Sent to prison for dog cruelty extreme?

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 12:05 pm

Cruelty - "The intentional infliction of physical or mental distress".

Domestic animals are helpless and dependent, incapable of getting their own food and water in the home or even in a barn. Most animals who are abused - especially to the extent that it is intentional and thus would be considered "cruelty" - are restrained or incapacitated in some way that they can't even fight back or defend themselves. I won't describe how because it makes me sick.

They don't have the skill to phone someone for help, plot an escape intellectually, or bear witness against the person in court, except by sustaining grievous injuries which might later be photographed.

We wouldn't tolerate this treatment of our weakest, most vulnerable and mute humans or children by people who plan for us to suffer.

We can't allow it of animals, either.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 12:26 pm

In the UK the maximum sentence for animal abuse was just six months until a couple of years ago. Now it's 5 years. I don't know if anyone has ever actually received 5 years.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 12:51 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that people should be sent to jail for dog cruelty and locked up for life.

Personally I think you'd need to have a pretty extreme example of animal cruelty before life in prison should be on the table, considering the other crimes where life in prison is applied.

Putting someone away for the rest of their natural life is a big deal and probably should be reserved for particularly terrible acts.

Especially when you consider how broadly cruelty to animals can be defined.

Okay, the average lifespan of a dog or cat.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 1:16 pm

I’ve signed petitions where unspeakable cruelty has been done to animals.
I won’t go into details or post photos.
Some I wished I’d never seen.
Most serial killers started on animals.Then graduated to people.
It’s something that should be taken seriously.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 1:52 pm

Misslizard wrote:
People that abuse animals will abuse people.
Lock them up.

That's not true. Some will, done won't. The line can be a bit fuzzy about what exactly constitutes abuse, but it's a minority that ultimately graduate to hurting people.

For one reason it another some people view animals as being more than animals and some don't.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 2:17 pm

Wrong.

https://leb.fbi.gov/articles/featured-a ... 20offenses.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 3:40 pm

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/so ... to-animals

https://aldf.org/wp-content/uploads/202 ... tsheet.pdf

https://leb.fbi.gov/articles/featured-a ... 20offenses.

Last edited by Misslizard on 04 Jan 2024, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 3:44 pm

I would prefer to not be around people that kick dogs or cats because if an animal is not available they will use a human.Too many statistics prove this.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 3:50 pm

As far as the original question is concerned, I'd probably have serious reservations about anyone who didn't think prison was appropriate for animal cruelty, especially depending on the nature/severity.

Anecdotal evidence but relevant: my ex has proven himself to be an evil piece of s**t. He started with abusing/torturing animals. I didn't know about that until after I found myself stuck with that sorry-excuse-for-a-human-being.

I suspect other members have experienced something similar.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 04 Jan 2024, 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 3:52 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that people should be sent to jail for dog cruelty and locked up for life.

Personally I think you'd need to have a pretty extreme example of animal cruelty before life in prison should be on the table, considering the other crimes where life in prison is applied.

Putting someone away for the rest of their natural life is a big deal and probably should be reserved for particularly terrible acts.

Especially when you consider how broadly cruelty to animals can be defined.

Okay, the average lifespan of a dog or cat.

That's probably a good rule of thumb, at least here. 10-15 years would be perfectly reasonable for a lot of those cases. Especially gratuitous cases should probably get more, milder cases can probably receive less.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 3:55 pm

The challenge lies in proving intent. Even if some moron leaves his or her pet in a hot car they often claim it was unintentional, and they simply forgot they were pet guardians during their lapse in judgment. People do and say the same after murdering their own forgotten children in hot cars, ffs, and they usually serve short sentences despite the horrendous suffering involved. They too claim it wasn't intentional to pay more attention to their text messages, their business meeting, or their lipstick in the car mirror than to the fact they're parents.

Afaic people like that should be locked up in psychiatric hospitals if not for criminal negligence, for whatever personality disorder causes them to forget their responsibilities.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 3:57 pm

https://www.americanhumane.org/fact-she ... %2C%201998).

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 4:02 pm

My ex threatened to torture and kill my dog - at the time, she was my service dog.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 4:05 pm

My ex-partner killed my dog. I think I've shared the story before but I'm not in any mood to repeat it. He was a selfish, narcissistic, abusive, manipulative, alcoholic, drug-addicted, lying sack of sh!t and con artist who made threats against me and carried them out so I'd suffer. When we were together he promised that if I left him, he'd destroy me specifically, but also my children, my home, my employment, and my pets.

By the end of our acquaintance and subsequent legal action, he had done it all.

Don't anyone f*****g start me about animal cruelty.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 4:20 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
My ex threatened to torture and kill my dog - at the time, she was my service dog.

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My ex-partner killed my dog. I think I've shared the story before but I'm not in any mood to repeat it. He was a selfish, narcissistic, abusive, manipulative, alcoholic, drug-addicted, lying sack of sh!t and con artist who made threats against me and carried them out so I'd suffer. When we were together he promised that if I left him, he'd destroy me specifically, but also my children, my home, my employment, and my pets.

By the end of our acquaintance and subsequent legal action, he had done it all.

Don't anyone f*****g start me about animal cruelty.

Sorry to hear about these tragedies, scumbags should be punished

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 4:32 pm

belijojo wrote:
What I object to is everyone who abuses animals being put in jail.

There definitely has to be a reasonable definition of what qualifies as criminal abuse.

None of us support child abuse, but it would be insane to jail every parent who's ever raised their voice.

None of us support animal abuse, but likewise there's gotta be a clear definition of when it rises to the point of being criminal.

If someone strikes an aggressive, off-leash dog that shouldn't be a criminal act, for example.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う