Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2024, 7:23 am

MaxE wrote:
belijojo wrote:

I suddenly realized that you think I am not qualified to dictate the internal affairs of the United States. I believe that human beings should unite across national, political, cultural, racial or class lines to promote their common interests.i think i have the right

Why can't you criticize? As long as xi is not perfect enough, you can and even should criticize him. If an doctrine is afraid of criticism and criticism can make it disappear, then this doctrine is of no use.

I have no such feelings towards you. My response wasn't personally directed at you. But I don't know how to convince you of that. Please continue to speak freely.

sorry

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2024, 7:31 am

MaxE wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
MaxE wrote:
belijojo wrote:
When politicians fail to look beyond the next election – or even the latest tweet – they are neglecting the rights of future generations, argues public philosopher Roman Krznaric.
Why we need to reinvent democracy for the long-term

My reaction whenever I read that "we" must do one thing or another, is that I have to ask, who are "we"?

When people say we as a society need to accomplish something for our own self-interest, the 'we' in question are the members of that society, no?

But what exactly is it that "we" are going to do? Rise up and overthrow the existing order? Constitutional elections don't seem to allow for the sort of radical change the pundits say we need. Plus in an affluent society such as exists in North America and Western Europe, most people are way too comfortable in their personal lives to put themselves out there, except for the sort of people who stormed the Capitol or occupied the streets of Ottawa in 2021. Do you want those people to dictate your future?

There's more than one way to exert pressure.

I fail to see how you connect people actively trying to harm democracy to the need to reinforce democracy against those people. I'm also not sure Roman Krznaric was calling for any sort of radical changes to begin with. His position seems to much more be that democratic societies need to remember the need for long-term planning and goals, rather than over-emphasizing the short-term.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2024, 7:35 am

MaxE wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
MaxE wrote:
belijojo wrote:
When politicians fail to look beyond the next election – or even the latest tweet – they are neglecting the rights of future generations, argues public philosopher Roman Krznaric.

My reaction whenever I read that "we" must do one thing or another, is that I have to ask, who are "we"?

When people say we as a society need to accomplish something for our own self-interest, the 'we' in question are the members of that society, no?

But what exactly is it that "we" are going to do? Rise up and overthrow the existing order? Constitutional elections don't seem to allow for the sort of radical change the pundits say we need. Plus in an affluent society such as exists in North America and Western Europe, most people are way too comfortable in their personal lives to put themselves out there, except for the sort of people who stormed the Capitol or occupied the streets of Ottawa in 2021. Do you want those people to dictate your future?

procession? Call for improvements to the existing electoral system. If most people realize that the root cause of the current bad situation is the system, things will get better.
The reason the United States prohibits riots is that it has a moderate reform process.

On the contrary, if there are not many people who support it, it is a wise choice to wait. After all, waiting is the difference between us and MAGA.

Last edited by belijojo on 08 Jan 2024, 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2024, 7:39 am

funeralxempire wrote:
MaxE wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
MaxE wrote:
belijojo wrote:

There's more than one way to exert pressure.

I fail to see how you connect people actively trying to harm democracy to the need to reinforce democracy against those people. I'm also not sure Roman Krznaric was calling for any sort of radical changes to begin with. His position seems to much more be that democratic societies need to remember the need for long-term planning and goals, rather than over-emphasizing the short-term.

But when all is said and done, it's just talk. Not that I have a better solution. You may not appreciate how cynical I am. I'm not proposing any course of action. I did point out that the only people seeming willing to put themselves out there are angry populists. But I meant it ironically.