Elon Musk: Free speech for neo-Nazis but not Palestinians

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2024, 3:54 pm

This is old news, but I just now ran across it:

Opinion: Why on Earth Are Jewish Leaders Praising Elon Musk? by Michelle Goldberg, New York Times, November 20, 2023:

Quote:
Last week a self-described Jewish conservative named Charles Weber took to X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, to address the “cowards hiding behind the anonymity of the internet and posting ‘Hitler was right.’” Weber dared those trolls to “say it to our faces.” One X user took him up on it.

“Okay,” the user replied. Jewish communities “have been pushing the exact kind of dialectical hatred against whites that they claim to want people to stop using against them.” Echoing the great replacement conspiracy theory, which holds that Jews are scheming to undermine white political power by importing Black and brown immigrants, he accused Jews of flooding America with “hordes of minorities.” Therefore, he said, he was “deeply disinterested” in Jewish panic about mounting antisemitism.

Then Elon Musk, the owner of X and one of the richest men in the world, chimed in, responding: “You have said the actual truth.”

Musk’s words caused a firestorm and led to a major advertising exodus from X, but they shouldn’t have been that surprising, because he has been flirting with antisemitism for a while now.

The article then goes on to mention some examples of anti-Jewish bigotry expressed by Elon Musk, plus his legal battles with the Anti-Defamation League and Media Matters for America. It then says:

Quote:
So I wasn’t shocked by Musk’s words. I was astonished, however, by how easily, in the days following his antisemitic outburst, Musk was able to win praise from a few Jewish leaders simply by promising to censor common pro-Palestinian language. The sordid episode was a reminder of the moral rot that comes from conflating the state of Israel with the Jewish people, a rot we see on both sides of the ferocious fight over Israel’s future.

Since Oct. 7, Jews the world over have been confronted by vicious antisemitism unleashed by hatred of Israel. I’ve long argued that anti-Zionism and antisemitism aren’t the same thing; the leftists who want to see a binational state in Israel and Palestine with equal rights for all may be naïve, but they are not genocidal. However, the explosion of anti-Jewish rhetoric and violence occasioned by the war in Gaza — the stabbing of a Jewish woman in France, the shootings of Jewish day schools in Montreal, the killing of a Jewish protester near Los Angeles — has forced me to reckon with how often anti-Zionism and antisemitism are intertwined. Abhorrence of the Jewish state slips easily into abhorrence of Jews.

On the right, though, there’s a mirror image of this slippage, with some defenders of the Jewish state willing to make excuses for antisemites so long as they champion Israel. The apocalyptic Christian Zionist pastor John Hagee, for example, has said that Adolf Hitler was sent by God to drive the Jews to Israel, “the only home God ever intended for the Jews to have,” and claimed that the Antichrist would be “partially Jewish, as was Adolf Hitler, as was Karl Marx.” (He later apologized for his insensitivity even as he said, “I cannot deny the tenets of my faith.”) Despite his inflammatory words about Jews, Hagee was invited to speak at the March for Israel in Washington last week. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel has regularly embraced nationalist leaders who deploy antisemitic tropes, Donald Trump chief among them.

Musk appears to have learned the lesson that ardent Zionism can function as an alibi for antisemitism. As advertisers fled X last week, he suddenly announced that he was going to ban the pro-Palestinian slogan “From the river to the sea,” as well as “decolonization,” a buzzword on the anti-Zionist left. The move made a mockery of the ostensible free speech absolutism that was Musk’s excuse for allowing so much antisemitism on X in the first place. It did nothing to curb overt white nationalists on the site, many of whom had celebrated Musk’s “actual truth” post. But it was enough to earn him plaudits from some Jewish and Israeli spokespeople.

[...]

X’s erratic owner was able to win this approval without even apologizing for boosting the very antisemitic conspiracy theory behind the 2018 shooting at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh. It’s hard to figure out who is behaving more cynically, Musk or the Jewish leaders who are koshering him.

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jan 2024, 5:40 pm

Elon Musk only wants freedom of speech for himself.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2024, 9:14 am

NibiruMul wrote:
Elon Musk only wants freedom of speech for himself.

Yeah, well, I guess the old adage applies that he owns twitter, and therefore gets to decide what is acceptable.

Just like every other internet message board.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2024, 10:06 am

We may have to consider making it illegal to criticize people who aren't white, cis-het, Christian males.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2024, 2:15 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
We may have to consider making it illegal to criticize people who aren't white, cis-het, Christian males.

This sounds like satire.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2024, 6:39 am

Elon Musk had everything handed to him on a silver platter. I like people who work hard to earn their successes. People like Oprah Winfrey, Madonna, The Kinks and The Beatles. People from working class backgrounds who fight to get to the top. I don't care for trust fund babies like Justin Trudeau and Elon Musk.