Homeless people during cold freeze?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 2:40 am

This weekend is supposed to be extremely cold, so yeah I am worried about the people on the streets, like how will they survive this cold front with dangerous winds? LIke I don't have change to spare to them, but I also don't want them to die in the cold but there is nothing I can do...me and my boyfriends budget is alreadly pretty tight.

BUt everytime it gets to cold weather like this I worry about them, like it's supposed to be an entire weekend below freezing and Idk how people who don't have proper shelter can survive in that. LIke how many homeless die without the media even ever hearing about it.....and cities don't even report homless deaths really so it's like they really are forgotton. Yeah my town is supposed to have a very freezing cold weekend, and I am glad I have an apartment to live in...but I feel awful for all the homeless people stuck outside in those conditions.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 3:03 am

Morality above the social average
Why are there no shelters in Colorado? I feel that such a tragedy is a violation of human rights.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 3:22 am

It's the same cold here in the UK for this week. I think we are slightly more caring of our homeless than the US but god help them if Trump gets back in and starts WWIII as it will screw our economies even more with the resultant cuts to welfare and housing.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 4:37 am

belijojo wrote:
Morality above the social average
Why are there no shelters in Colorado? I feel that such a tragedy is a violation of human rights.

There are some shelters, and another person in the local subreddit mentioned there are places that at least give those people a place to warm up a bit. But yeah does not seem there is a for sure outreach to make sure people aren't freezing to death out in the cold.

I don't care if they are mentally ill and potential drug addicts, doesn't mean they deserve to freeze to death...they are still people.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 4:47 am

In Vancouver they open up additional shelter spaces & warming centres during extreme low temperatures. (and also for extreme highs for cooling.) There are several of them operated by non profits and charities etc and they accommodate 20-30 people each or something like that. I don't think it gets Everyone off the streets during the coldest nights, but a lot more. Some homeless people will seek refuge at 24h restaurants and just sort of hangout and try not to get kicked out and freeze.

I got a phone call this morning from one of our deceased friends mom's saying she had a few bags full of blankets and things (candied ginger, smoked salmon, dried blueberries, gloves, blankets) to take to the beach for the guys living there. So, I delayed work and drive to her place and to the beach and it was perfect timing - the two main residents were both there in the middle of the afternoon. I also took one of them a pretty good pair of long underwear + my old drysuit that's no longer sea worthy but the fabric is still water & windproof - a big "onesy," over suit.

Pretty sure those two dudes will survive as they have so far. Some aren't so lucky.. some freeze to death.. others die in fires trying to stay warm. On Christmas Day some dude died in a tent beneath the Vancouver Convention Centre somewhere (there's underground parking etc) when he was trying to warm a can of beans for dinner and a propane tank exploded.

It's quite rare people freeze to death in Vancouver, though.. because it rarely gets so cold people can't stay warm enough to stay alive. Part of why we have such a large homeless population.. it's possible to say F paying for rent and just survive in your car or outdoors here - not so easily done in almost anywhere else in Canada; you'd freeze to death.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 11:11 pm

I'm glad I'm not homeless. Canada handles the situation well.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 11:23 pm

Even people who do have homes are allowed to freeze to death here.

We're supposed to drop into the upper teens-low 20s even down here. Abbott let over 200 people freeze to death with the power grid disaster in 2021, yet people still voted for him in '22 because they were scared sh*tless that "Beto gunna take mah guns".

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

elotepreparado
Raven
Raven

06 Feb 2024, 2:32 pm

We have plenty of shelters and not many homeless people in my area. During the day of freezing temperatures that we had, we had many shelters open and many businesses kept open to act as shelters.

But some people died in their homes. From carbon monoxide poisoning, fire, and freezing. They didn't have heating or couldn't afford to keep the heating on. And they didn't know how to heat their home safely.

We almost never get freezing temperatures, we have high poverty rate, and many people here are immigrants from central america. So there tends to be less knowledge between everyone on how to keep warm. We are doomed every time we get freezing temperatures. It really is a disaster.