Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Vander571
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2024, 3:31 pm

Anyone have visual processing difficulties?

I've always had trouble tracking words on a page, get words mixed up, trouble typing. Also when to many things are moving around me. As well as Photophobia.

Reckon I have had this my whole life, but never had a name for it. It's like it's always just been there.

Some info here.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22847031/

I don't have Autism, I was born this way. I'm simply called an Autistic.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 9:25 pm

Yes, more or less exactly what you describe. It definitely gets worse when I'm tired though. I've personally found that spending short periods of time wearing an eye patch while gaming has helped a bit, but my brain just doesn't seem to properly integrate visual information very well.

vergil96
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jan 2024, 5:43 am

It hasn't led to serious problems at school or work, I seem to confuse order of words very often. I see the whole page more visually and remember the layout, but single words tend to move around. I have trouble finding things in a mess or other kind of visual clutter such as in a grocery shop, especially unknown. I don't like "easy to use" programming environments with lots of visual clutter that is meant to either make them more attractive or more readable. I prefer keyboard shortcuts and using terminal commands, because they never disappear in the crowds, so to speak. They also don't vanish after a software update.

Photophobia - yes, I have it too.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 2:19 pm

25th percentile visual processing ability. anything that happens in motion is simply too difficult for my brain to process. Can't watch movies, ride in strange cars without getting motion sick, no tv, no plays, no sports either watching or playing, including video games or other games like card games, etc... I also have very poor hearing processing. Mostly my brain just does not work in "real time" situations. It was such a relief to learn about my autism and my sensory processing disability (at age 68) .

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 4:42 pm

I have issues with visual snow (sparkly dots in my visual field), and was previously diagnosed with something else that was a visual processing related disorder.

This affects what type of visual devices I can use including PC monitors, televisions and so on.

I also have photophobia.