I Think I may have Sabotaged My Job Interview

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

David1346
Raven
Raven

13 Jan 2024, 2:03 pm

After quitting my Culinary Arts teaching job just over 4 months ago due to on-going issues with student harassment and bullying which I had not previously experienced in 32 years of teaching; I found a remote Culinary Arts teaching job. Having applied for the job, I was invited to do a remote interview last Friday. I think I may have sabotaged this interview.

Although the employer knew I was autistic and offered an accommodation which could have included a list of interview questions, I opted to do the interview without any assistance. The interview consisted of 4 questions that I had to answer in a virtual setting. Each answer was recorded. The interview gave 45 seconds for the applicant to consider a reply. It also allowed for up to 2 recordings.

I answered the questions and did two re-recordings (largely because part of the interview was interrupted by one of my overly needy cats). In retrospect I could have provided more complete and detailed answers. I knew this at the time I took the interview and could have addressed this issue but chose not to.

I can only surmise that I may have subconsciously tried to sabotage my interview.

I must admit that I'm not keen on being a virtual instructor. I did this during the Covid pandemic and had issues with students not turning on their cameras, not participating, and/or not even showing up to class. I googled the employer and found that their students had low test scores for reading, writing, and math compared to the public schools. For the record, test scores for most public schools are down across the board; so lower test scores via this employer are not at all impressive.

I am currently retraining as a special education teacher with an autism endorsement. I should be ready to apply for a special education job staring with the 2024-2025 school year.

Having said all of this, it's entirely possible that I may still be offered this job. It is after all, mid-school year, so the employer in question will not have had a lot of applicants.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I should do if I'm actually offered this job?

On the one hand, the salary and benefits package would be respectable, though not quite as good as what I earned through my last employer. On the other hand, I would likely be dealing with students who may not necessarily be motivated to learn. Under these circumstances, I anticipate a lot of pressure from school administrators to encourage me to pass students who might not deserve to receive passing grades.

David1346
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2024, 11:48 pm

Over 1,000 views and not a single suggestion.

Thanks.

That was sarcasm.

Goodbye.

spncr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2024, 6:30 pm

Were you offered the job?

I'd say only you can know if you have the energy reserves to make it worth giving a shot. It sounds like it might put you right back in burnout, which may not be worth it.

But if you're feeling strong and able, every batch of students should be given a fresh chance. The schools systems have been failing students just as they have been failing you as a teacher, so maybe, if you have the tools and perspective to give it a real go, it would be worth it.

Otherwise, I gather from your other posts that you don't need the job right now. Maybe it is better to pass on this job and save your energy for your special ed endorsement and the future that will unlock for you. At least you got some practice interviewing! That is worth something.