified behavior through systematic reinforcement. Many applied behavior analysis clinics today target a “developmental window” in which they seek to enroll children from around 18 months to six years old and work with them intensively for up to 40 hours a week, often for years. The most common form of applied behavior analysis is “discrete trial training,” which breaks down daily situations and social interactions, such as playtime with other children or brushing one’s teeth, into organized cue-and-response tasks, in which the child receives praise or reward for responding appropriately.

Jon Bailey, a board certified behavior analyst and professor emeritus of psychology at Florida State University, who has worked in applied behavior analysis for four decades, says that sessions must be tailored to each child’s needs and should be continually adapted to their progress: “It’s a diagnostic method of determining which behaviors need to be changed, in what order, and to what amount. And going through those in a very systematic fashion.”

At the core of the practice is individualized data. When applied behavior analysis is done correctly, Bailey says, it cannot be a cookie-cutter system. Records are gathered from each session, then analyzed to fine-tune an evolving treatment plan. “The nature of the treatment is such that it’s constantly being evaluated,” he says. “If it’s done right.”

Unlike many other therapies, which emphasize qualitative, often self-reported improvements in a person’s wellbeing, applied behavior analysis produces piles of quantifiable data, which its proponents claim makes this approach “empirically proven to be the most effective method for treating individuals with autism.” When states began to be aware of a need to provide care for autism, this data brought applied behavior analysis to the front of the line, says John McLaughlin, who has led autism and special needs education businesses in Minnesota, Tennessee, and South Dakota for 45 years. Advocates call it the “gold standard” for autism treatment, and it is recognized as a best practice therapy by the U.S. Surgeon General and by the American Psychological Association.

Still, applied behavior analysis is one of the most divisive and emotive subjects in autism today, with debate reaching the American Medical Association (AMA) in the summer of 2022. In response to a petition to withdraw its previously explicit support for applied behavior analysis, the AMA instead removed a specific reference to the therapy and declared its endorsement for all “evidence-based” care, opening the door to non-behavioral approaches. Applied behavior analysis’ position as the sole therapy for autism that is covered by insurers in most states is a barrier to the development of alternative therapies, at the very least.

“In no other area of child development does government prescribe and mandate access to one—and only one—packaged therapy.”
Scores of studies demonstrate that applied behavior analysis can help reduce so-called problem behaviors, but at the same time, the therapy has become “a quasi-monopoly” that critics say goes against the best interests of autistic Americans. “Treating a spectrum disorder with a uniform model is unique as well as paradoxical,” says John Summers, a Massachusetts-based writer whose son has autism, writing in The Nation. “In no other area of child development does government prescribe and mandate access to one—and only one—packaged therapy.”

By 2019, some two-thirds of Americans with autism had received applied behavior analysis therapies, which are overwhelmingly designed for young children. This makes the United States an outlier, with the uptake of this therapy much lower in comparable countries worldwide, and sporadic across Europe. Apart from the United States, only Canada and Australia certify behavior analysts, with the United Kingdom set to join in 2025. But a recent report that made recommendations for the British National Health Service found intensive applied behavior analysis was unlikely to provide sufficient health improvements to justify its high cost.

The use of intensive, regimented 40-hours-a-week schedules for young children is particularly disputed. Some studies have found the 40-hour weekly regimen effective at supporting long-term change, but the overall evidence base is low and the United States remains a global outlier in its wholehearted adoption of intensive applied behavior analysis. “As far as the actual empirical evidence for the 40-hours-a-week claim, it’s paper-thin,” says Zack Williams, chair of the International Society for Autism Research’s committee for autistic researchers.

A hugely controversial 2019 report for the Department of Defense came to similar conclusions when analyzing the experience of veterans’ families insured under Tricare, a health care program for U.S. service members and their families. It found that 76 percent show little to no change in symptom presentation over the course of 12 months of applied behavior analysis services, with an additional 9 percent demonstrating worsening symptoms. Some advocates for applied behavior analysis criticized the findings as “flawed,” but in 2021, Tricare reformed its autism program to stop funding for some behavior services and expanded coverage for other services. Another DOD report in 2021 found that 57 percent of participants in the program made “statistically significant improvements” with applied behavior analysis compared to 43 percent showing no improvement or worsening symptoms.

“The data is at best inconclusive,” Garcia says.

Rarest of all are studies that compare applied behavior analysis to alternative therapies, which could provide better information to help people make informed decisions about what’s best for people with autism, says Williams. A 2021 study by Sally Rogers at University of California, Davis compared discrete trial training with a play-based therapy, each in doses of 15 and 25 hours a week. Surprisingly, neither the therapy nor the dose had overall effects on child outcomes.

“These are the kinds of trials that we need,” says Williams, “and are very rarely done.”

But the AMA’s debate also reflects a more fundamental disagreement. The growth in applied behavior analysis therapies has coincided with the rising prominence of autistic self-advocacy organizations that typically embrace neurodiversity—the belief that differences in brain function are natural and should be accepted, not corrected. Many autistic self-advocates say applied behavior analysis is harmful compliance training, designed to make neurodivergent people act “normal.” These advocates have referred to behavior therapies as torture, trauma-inducing, or akin to gay conversion therapy—the highly controversial and discredited practice of seeking to change the sexual or gender identities of LGBTQ+ youth.

Critics tell parents to do their research and look into the field’s origins. Go back to behaviorism’s “father” B. F. Skinner or further and this becomes a mind-boggling journey through controversial human experiments, Cold War espionage, and basketball playing racoons, not to mention dehumanizing language. Discrete trial training, the earliest form of applied behavior analysis for autism, was first known as the Lovaas model, developed at UCLA by Skinner’s student Ivar Lovaas, who pioneered behaviorism as an early intervention for autism in the 1960s.

In a 1974 interview with Psychology Today, Lovaas explained that his approach had been built on the shocking-to-our-modern-eyes view that people with autism are not yet “people” and must be constructed by therapy: “You have a person in the physical sense—they have hair, a nose, and a mouth—but they are not people in the psychological sense,” said Lovaas in the 1974 interview.

In its earliest form, it was a system of drills and routines designed to modify undesirable behavior that included both positive feedback and systematic punishments called “aversives.” Lovaas became known to the public through a photo essay published in Life magazine in 1965 titled “Screams, Slaps, and Love,” showing autistic children receiving slaps and shocks, which Lovaas’ supporters argued made up a minute fraction of the program.

By the 1990s, such aversives had largely been phased out in favor of withholding rewards or ignoring undesired behavior. Yet controversies have dogged the practice of ABA, whose critics question its academic separation from mainstream autism research—research results are often found only in behavioralist journals and conferences but not typically in their neuroscience and medical journal counterparts. Some even question its basis of evidence. “I think it expanded without a lot of evidence to support it,” says Connie Kasari, a professor at UCLA who focuses on non-ABA autism therapy. “There’s evidence, but it works for just some people at some ages. So we’re not training providers in the community to be, you know, a better therapist or better interventionist.”

Significantly, states mostly adopted laws requiring insurers to cover applied behavior analysis before the rise of the self-advocacy movement, says Garcia. “I think that is important because it was done without the input of autistic people.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 12:39 pm

I have been doing a lot of research on ABA lately, not because of this thread, I am just cycling special interests. Now that I understand more than I did before, I am definitely not a fan of ABA. In fact, I find it much more scary now that I know what I know. Even the new ABA does not sit right with me. Even though they are now claiming to not punish children in ABA, and they are now claiming to only use a reward system to solve "problem behaviors," I don't like it. One reason is that first of all, they want parents and guardians to use the same techniques at home at all times. One therapist even said that the techniques should be used with the children every single moment that they are awake and that the goal of combined ABA therapy and at home ABA should be one hundred hours a week. This video I watched was posted ten months ago and this woman was heralding how this is the new child friendly ABA. There were some other things that were said in that video that disgusted me to the point of making me sick.

Another problem that I have with ABA is that it teaches children that they only time they are acceptable and worthy of praise or attention is when they are complying to the demands of other people. It destroys all sense of autonomy and authentic identity. If the goal is that this child has to be compliant to every authority figure every waking hour, 100 hours a week in order to receive attention of praise, that is really scary.

Another problem that I saw in one of the videos was an ABA therapist who used tickling the child on the chest as praise. Every single time the child complied, he would say, "Good Job!" and tickle the child's chest. This scares me.

Another issue I have with a system that only looks to change behaviors is that no one is understanding the reason for the behaviors. I am also in doing a special interest study on Autistic catatonia since I have that condition. It has now been medically proven that a lot of Autistic and otherwise ND aggression and self injurious behaviors are not behavioral issues at all but are, in fact, a version of catatonia. There are not medications and medical procedures that are safe and extremely effective in fixing these issues. But using ABA to force children to correct these "behaviors" is equivalent to forcing a child to undergo hours of dehumanizing behavioral therapy to correct his severe and chronic asthma.

Now, the technical definition of ABA is, the study of learning. So technically, ABA can mean anything that fits that definition. So if an adult chooses to do ABA and s/he is fine with how it is done, and if it is helping him/her, I have no problem with it. But I do not agree that it should be used on children who have no choice.

Wreck It Ralph

elotepreparado
Raven
Raven

06 Feb 2024, 10:30 pm

I had a behavioral therapy. It was explicitly called ABA. I thought it helped me in a way. In a way...

I learned what was inappropriate for me to do in school and around others. I learned how to train out some repetitive behaviors I had in my arms, hands, and feet that was "distracting" to others. It bothered me but people in class talked about me less and my mom appreciated getting less looks from strangers.

I learned to blend in a bit more which felt nice at the time. But now I as an adult I still feel guilt about my behaviors and I constantly feel very ashamed. I don't know if it is the therapy or the reactions from others or both. I feel like a freak in public sometimes because I can barely control myself.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 10:59 pm

I suppose one of the perks of late diagnosis is my parents were never conned into placing me in ABA.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD