Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 6:33 pm

NibiruMul wrote:
Nowadays, you're no longer even required to be Catholic to send your kids to Catholic school.

I went to a Catholic school.
I'm not baptized and have never attended Mass (or other church services) outside of school.

Personally, my main issue is with brainwashing kids, nothing specific to autistic kids. I don't see any benefits for indoctrinating one's child into a cult, even a popular cult.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2024, 7:00 pm

Indoctrination is of major concern. I'm not saying there is no variance in Catholic schools, but the general Catholic church is unaccepting of people being LGBT (quote the current Pope all you like, the vast majority of what he has done has been empty. I call him the PR pope). This leads to teachers being fired for being in homosexual relationships/marriages and no doubt that comes down to children.

LGBT children need to grow up in environments that don't hide LGBT subjects from them or even worse openly shame people being LGBT (which understand, I do think that the former effectively does that, just not as openly). Otherwise, they can be confused and they can feel shame and learn to hate themselves instead of love themselves. This is the experience I had (I went to public school, so this is more general, but Christian schools are particularly dangerous). I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 11:20 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:
This is true, although most of that has nothing to do with the religion and be everything to do with ignorant people using religion to rationalize their own views.
Most of it has to do with the Bible itself. I know lots of people who don’t particularly like various things that are in the Bible but feel like they are wrong because they view it as God’s Word. I was there once, and it wasn’t a great place to be. It’s hard for people to know where to draw the line when it comes to stuff their holy book says. Even Jesus had harmful views and gave damaging advice on various topics. It’s kind of hard for believers to ignore those things when they view him as God/part of God/the Son of God/whatever.

I thought the arguments over that had pretty much ended due to the degree of squinting and "education" it took to come to those conclusions and they here degree to which such arguments depend on a vocabulary that wasn't yet invented at the time the books were being written.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 11:26 pm

People argue over this stuff all the time, perhaps especially those in stricter denominations. It’s often accompanied by accusations that the other side aren’t “true” Christians. :lol:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 11:41 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
NibiruMul wrote:
Nowadays, you're no longer even required to be Catholic to send your kids to Catholic school.

I went to a Catholic school.
I'm not baptized and have never attended Mass (or other church services) outside of school.

Personally, my main issue is with brainwashing kids, nothing specific to autistic kids. I don't see any benefits for indoctrinating one's child into a cult, even a popular cult.

Unless said child is like me; who perceives said methods of indoctrination as meaningless noise and annoyance of daily living.

And the rituals and 'manners' and 'hierarchical' stuff feels like a stage play than something that mattered that would gain my loyalty.

Oh, and being asexual and yet doesn't give a damn about purity culture.
And ended up being mistaken for an aspiring nun for being a 'voluntary celibate'. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2024, 8:04 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
People argue over this stuff all the time, perhaps especially those in stricter denominations. It’s often accompanied by accusations that the other side aren’t “true” Christians. :lol:

They do and I definitely don't dispute there being people that honestly believe all the BS. Even though I'm completely unqualified to have a position as I've long since left the Church, I don't consider those folks to be "real" Christians. Somehow Hanson's Disease sufferers and prostitutes are OK for Jesus, but being trans, gender nonbinary or gay is a bridge too far?

It's certainly an important factor to consider as there is a massively disproportionate number of lgbtqia+ folks that are autistic.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 12:10 am

Fenn wrote:
We always did. They like it.

So did we.

elotepreparado
Raven
Raven

08 Feb 2024, 1:14 am

I liked the routine of it. I was raised roman catholic. But yea, it started to scare me as I got older. Everything freaked me out because I didn't know what was a sin and what wasn't. And it scared me that the rules weren't so clear and that I wouldn't know my "results" as a sinner and believer until I literally died.

It was stressful when I was religious as a child. But the routine and community was helpful for me and my family up until a certain age.

Jason Thayer
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Mar 2024, 5:15 pm

I don't really think there's anything wrong with taking a child to church, or bringing up a child in a religious upbringing. That is, as long as the child is treated with compassion. Which I have been.

Suicidal_Vampire
Raven
Raven

07 Mar 2024, 3:27 pm

I've never learned anything in church, because I was unable to focus. (I probably have ADHD)
Afterwards, my mom and I might discuss the philosophy of it, but actual church did nothing for me.
I went to a Christian elementary school briefly where barely anyone was Christian, but they always made us have chapel on Wednesdays and wear uncomfortable clothes we were way too young for. (When I got out and went to middle school, I had no idea how to dress normally. All we wore were the expensive school uniforms; ties, belts, khaki pants and plaid skirts yk)
These services, however, I enjoyed much more, since they allowed us to ask questions and sing fun songs.
Feels like a good alternative, tho (some kind of children's service) instead of regular church that didn't make me want to claw my own eyes out in boredom.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 3:47 am

I plan on taking all my future children to church until they no longer live with me or close to me as I am a pastor and reverend. I think some of the issues regarding sensory overload are not as big of a deal for my fellowship since traditionally there are no instruments in worship. My theory is that acapella worship is more tolerable for some people with Asperger's.I plan on being at church literally 24/7 with my wife and kids because I plan on living with the brothers and sisters from church.Baptism might be a sensory overload for some of my kids.It wasnt for me though.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 4:17 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I plan on taking all my future children to church until they no longer live with me or close to me as I am a pastor and reverend. I think some of the issues regarding sensory overload are not as big of a deal for my fellowship since traditionally there are no instruments in worship. My theory is that acapella worship is more tolerable for some people with Asperger's.I plan on being at church literally 24/7 with my wife and kids because I plan on living with the brothers and sisters from church.Baptism might be a sensory overload for some of my kids.It wasnt for me though.

I was a baby when I was baptized, as was my daughter, so no problem.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2024, 4:36 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

I was a baby when I was baptized, as was my daughter, so no problem.

Oh okay.I see.