Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 5:33 pm

What kind of dental work have you received?

What was it like?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 6:01 pm

I get my teeth cleaned every three months.
I've had all four wisdom teeth removed.
I got "dry socket" which is a very painful infection.
Getting them out was nothing compared to dry socket.

I've had several root canals.
I'm not sure how many.
My guess is about four.
I like root canals because they stop pain.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 12:09 am

I get my teeth cleaned every 6 months.
I had my top 2 wisdom teeth out (I only ever got 2) because there wasn't enough room in my mouth to clean them properly.
I got dry socket after the extraction which was very painful - thank god for clove oil.
I don't have any fillings and haven't had any other dental work done.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 4:13 pm

Had a filling taken out and replaced today. First time at the dentist in 10 years. I hated it, but the dentist was very nice.

Never heard of going to a dentist to have your teeth cleaned 8O

I am in the UK and our dental service is quite a mess tbh. It's hard to even find one that will accept new patients.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 6:05 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Had a filling taken out and replaced today. First time at the dentist in 10 years. I hated it, but the dentist was very nice.

Never heard of going to a dentist to have your teeth cleaned 8O

I am in the UK and our dental service is quite a mess tbh. It's hard to even find one that will accept new patients.

In the US it's normal to go in for a cleaning and examination, provided you have insurance or can pay. IIRC, the out of pocket isn't necessarily that much. It's usually recommended to go twice yearly for cleaning and examination, although 3 or 4 times a year is often worth if you've got the resources.

Personally, I had both my wisdom teeth out, one root canal and a few fillings and sealing jobs done. And that's about it.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2024, 6:09 pm

I had a root canal earlier this year. I had it without any anesthesia and didn't find it terrible painful. I have a generally high pain threshold that I attribute my autism.

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Jan 2024, 7:07 pm

my dog had a root canal on his canine tooth. i just do cleanings though. never needed a root canal personally

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 7:11 pm

alex wrote:
my dog had a root canal on his canine tooth. i just do cleanings though. never needed a root canal personally

I didn't know they gave dogs root canals. It makes sense now that I think about it.

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Jan 2024, 7:53 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
alex wrote:

I didn't know they gave dogs root canals. It makes sense now that I think about it.

yeah don't let ur dogs chew on anything harder than rubber (especially if you don't have pet insurance that covers root canals, but even then it should be avoided)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2024, 8:07 am

Dealing with overbite. Very likely due to growing up with breathing issues.
Another major crap to deal with no thanks to untreated chronic sinusitis.

At 5th grade, I tripped and had one of my front teeth broken. Only did some fillings.

Never checked or had any other dental work after that. Other baby teeth just left on its own.
So that broken tooth gave me chronic headaches and several other symptoms, left unresolved for nearly a decade.

Until just 3+ years ago, some time between pandemic times, I ended up with at least 5 front teeth removed -- unsure why get rid of the OTHER teeth and reasoned it's because it was 'moved'.

But there's only one unhealthy tooth. :x
Couldn't find a time to complain because I've been focused at the fact that the damn headache is gone AND the fact that the procedure was just happening before me.

No one told me of the plan of how it is going to do it. They reasoned it's because it's getting in the way, and all of it are protruding.
WTF do they mean about that?
Then, trying for braces are more expensive. :roll: That's not an option for me out of sheer financial lacking.

Ended up with a cheap tooth bridge that got broken a year after.
Replaced it last year with a better one.

Recently, getting rid of my upper left wisdom tooth.

Now, planning to get rid of my right upper wisdom tooth. As soon as 2 months from now.

I don't really care if I were going to the dentist on a regular basis. Or any medical procedures in any case.
Just as long as it solves something in long term.
The problem is simply because my household cannot afford it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2024, 10:09 am

Nothing too major. I never had any wisdom teeth. I've had plenty of fillings, at least one root canal and a couple of extractions.

I have two gaps in my teeth. One is where i had a milk tooth that never had an adult tooth develop behind it. That lasted until i was in my twenties. The other just shattered.

In the UK we have NHS dentistry which is very basic (and is subsidised but not free) and its good but its also kind of why British teeth are famous for being bad. People either think that basic service is all you need, or they can't afford to have better dental care. Most of us don't have insurance that covers it.

I've never had enough money to justify fixing my two gaps although I'd like to.

Once i was so poor i opted to have a filling done without anaesthetic. Don't recommend that.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2024, 5:34 pm

I was OK for a long time on the NHS, apart from a couple of cavities that needed filling. Eventually I stopped going, and went fine for a decade or so, then a molar suddenly collapsed. So I signed up with a private dentist (didn't look easy to find a NHS one), and he did a root filling and porcelain crown, and got me to look after my teeth better. Occasionally I had a cavity or needed another root filling. Then a few years ago a couple of the molar root fillings went bad and I got dental implants to replace them. That cost a lot of money and was the worst dental experience I've ever had, but the result has been very good.

I dislike all visits to health professionals because there's always the risk of bad news and uncomfortable interventions. But I go when I can see a good reason to. In the UK they don't seem to bother much with sedation, while in the USA they do. I was once offered some green liquid in the UK for the extraction of a couple of wisdom teeth at the very back, so I accepted that, and it was the easiest bit of dental work I've ever had. Apart from that I've just been given local anaesthetic injection for all the other stuff. The pain of those needles is one thing. Then there's the sensory issues I get during the surgery, and worrying in case I move my tongue and get it spiked with the drill or whatever.

I've been told to use interdental brushes every day, especially on some places at the back where they say my gum health isn't very good. So I've been complying, but I hate the things. I've also got a water flosser which is a lot easier and drives out a lot of bits of stuck food, but they say it's not enough.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 5:10 am

Cleanings, X-rays, fillings, root canals, crowns, will be getting another crown this year, then an implant where I'm missing a tooth etc.

What's it like? Very expensive. The tooth I need crowned + the implant I need are over $9k combined.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 1:27 am

I've had 4 fillings, two on the top and two on the bottom.

I go to have a scale and clean every six months.

When I was 25 I got braces as I had an overbite and protruding front teeth. Along with the braces I had jaw surgery. My lower jaw was split down both sides and brought forward. I was in the ICU for 24 hours after that operation as all my airways had tubes down them and my jaw was wired shut. The surgeon also removed my top two wisdom teeth. I recovered easily from the surgery and I was never in any pain. Just a bit uncomfortable. I had to only eat soft foods for a month afterwards as I couldn't chew. I had elastic bands around my teeth preventing me from opening my mouth wide. McDonald's thickshakes ftw. I have to say I'm pretty happy and confident with smiling now.

I've never had a root canal and would like to know what causes the need for one?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 2:17 am

renaeden wrote:
I've never had a root canal and would like to know what causes the need for one?

Infection in the root cavity. Usually accompanied by pain. They drill it out, relieve pressure, squirt some stuff inside to kill off infection and kill the nerve. At a later appointment they complete the root canal removing the nerve, cleaning everything out, and seal it up. Next step after that is to get a mould made for a crown, wait for that from some denturist/dental mechanic and then the dentist can “glue,” the new cap (crown) on, basically.

I have one thats mid process. Needs a crown.

A tooth above it had the whole process years ago and was crowned but it broke off - there was very little remaining tooth post on that one. Pretty sure I accidentally broke it putting a log on my shoulder to carry at the beach for firewood - it rolled on my shoulder and bumped my face. Tooth cracked and within a week broke off. I had the rest of it pulled and it’s all healed over. That one needs an implant.. surgical steel threaded post gets embedded in my jaw bone next and then after that heals up then they put the fake tooth on it - more expensive but healthier for your jawbone and neighbouring teeth than doing a bridge.

Implants are the only thing there’s no rate guide here for, so dentists can charge whatever they want. Ranges from $2-6k+ per tooth.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 11:06 pm

Thank you, goldfish21. :)

I don't think I could stand having an infected root cavity. I've never had tooth or gum pain (except for ulcers as a kid).