Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

pbrane29a
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2024, 9:58 pm

Does any here have a diagnosis of Schizophrenia and Autism? Would be really interested in other peoples experiences.Thanks.

milly
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jan 2024, 8:34 am

My current diagnosis is schizoaffective, but I have only recently (3 days ago) been diagnosed with autism. My psychiatrist said he'd review my diagnosis after my autism assessment. No idea if this means my sz diagnosis still stands.

justanotherpersonsomewhere23124
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Feb 2024, 9:28 pm

I have schizoaffective disorder and autism. I don’t know how common the comorbidity of these disorders are.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 10:00 pm

Autism and schizophrenia share coding mutations on a genetic level. Source:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-25532-4

"Our findings imply that, in part, neurodevelopmental disorders and schizophrenia have shared molecular aetiology, and therefore likely overlapping pathophysiology, and support the hypothesis that at least some forms of schizophrenia lie on a continuum of neurodevelopmental disorders."

As far as I know, the autism/schizophrenia spectrum is fairly intertwined and symptoms from one disorder often overlap with symptoms from the other.

It's a balancing act of symptoms really, and whether which symptoms fall into which camp (autism or schizophrenia) that determines things from a diagnostic standpoint.

pbrane1a4
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Mar 2024, 9:54 pm

I have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder and Paranoid Schizophrenia.

It’s not third distinct phenotype that I have.

elotepreparado
Raven
Raven

19 Mar 2024, 12:48 am

I know schizoid and schizophrenia are different. But this post reminded me of when I thought that my medical history said I might have schizophrenia.

Turns out that before a new psychiatrist knew that I was diagnosed with autism, he wrote that I might be "schizoid" with catatonia which I only recently learned was not schizophrenia or a psychotic disorder.

I have had hallucinations and delusions at certain periods when I was about 20 but that was attributed to depression or something? It was not diagnosed as a psychotic disorder, just as psychotic symptoms of something else. But schizophrenia is a risk. My dad was diagnosed aspergers but his aunt was diagnosed with schizophrenia and had severe hallucinations and delusions. Both have genetic risk.